thoughts on relegation / promotion

Cugalabanza

I thought if might be fun to debate the idea of relegation/promotion, like they have in the European soccer leagues. I think it would be a cool idea, for example, for the worst NFL team each year to switch leagues with the UFL (or similar minor league) champion. (Possibly making it two teams each a few years down the road).

I think there are a lot of positives. It would lend immediate credibility to the UFL. The importance of winning that league would go from zero to huge overnight. It would add meaning to some otherwise meaningless late season NFL games where the bottom teams now have to fight for their NFL lives instead of phoning it in for a top draft pick. It would put extra pressure on owners to put a better product on the field for their fans.

I'm sure there are problems and levels of complication that I'm not considering, but I think it's an interesting idea. I think it would add spice to the game.

What do you think?

I thought if might be fun to debate the idea of relegation/promotion, like they have in the European soccer leagues. I think it would be a cool idea, for example, for the worst NFL team each year to switch leagues with the UFL (or similar minor league) champion. (Possibly making it two teams each a few years down the road).

I think there are a lot of positives. It would lend immediate credibility to the UFL. The importance of winning that league would go from zero to huge overnight. It would add meaning to some otherwise meaningless late season NFL games where the bottom teams now have to fight for their NFL lives instead of phoning it in for a top draft pick. It would put extra pressure on owners to put a better product on the field for their fans.

I'm sure there are problems and levels of complication that I'm not considering, but I think it's an interesting idea. I think it would add spice to the game.

What do you think?

Probably would work better with baseball