Winter Movie Horror Guide

erynthered

They all look great. The trailers are at the bottom of the link. BOO!!! :rolleyes:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk...rror-guide.html

Here's a brief look at the major theatrical horror film releases coming up in the first few months of 2010.

DAYBREAKERS

Release Date: January 8

Who thinks we need another vampire movie/TV series? I certainly don't. But this film does have some intriguing things going for it. The writers/directors are twin brothers from Australia with one well-received movie under their belt. Plus the last time Willem Dafoe was in a vampire movie, "Shadow of a Vampire," he was nominated for an Oscar. Definitely see this one.

LEGION

Release Date: January 22

From first-time director Scott Stewart, comes an apocalyptic tale of a band of people trying to fend off an invasion of angels in this fantasy horror film. Fantasy-horror? Angels as villains? Story-wise, I'm not interested, but Scott Stewart has done visual effects for "Sin City", "Harry Potter", and "Iron Man," so it could be entertaining. Go if effects are your thing, if not go see "Daybreakers" again.

FROZEN

Release Date: February 5

Remember "Open Water" from a few years back about the two divers who were left stranded in the middle of the ocean? Change the divers to skiers, leave them on a ski lift and you have "Frozen." Written and directed by Adam Green, the man who brought us "Hatchet" which was a solid retro-horror film from a few years back. This one should not be missed. Also, the sequel to "Hatchet," cleverly titled "Hatchet 2," is supposed to be released later this year.

THE WOLFMAN

Release Date: February 12

Oscar winners Benicio del Toro and Anthony Hopkins star in a remake written by Andrew Kevin Walker, the man who wrote "Se7en." All three of them have had misfires in the past and I'm not encouraged by the studio's decision to continually push the release date back. But we are due for a good werewolf movie, so be guardedly optimistic.

SHUTTER ISLAND

Release Date: February 19

Martin Scorsese, one of the great directors of our time, is trying his hand at the horror genre. "Shutter Island" is based on a novel by Dennis Lehane, who also wrote the novel "Mystic River." "Mystic River" was a far superior book than "Shutter Island," but this is a Martin Scorsese horror film, which is as rare as a good blind date. Definitely check this one out.

THE CRAZIES

Release Date: February 26

Originally a below-average George Romero film, "The Crazies" is being remade by Breck Eisner, who directed "Sahara." I really like the idea of remaking bad movies. Seriously, why remake a good movie? It's already good. Studios should look at bad movies with the idea of improving on them, kind of like what John Carpenter did with "The Thing." That said, my gut says this one's not going to be very good or interesting. Go watch "Night of the Living Dead" again.

With a start like this, 2010 promises to be a banner year for horror films. Also, keep in mind that we still have the reboot of "Nightmare on Elm Street" with Jackie Earle Haley playing Freddy Krueger, "Scream IV", and Alexandre Aja, the man who brought us "High Tension" remaking Joe Dante's "Piranha" but this time, in 3-D. What more could a good horror fan want?