Football fans and our obsession with "names"

I was reading the thread on Shanahan early and I found the responses to be interesting. Why is it that we as fans are drawn to "names" regardless of what history or numbers tell us. NO coach has ever won a super bowl with a second team yet many are clamoring for Shanahan. Shanny was fired in Denver for bad drafts and three years of increasingly mediocre performance. Despite this, many were falling all over themselves to bring him in to be our "savior". Why are we as fans so willing to dismiss the blatant reality.

The same mentality applies with players. Old, worn out names are always assumed to be better than rookies. Even with 31 other teams in the NFL won't look at a guy we have fans crawling over each other to get some 40 something whose name they recognize.

I have no doubts that Shanahan is a good coach. But even he isn't a miracle worker. The Bills need a solid GM that understands NFL level talent and has scouts that have a clue what they're looking at. They need coaches that understand the NFL, that can communicate their strategies & gameplans and get their players to execute them. They also need coaches that put their team in a position to win by effectively managing games.

Bringing in Bill Polian as GM and Bill Bellichek as head coach is still no guarantee of success. BUT, bringing is quality is the best course!

I was reading the thread on Shanahan early and I found the responses to be interesting. Why is it that we as fans are drawn to "names" regardless of what history or numbers tell us. NO coach has ever won a super bowl with a second team yet many are clamoring for Shanahan. Shanny was fired in Denver for bad drafts and three years of increasingly mediocre performance. Despite this, many were falling all over themselves to bring him in to be our "savior". Why are we as fans so willing to dismiss the blatant reality.

The same mentality applies with players. Old, worn out names are always assumed to be better than rookies. Even with 31 other teams in the NFL won't look at a guy we have fans crawling over each other to get some 40 something whose name they recognize.

I have no doubts that Shanahan is a good coach. But even he isn't a miracle worker. The Bills need a solid GM that understands NFL level talent and has scouts that have a clue what they're looking at. They need coaches that understand the NFL, that can communicate their strategies & gameplans and get their players to execute them. They also need coaches that put their team in a position to win by effectively managing games.

Bringing in Bill Polian as GM and Bill Bellichek as head coach is still no guarantee of success. BUT, bringing is quality is the best course!

Exactly...who knew of Bill Polian John Butler or AJ Smith before they came???

I honestly dont want these "Name guys" because they simplay are looking for the easiest situation out there rather than saying I'll take any situation and turn it around and win with it !!

Find the hungry up and coming GM and he will find the proper no-name guy (like sean Payton) to win with....

As for those who bash Charlie Weiss....College football is about recruiting....pro football is about having the right schemes

Weiss was not able to recruit the top players in numbers to win at ND....so what...its a whole different skill set in the NFL...would you really rather have a Pete Carroll than Charlie Weiss because he won more college games?? its ridiculous...

Why? Two reasons. First, we have went with several 'no names' and sucked this entire decade. Second, if they have a 'Name' that means they had success in the NFL, something we haven't had in a long, long time.

I would have agreed with you until I heard an interview with Greg Williams prior to the Saints/Pats game. Apparently Williams was adamant that the Bills draft Drew Brees with their pick but was overruled by the front office. Williams felt that if they had drafted Brees he'd probably still be a HC in Buffalo and he may be right.

I think there are a lot of great coaches out there that we've never heard of. Unfortunately they need good personnel around them as well. No coach, no matter how great is going to win with craptastic players on their roster.

Levy was pretty much a nobody when he came to Buffalo as well.

Here's something else to consider, how many teams made it to the SB with a head coach that did not make it with a previous team? Two examples I can think of right now, Tony Dungy (Tampa), Jon Gruden (Oakland). So should the Bills look for a coach that has made the playoffs, but not the SB?

Why? Two reasons. First, we have went with several 'no names' and sucked this entire decade. Second, if they have a 'Name' that means they had success in the NFL, something we haven't had in a long, long time.

Yet how many "names" succeed a second time with a new team? Not many. The fact that the Bills failed with no-names is not an indictment against hiring first-timers. We just hire the wrong ones.

Remember the last time we hired a name GM? Tom Donahoe.

PTR

Here's something else to consider, how many teams made it to the SB with a head coach that did not make it with a previous team? Two examples I can think of right now, Tony Dungy (Tampa), Jon Gruden (Oakland). So should the Bills look for a coach that has made the playoffs, but not the SB?

I'm just not sure I trust Ralph Wilson's ability to pick an unproven talent. But, I'd rather have Ralph than that Snyder guy in Washington

That's exactly why so many people on here have a boner for Vick. Has nothing to do with ability or how he'll fit in with the Bills or even the implications such a hire would have in the fan base. Nope, they've heard of him. that's it.

Reminds me of when Bledsoe came to town.

That's exactly why so many people on here have a boner for Vick. Has nothing to do with ability or how he'll fit in with the Bills or even the implications such a hire would have in the fan base. Nope, they've heard of him. that's it.

He's not "all that". Heck....Flutie ran just as well. :wacko:

Well, then I guess you're not interested in hiring Don Schula and Vinny Testaverde for HC and QB. :wacko:

Yet how many "names" succeed a second time with a new team? Not many. The fact that the Bills failed with no-names is not an indictment against hiring first-timers. We just hire the wrong ones.

Remember the last time we hired a name GM? Tom Donahoe.

PTR

You and I are usually onthe same page brother so I ask you...WHO? Who the hell is out there that can come in and fix this damn thing? I am at the point I am stumped.