Home theatre question

PromoTheRobot

A few months back we bought a Mitsubishi HDTV. Love it. Great picture. What sold it to my wife was the surround sound "bar" built into the set. She figured it would save us money on buying a home theater setup. Well we get it home and it sounds okay but no surround effect whatsoever. Played around with the settings, had a tech from the store come over, nada.

So now I'm itching to get a real 5-speaker surround sound. Been looking online and it seems that there are setups that are around $200. That appeals to me since we already bought a nice wireless subwoofer when we bought the TV. Here are my question:

1) Can you get anything decent for $200-$250?

2) How is the sound connected? From cable box with an HDMI, then HDMI to the set, or with audio cables (RCA jacks) from the TV?

3) Does the surround sound need it's own separate remote or will the TV control the volume?

4) I've seen some DVD layers that can go online to download Netflix movies. Can these also browse the web and put that pirated webstream of a Sabres game on my set if I want?

PTR

let me jump in before the audio snobs do...

Good sound is personal preference. Only you can decide price/performance. If a $10 transistor radio sounds good to you then you save a lot of money.

1. Most would say no. Certainly not something built well. But, you may find a mass produced item that sounds good to you. IF so, no harm no foul.

2. Surround sound needs to be connected from your box to your HT receiver via HDMI, optical fiber, or audio coax. Red and white cables wil not transmit surround sound.

3. Most TV remotes can be programed to lock the volume to one component.

4. Not sure. I don't think they have full browsers.

1) Can you get anything decent for $200-$250?

Yes and no. Can you get a decent 5-speaker surround system for that? Nah. What I always recommend to people who have a couple hundred bucks to spend is a nice pair of quality small speakers and run a 2 or 2.1 channel system.

Like Scott said, though, sound is a very subjective thing. If you don't really care that much about sound quality and just want some surround effects to be more present when you watch movies, maybe a home theater in a box is all you need. The problem is that the minute you hear something that sounds better, there's a chance that you're HTiB may become less satisfying.

I will tell you that my first home theater system was a pair of Paradigm Atom speakers (about $179/pair back in 2000), and small subwoofer, and an inexpensive Denon receiver. I do use a center speaker with my current set-up, but I could be just as happy with a phantom (i.e. no center speaker) rig. People underestimate how good movies can sound through a simple stereo/2-channel system when you get a decent pair of speakers. I bet you money that if you took $250 and found yourself a surround system at Best Buy or whatever, and you compared that to a simple stereo system that I could put together for the same money, you'd be much happier with my system. Chances are your wife would be too :thumbsup:

PS. You mentioned Netflix streaming in your post....I'm not sure of all the devices that do that, but I finally got around to buying an Xbox 360 a few weeks ago, and I''m in LOVE with Netflix streaming. I've been a Netflix customer since 2001 and will sing their praises at every opportunity. Having the ability to just instantly play hundreds of titles through the xbox is just awesome! They even have many titles available in HD now, and let me tell you, the PQ is very good! I came across the original Star Trek tv series season 1 today when I was browing some titles, and I was absolutley FLOORED by how good the PQ was. I highly recommend adding a component to your system that has this capability....it makes an already fantastic value (Netflix membership) and turbo charges it.

You probably won't find anything decent for $200-$250, at least new stuff. I started out with a decent Polk system many years ago and was pretty happy with it. It is a little more expensive than what you are asking about though. You can also package it with a sub and receiver. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Audio+-+5...p;skuId=8826247

I traded it in when I upgraded to Paradigms and the store sold it as used equipment. You may want to check out some audio shops and see if they have any trade ins.

Not that you will find Bose in your price range, but stay as far away as possible. It is extremely overpriced and underperforms much cheaper equipment.

You can also check out audioholics.com for advice and used equipment.

PS. You mentioned Netflix streaming in your post....I'm not sure of all the devices that do that, but I finally got around to buying an Xbox 360 a few weeks ago, and I''m in LOVE with Netflix streaming.

The Roku devices are very good for Netflix streaming. Not as good as the Xbox 360 because you have to do all of your queue management on the web, but it's still very good and is only $99 with no extra charges down the road.

Hmm, apparently they don't sell the old $99 version anymore, and the new version is $129. Still worth it though.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-N1101-HD-XR-Pla...5874&sr=8-1

The Roku devices are very good for Netflix streaming. Not as good as the Xbox 360 because you have to do all of your queue management on the web, but it's still very good and is only $99 with no extra charges down the road.

Hmm, apparently they don't sell the old $99 version anymore, and the new version is $129. Still worth it though.

I've heard good things about that, too...to me, having the ability to stream Netflix is awesome :thumbsup: It's like having a video store in my tv!

it may also interest you to look at audio/video receivers that have at least 4 hdmi inputs

makes connecting the system less of a spaghetti mess.

also, there are audio/video recievers that upconvert the picture if your hdtv does not.

i have a new model sharp aquos that does not upconvert, but is a true hdtv with 1080p, 120hz, 4ms response time....

go figure

Now I just need to upgrade to the Signature Series!

http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference/front...7-1-34.paradigm

If you get to that price point, make sure you listen to a lot of other stuff and check the forums. The studio line is my favorite, cause that stuff is still near the top of it's class in terms of performance. When you get to the Signature line, there are a LOT of great choices, many of which are as good or better than the Paradigms. Just my $.02

If you get to that price point, make sure you listen to a lot of other stuff and check the forums. The studio line is my favorite, cause that stuff is still near the top of it's class in terms of performance. When you get to the Signature line, there are a LOT of great choices, many of which are as good or better than the Paradigms. Just my $.02

I would love to have the difficult decision of "what speakers to spend a pile of $ on", but unfortunately that will not be happening anytime soon.

I would love to have the difficult decision of "what speakers to spend a pile of $ on", but unfortunately that will not be happening anytime soon.

I hear ya there, man....thankfully there is a ton of good stuff available at lower price points! This is a good time to be in the hobby :thumbsup:

I've heard good things about that, too...to me, having the ability to stream Netflix is awesome :thumbsup: It's like having a video store in my tv!

My parents got one from us kids, along with their Nextflix subscription. They like it for when the grandchildren are home, they don't have to pre-plan on what movies to get, simply look on the web and start it streaming.

My parents got one from us kids, along with their Nextflix subscription. They like it for when the grandchildren are home, they don't have to pre-plan on what movies to get, simply look on the web and start it streaming.

Exactly, it's convenient as hell. It has your entire instant queue available, plus movies from a bunch of other categories. It allows me to check out stuff I probably wouldn't ordinarily tie up one of my rental spots with, and if it's not keeping my interest after a while, I can just choose something else immediately. And the best thing about it? It's absolutely FREE and part of the Netflix membership I'm already paying for...frickin awesome!

I can definitely see why your parents would love it for the grand kids....that rocks!

I picked up a basic prepackaged Sony Sirround sound system a couple of years ago. 5.1 I believe...paid around 200 for the package. It has 3 hdmi ports in the back of it, so it was a very easy setup. I love it and think it sounds great. Each his own...

For anyone looking for a mid-price range system I can't recommend SVS enough.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

I've never heard their speakers, but I have one of their monster subs, and it rocks! Plus, their customer service is top-notch - send 'em an email, and the owner himself will generally respond in hours, even at 10pm! :wallbash:

I have the PB12-Plus/2- awesome sub, although I could've saved some money and purchased a smaller one... But what's the fun in that? :thumbsup:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:dj_HwA...=clnk&gl=us

Pay attention to Scott's basics about connectivity. It'll save you grief (and added cable costs) later.

I wanted to get an adequate surround sound system but have two good front speakers for music. I found a dealer that knew his sh$t but didn't charge obnoxious prices. This is his website:Blue Oasis Audio (see Products page) - there are probably local dealers in NH (hey, I was just in Hanover!) that carry similar lines (good equipment but reasonably priced). I bought my stuff in pieces rather than all at once. I am still saving for a Thorens turntable but may pick up the new Denon (see New under the site I posted above) that has a good price point. The only component I stepped up was the sub-woofer. I wanted one that had remote control for the sub depending on the type of music/surround-sound we were listening to.

To answer your ? and add to what others are saying - It's tough to know depending on the dimensions/structure of your room whether you can get something you would consider adequate for your price point. As others have indicated, Paradigm has some good equipment. You may want to consider two good front speakers and see how they sound. Then add the center, sub, and rears later when you get more coin (and, if you feel you require them). Due to the dimensions of our room, we were able to use bookshelves. We brought in several CDs to the store (above link) and he switched between the different bookshelves that he offered while our music played and there was considerable difference in fullness, high end, etc. between them. We chose what sound appealed to us based on the type of music we typically play.

OTOH - you probably want a SS system right away and a Best Buy or similar retailer will probably have an OK system at the price point you want and you will be very happy with it.

Santa got us the Roku HD-XR for Christmas, and it is definitely a slick box. Having to set up the queue on our PC is a nominal issue. However, what IS an issue is that the Roku has no power toggle. Why does this matter? Because I run my sources (DirecTV receiver/DVR and Blu-Ray) through a 4x1 HDMI Sony receiver, and when you switch to the Roku input, there is no handshaking between the HDMI ports because the handshaking relies, to a large extent, on the Roku being powered up to send the signal. Since it's always on, the only way to route the image is to either unplug/plug in the power cord on the Roku, or go component, which is stupid for obvious reasons.

Now, there's a good chance that I need a higher-grade HDMI cable. I spoke with Monoprice, who said this was a common problem, so they set me up with a cable that should remedy the situation. Cable arrives today, so I'll know if it works shortly.

Otherwise, it is a very cool box. Using wireless network connection, and so far, no problems at all. The links to things like Facebook, Pandora and Flickr are particularly cool as well.