Obama's "reaction" to Iran's civilian slayings.

They didn't need to. Reagan projected a strong, Decisive foreign policy and bankrupted their Soviet masters as a result.

Do you think todays "well I certainly respect the protesters in Iran, and as soon as I check in with France I will get back to you" policy would have resulted in the break up of the Soviet Union?

'

I think his point was that movements like Solidarity that materially contributed to the downfall of the Soviet Union without arming themselves.

I also think he forgets how routinely such movements (including Solidarity) were brutally suppressed.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eichmann comparison is a bit of a stretch to say the least. You can do better than that.

And if the goal was simply no more terrorist attacks then that should have been stated instead of the ludicrous "dead or alive" crap spewed by bullhorn boy. Everyday those bastards in the Taliban and al-Queda are held unaccountable is another day of dishonor to the fighting men and women sent there to bring them to justice. I'm pretty sure that the goal WASN'T to let the Taliban and al-Queda re-emerge as powers after the sacrifices made to dismantle them.

I don't think I'm alone in wanting those responsible for attacking us brought to justice. But if you're OK with it what can I say?

You know nothing of pre invasion Afghanistan I take it. Taliban absolutely in control of the country,al-Queda training camps in plain sight with no pretense of being anything else.

Now they live in caves assembling car bombs to take out civilian market shoppers in Iraq.

Your "dishonor"remark because of your hated of Bush is not worth the dignity of a reply.

You know nothing of pre invasion Afghanistan I take it. Taliban absolutely in control of the country,al-Queda training camps in plain sight with no pretense of being anything else.

Now they live in caves assembling car bombs to take out civilian market shoppers in Iraq.

Your "dishonor"remark because of your hated of Bush is not worth the dignity of a reply.

I never hated Bush. Save that crap for somebody that did/does.

I lost all respect for the man when he willingly made the decision to concentrate our resources on Iraq and less on those that attacked our country. Far less. Shamefully less. We had them on the run and let them go. We had the Taliban in ruins and al-Queda in those caves you mention. Look at it now. The Taliban is an OPEN presence in many provinces, once again ruling with impunity. And regaining the hearts and minds that Karzai never had a chance to get in the first place. They aren't living in caves and assembling car bombs. With the help of many in the Pakistani intelligence community, they are well-funded and well-armed with far more than improvised devices. Sorry, but I find that a HUGE disgrace after so many made the sacrifices they made to defeat the bastards in the first place.

As for my knowledge of pre-invasion Afghanistan, how far back would you like me to go? I'd be willing to discuss that country's history from the time of Alexander the Great all the way to the present if you'd like.

I never hated Bush. Save that crap for somebody that did/does.

I lost all respect for the man when he willingly made the decision to concentrate our resources on Iraq and less on those that attacked our country. Far less. Shamefully less. We had them on the run and let them go. We had the Taliban in ruins and al-Queda in those caves you mention. Look at it now. The Taliban is an OPEN presence in many provinces, once again ruling with impunity. And regaining the hearts and minds that Karzai never had a chance to get in the first place. They aren't living in caves and assembling car bombs. With the help of many in the Pakistani intelligence community, they are well-funded and well-armed with far more than improvised devices. Sorry, but I find that a HUGE disgrace after so many made the sacrifices they made to defeat the bastards in the first place.

As for my knowledge of pre-invasion Afghanistan, how far back would you like me to go? I'd be willing to discuss that country's history from the time of Alexander the Great all the way to the present if you'd like.

bull ****. You were bitching long before the invasion of Iraq about the raving incompetence of the Bush administration, because you wrote a fiction book with a plot element similar to 9/11.

bull ****. You were bitching long before the invasion of Iraq about the raving incompetence of the Bush administration, because you wrote a fiction book with a plot element similar to 9/11.

Why yes. Yes I did. You must be the second one to have read it. Thanks for your support. I'm now working on the sequal. The working title is Bullhorns and Bullsh*t.

LOL. Thanks for the chuckle, DC.

Iranian protests

Video

I included the video because it's important to see the heartless and passionless manner in which our commander in chief delivers his lip service.

Here's the text with my comments in blue.

Before I leave, let me also briefly (briefly? Oh absolutely, sorry you had to be pulled off of the Hawaiian links over such trivial matters as an "isolated extremest" attempting to blow up an airliner on Christmas and innocent civilian protesters being gunned down by their own government in the streets of Teheran) address the events that have taken place over the last few days in the Islamic Republic of Iran (Iran would suffice, we realize they're Islamic.). The United States joins with the international community (I'm so glad that we are joiners God forbid we act like leaders and do anything unilaterally) in strongly condemning (We have verbal condemnation, and that is a good thing. :rolleyes: ) the violent and unjust suppression of innocent Iranian citizens, which has apparently resulted in detentions, injuries, and even death.

For months, the Iranian people have sought nothing more than to exercise their universal rights. Each time they have done so, they have been met with the iron fist of brutality, even on solemn occasions and holy days.(Yeah, if you're going to kill freedom loving citizens in the streets, it's much more appropriate to do it on an average weekday.)And each time that has happened, the world has watched with deep admiration for the courage and the conviction of the Iranian people who are part of Iran's great and enduring civilization. (We're getting very civilized video footage out of Iran these days but very polite of you to pay the country a compliment.)

What's taking place within Iran is not about the United States or any other country.(It's not? Is that what Ronald Reagan would say or even Bush 1 or 2?) It's about the Iranian people and their aspirations for justice and a better life for themselves. And the decision of Iran's leaders to govern through fear and tyranny will not succeed in making those aspirations go away.

As I said in Oslo, it's telling when governments fear the aspirations of their own people more than the power of any other nation. (You're no JFK buddy.)

Along with all free nations, the United States stands with those who seek their universal rights. We call upon the Iranian government to abide by the international obligations (like discontinuing their uranium enrichment and missile test firings?) that it has to respect the rights of its own people. (Or what???)

We call for the immediate release of all who have been unjustly detained within Iran. We will continue to bear witness to the extraordinary events that are taking place there.(Now that may be the first honest statement to come out of your mouth in the past two years. I firmly believe that all you will do is stand back and watch.) And I'm confident that history will be on the side of those who seek justice. (There you have it, fight the power people, die in the streets, and history will be on your side. Move along, nothing to see here.)

What weak comments by a very weak and small man. This guy wouldn't recognize an opportunity for true greatness if it slapped him in the face.

That was bad.

[/color]What weak comments by a very weak and small man. This guy wouldn't recognize an opportunity for true greatness if it slapped him in the face.

He's President of the United States- the only opportunity for greatness there is trying to fix the trainwreck called an educational system

Let me get this right: Obama's missed opportunity for greatness was that a dumb suicide bomber lit his nuts on fire?

He's President of the United States- the only opportunity for greatness there is trying to fix the trainwreck called an educational system

What in the world does any of this have to do with the OP's Thread?

I may go crosseyed reading this.

You'll go cross-eyed trying to think straight? That's probably right.

BLZ said that Obama's speech about the failed suicide bomber was a "missed opportunity for greatness." Given the fact that this would-be terrorist lit his balls on fire unsuccessfully trying to blow up a plane, color me skeptical that this was a moment where greatness could be seized.

I was saying that he really doesn't have much of a shot at greatness. Neither did either Bush, Clinton or Reagan. The country does't want it and won't allow it. The people of the United States just want to be partisan and have stuff to whine and complain about......ashame, really.

I was saying that he really doesn't have much of a shot at greatness. Neither did either Bush, Clinton or Reagan. The country does't want it and won't allow it. The people of the United States just want to be partisan and have stuff to whine and complain about......ashame, really.

The country has always been partisan but we have still had great presidents. Part of Lincoln's greatness was his abilty to deal with partisanism

What does that even mean?

In my opinion, one of the major flaws in our educational system is the concept of tenure. This, of course, is a favorite perk for the teacher's union. I'd also like to see some kind of voucher system set up. Nothing would make me happier than to get a portion of my educational taxes given to me as a voucher to apply to a privately run school. I would argue...again, out of my own opinion, and having married into a family of teachers, that there are not many liberals in the world who would support vouchers or elimination of tenure, if for not other reason than they'd hate to see all those terrific contributions they get from the NEA.

In my opinion, one of the major flaws in our educational system is the concept of tenure. This, of course, is a favorite perk for the teacher's union. I'd also like to see some kind of voucher system set up. Nothing would make me happier than to get a portion of my educational taxes given to me as a voucher to apply to a privately run school. I would argue...again, out of my own opinion, and having married into a family of teachers, that there are not many liberals in the world who would support vouchers or elimination of tenure, if for not other reason than they'd hate to see all those terrific contributions they get from the NEA.

While I agree with you about tenure needing to go, it is a strong incentive for good people to get into the profession. Pay needs to go up, vacation time (for students) needs to go way down and curriculum needs to become much harder. The bell shaped curve needs to make a comeback as we NEED people to fail and be left behind. Not everyone should go to college- and not making it that far does not infer failure- as a matter of fact, in could infer success at a very high level for some

The country has always been partisan but we have still had great presidents. Part of Lincoln's greatness was his abilty to deal with partisanism

Unfortunately, he may have been our last (hopefully not final) great president

While I agree with you about tenure needing to go, it is a strong incentive for good people to get into the profession.

God forbid the desire to help people being a strong incentive. With tenure, once in the profession what is the motivation to remain good?

God forbid the desire to help people being a strong incentive. With tenure, once in the profession what is the motivation to remain good?

Couple that with the fact that, in many areas, teacher pay sucks. I'd be willing to bet many of them would prefer no tenure over the chance to earn more money based on their individual performance.

Couple that with the fact that, in many areas, teacher pay sucks. I'd be willing to bet many of them would prefer no tenure over the chance to earn more money based on their individual performance.

The best indicator of how much we currently value education in America is the ****ty wages we pay our teachers. Unless you can somehow force good people into the profession, any reduction in incentive (like removing tenure) will likely only have a negative affect on the overall quality of teachers. It's easy to focus on those who abuse any system, but there are also good tenured teachers who might be doing something else if not for the job security.