Home theatre question

PromoTheRobot

Santa got us the Roku HD-XR for Christmas, and it is definitely a slick box. Having to set up the queue on our PC is a nominal issue. However, what IS an issue is that the Roku has no power toggle. Why does this matter? Because I run my sources (DirecTV receiver/DVR and Blu-Ray) through a 4x1 HDMI Sony receiver, and when you switch to the Roku input, there is no handshaking between the HDMI ports because the handshaking relies, to a large extent, on the Roku being powered up to send the signal. Since it's always on, the only way to route the image is to either unplug/plug in the power cord on the Roku, or go component, which is stupid for obvious reasons.

Now, there's a good chance that I need a higher-grade HDMI cable. I spoke with Monoprice, who said this was a common problem, so they set me up with a cable that should remedy the situation. Cable arrives today, so I'll know if it works shortly.

Otherwise, it is a very cool box. Using wireless network connection, and so far, no problems at all. The links to things like Facebook, Pandora and Flickr are particularly cool as well.

For handshaking issues and/or longer HDMI runs, I highly recommend BlueJeans Cable.

For handshaking issues and/or longer HDMI runs, I highly recommend BlueJeans Cable.

I installed the Monoprice cable today, and now the thing is acting like a chick. Sometimes it gets the signal on the switch, sometimes it doesn't. Sucks. I really don't want to pull out the receiver and run component.

I installed the Monoprice cable today, and now the thing is acting like a chick. Sometimes it gets the signal on the switch, sometimes it doesn't. Sucks. I really don't want to pull out the receiver and run component.

Thats definitely a handshake issue then. BlueJeans is really proud of their HDMI cable...it's the only one manufactured in the US, last I knew....it's very substantial, top notch build quality, and have had no issues with my 25' run from BD to projector. It's more expensive than the monoprice, but not unreasonably so.

I definitley hear ya about the component...this whole HDMI thing has been a bit of a pain in the arse for me, too, but now that I have everything under control I love it.

What kind of rig are you running these days? Been a while since I heard about the state of your system.