evans

te

nelson

fine?

schouman?

rb

lynch

jackson

Far more questions than answers in your list.

I there's some truth to this, though it may be an unpleasant truth. The NFL is a watered-down version of what it was in the '90s so there are a LOT of players in the league who wouldn't have been able to make the '90s version of the Bills. Today's NFL is a sea of mediocrity. Having 32 teams has diluted the talent pool, both in terms of players as well as coaches and FO people.

As for the Bills, they have managed to win 5 games (though I'm not entirely sure how). To fix this team they should switch to a 3-4 defense. Put Stroud at NT with Williams and Schobel (if he doesn't retire) on the ends. Then get some good run-stuffing LBs. Keep Poz in there to call the defensive plays. Don't play ten yards off defenders on 3rd and less than 10.

As for the offense, I'd keep Levitre and Wood (maybe Hangartner?) and blow up the rest. Bell hasn't proven anything as far as I'm concerned. Obviously we need a new QB. But, with a good OL and the right coaching, you can win with mediocre QBs (e.g. Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, etc. all won Super Bowls). On the other hand, with a top-flight, mobile QB and a weak OL you can also do reasonably well (e.g. the Packers). It may not be possible to fix both at once so the smart thing would be to fix one or the other. I think the easier thing to do would be to fix the OL since the NFL is a little thin at QB. I wouldn't touch the RBs or WRs. A lot of teams have two good RBs these days so we should keep them both. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing TO stick around for another year just to see what he could do with a real QB.

Assuming the new regime switches to a 3-4, I guarantee they'd be a top 10 D for the next five years with this draft:

Round 1, pick 8: Rolando McClain, Alabama

Round 1, trading up: Terrance Cody, Alabama

Starting lineup for 2010 would look like:

DL: Kyle Williams, Cody, Schobel

Linebackers: Maybin, Mitchell, McClain, Poz

DBs: Mcgee, Mckelvin or Florence (with the other being the nickel back), Byrd, Wilson.

The offense could be at least temporarily fixed with some free agent signings at OL, WR, and a stopgap measure at QB. That draft would allow the Bills to look almost exclusively at offense in next years draft. They need to fix this team one unit at a time, with a definitive vision as to the identity of each unit. That D now becomes an aggressive athletic 3-4 D that has no real weakness to it.

The Bills have enough so that with the right moves, and the right management, there is no reason the team can't be competitve/ very good within the next two years. However, the same can be said for most other teams as well.

Assuming the new regime switches to a 3-4, I guarantee they'd be a top 10 D for the next five years with this draft:

Round 1, pick 8: Rolando McClain, Alabama

Round 1, trading up: Terrance Cody, Alabama

Starting lineup for 2010 would look like:

DL: Kyle Williams, Cody, Schobel

Linebackers: Maybin, Mitchell, McClain, Poz

DBs: Mcgee, Mckelvin or Florence (with the other being the nickel back), Byrd, Wilson.

The offense could be at least temporarily fixed with some free agent signings at OL, WR, and a stopgap measure at QB. That draft would allow the Bills to look almost exclusively at offense in next years draft. They need to fix this team one unit at a time, with a definitive vision as to the identity of each unit. That D now becomes an aggressive athletic 3-4 D that has no real weakness to it.

The Bills have enough so that with the right moves, and the right management, there is no reason the team can't be competitve/ very good within the next two years. However, the same can be said for most other teams as well.

Based on your plan, the bills would only be few players short

assuming the rookies play as advertised- which has not worked for a Bills draft in a long time

a right DE- Schoebel if he does not retire is way too small to play RDE in a 3-4

Williams is a reach at LDE, Denny though might be functional

you would only need 2 NFL caliber LBs- Mitchell blows wherever you play him and Maybin has never played in space. Although all the experience he has gotten this year will be invaluable. The best you can say about POZ is he has not showed to be a complete washout at OLB- but his blazing speed would be a big asset in coverage (not)

As a prior poster stated most of the posters have settled for mediocrity. If you believe getting one LB is going turn us into being top 5 against the run you are sadly mistaken, Let take our starters and make them back ups and get 3 new LB's with size and smarts. Changing to 3-4 defense with out talent will still have us ranked toward the bottom. We just be moving the problem around instead of addressing it. We need better talent, it's not the scheme.

I would like for us to address free agency with the idea getting 3/4 players.

1 QB maybe Kyle Orton,

1 OT Jared Gaither is young, upcoming, and solid.

1 DE Ray Edwards is worth pursuing, he is 25 and getting better. He is athletic, solid against the run and has 6.5 sacks t

his. Or Marcus Spears (27) of Dallas, very good against the run.

1 RB Pierre Thomas he can catch and run like Jackson.

Attain more draft picks

Anything goes here try to use Trent Edwards, Kelsey, Parrish, McCargo, Poz, Whitner as bait if we can land Thomas, Lynch becomes bait as well. We only need 2 picks.

We would like to hold onto Lynch, Poz, Whitner but lets not get too attached. I feel we can get a 4th rounder for Edwards maybe a 3rd tops, and a 4th or 5th for Parrish

Acquiring more picks has been the style of Belichick and Parcells, hence more chances to succeed. Buffalo hasn't traded down in the draft once since TD did in 2001.

The guys you pronounce "Trade Bait" like Edwards, Kelsay, Parrish, McCargo, and Whitner are not going to bring anything more than a 5th. Teams have figured out that giving up picks for low end talent doesn't yield great results, even though we think these guys are good. Besides, TE, CK, JM, and DW are entering the final year of their contracts and have done very little these past 2-3 seasons.

Also, all f the names you mentioned above will be RFA's, meaning they'll be tendered a certain contract size and should a team sign them to an offer sheet, would need to give up picks commensurate with the tender.

We do not know what the off-season will be like with the owner opt out of the CBA eliminating the cap in 2010. Guys who'd normally by UFA's won't be.