Arrow Trucking closes up shop, stranding 1400 drivers

Just Jack

http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/2009/1223/A...dumped-by-Arrow

Listening to Road Dog on Sirius, I'm surprised this hasn't made national news. Arrow Trucking closed up shop, cut off their drivers fuel cards, and told them to take their trucks to the nearest dealer. Not easy to do if you don't have money for diesel, since to fill a tank on a rig cost into the hundreds of dollars. Drivers are either begging for cash at truck stops to buy diesel, leaving their trucks at the stops and hitching rides home. Or if they can get to the dealer, they get either $200 or a bus ticket to get home.

Seems so inhumane that they would do this with no warning and no concern for the well being of the people impacted.

Honestly, the person sitting next to me at work yesterday go an e-mail from her vacationing manager that it was her last day. Granted she was a temp, but previously had a 20+ year career there

http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/2009/1223/A...dumped-by-Arrow

Listening to Road Dog on Sirius, I'm surprised this hasn't made national news. Arrow Trucking closed up shop, cut off their drivers fuel cards, and told them to take their trucks to the nearest dealer. Not easy to do if you don't have money for diesel, since to fill a tank on a rig cost into the hundreds of dollars. Drivers are either begging for cash at truck stops to buy diesel, leaving their trucks at the stops and hitching rides home. Or if they can get to the dealer, they get either $200 or a bus ticket to get home.

Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Back on the best-seller list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

Compounding trucker frustration is the fact that because Arrow has not formally fired its employees or gone bankrupt but only suspended operations. That makes it impossible for employees to file for unemployment benefits.

Wait...what? Instead of declaring bankruptcy, which at least gave them a possibility of maintaining a semblance of operations, they just shut everything down without warning and !@#$ over everyone, including their drivers and - presumably - customers, thereby guaranteeing that they are completely and totally deceased as a corporation?

That's not a "Getting screwed by The Man" situation, that's an "Holy Hell, what kind of !@#$ing monkeys were running that company anyway?" situation. :(

... and !@#$ over everyone, including their drivers and - presumably - customers

From what I heard listening on Sirius the other day, some drivers have contacted the receivers of the goods they are hauling to see if they would help with fuel to get their load to them.

I worked for a company (Inacom) that went out of business suddenly. Luckily I had left for another job about a month earlier, but from what I heard the home office contacted all the offices at 3pm on a Friday and told people to get out. And to make sure they left, they called local security companies to come and make sure everyone left without taking anything with them, and change the locks. So people couldn't even clean out their personal items from their desks. They had to wait about a month or two for things to settle before they were allowed back in.

From what I heard listening on Sirius the other day, some drivers have contacted the receivers of the goods they are hauling to see if they would help with fuel to get their load to them.

I worked for a company (Inacom) that went out of business suddenly. Luckily I had left for another job about a month earlier, but from what I heard the home office contacted all the offices at 3pm on a Friday and told people to get out. And to make sure they left, they called local security companies to come and make sure everyone left without taking anything with them, and change the locks. So people couldn't even clean out their personal items from their desks. They had to wait about a month or two for things to settle before they were allowed back in.

The office space my company was in last year was leased by a drug company before us. The previous company closed up so suddenly that when we looked at the space there were still coats in the coat closet, food in the refrigerator, sweaters on the backs of chairs. It was very weird, less like they closed than like all the workers were beamed up by aliens.

So yes, it does happen...you're not going to convince me that it's a sign of anything other than piss-poor management, though.