Mentors...

Pat7s

Would you want to bring him in for a looksee? I know he's not great against the run and he was hurt last year but maybe a situational guy to mentor Maybin? I'm already in the offseason guys and bored so I'm wondering about your thoughts...

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/osi...ner-311179.html

I read this and felt my response should be a different topic rather than rant on this topic's thread...

I see a lot of people on this board talk of signing guys to be mentors to players who are young and not budding quickly. This week its Maybin, over the summer it was Hardy (via TO), there have been several suggestions in the past to bring in mentor QB's for Trent... you get my drift.

My question is: does anyone really think professional athletes who make millions of dollars and ultimately say what the team and NFLPA trains them to say really care about being a mentor to others in this league? No. They don't want to be, and I think most players are interested in one thing: starting. That's why they got here in the first place, because everywhere they have played they've been better than everyone else there.

Does it happen from time to time that players come in as mentors? Of course, it's not impossible. It is however very unlikely. It's a pride thing if nothing else. Asking a player to be a mentor means, "hey we like you a lot, you may be able to help us from time to time on the field, but really you've lost a step or 12 and we just want to have you be a team guy." It's nice way of saying your career is all but over... which no one wants to here. They want to play, because that's what they know how to do... not be someone's buddy and knowledgeable elder. Besides, people who do become mentors while still being players are at the END of their career, not getting toward the end, and don't want to spend every day with their wife...

To me it's best if we stop thinking of free agents to bring in as mentors. Not only for the fact they most likely aren't interested in being that, but also because it's the coaching staff's job to be mentors, which we clearly do not have on this team. A coach by definition is a mentor, teacher, motivator and authority figure all in one... it's THEIR job to train, mentor and motivate Maybin and everyone else on the team.