Questions About Blowning it Up.

The Big Cat

If they do in fact blow up the pro-player personnel and college scouting departments, would that put us behind heading into the 2010 offseason?

IF we get scouts from other teams, would they have been scouting for their previous team's needs?

If we get guys not already scouting, were they scouting of their own volition?

Or is everyone (our current guys and the like) looking at the same crop of players, in spite of the needs of their respective organizations?

No?

Nobody wants to discuss something relevant?

The scouts coming in will have info on pretty much most of the players at all positions in their region, not for a specific need.

We need a new GM, new pro player guy and a whole new team of scouts. I hand out pink slips to ALL at OBD on Jan 4th.

I dont think our needs are that specific and specialized at this point.

I would hope the new GM will be able to determine the direction he wants to go. The scouts should be able to respond to that and go from their previous knowledge, game film, and words of mouth from other scouts and NCAA coaches and officials.

Any currently unemployed scout who wants to work in the NFL will keep himself "in shape" so that he'll be ready if a team calls. Just like a player would.

As for scouts for other teams, they are generally assigned to regions and not positions, but to the extent that they are scouting people for positions, the new regime will be able to factor that in when hiring them.

If they do in fact blow up the pro-player personnel and college scouting departments, would that put us behind heading into the 2010 offseason?

IF we get scouts from other teams, would they have been scouting for their previous team's needs?

Or is everyone (our current guys and the like) looking at the same crop of players, in spite of the needs of their respective organizations?

I'll see if I can help at all...I have a very good friend whose brother is a regional scout for an NFL franchise (not the Bills), and here's what I gather about the process from my limited number of detailed conversations with him:

Mostly because of how the process unfolds from scouting to drafting of players. In general, a team's scouting department is broken down regionally. A few scouts visit the big-time schools in an area of the country (i.e. Northeast), and a few different scouts visits the small schools in that same region. The job of those scouts is to identify the most talented players on each team they watch (not position specific), and bring that information back to the team. Over time, the General Manager, along with the Director of College Scouting, Director of Player Personnel, and their respective assistants/subordinates package the scouting reports and identify which players they want to scout themselves (at places like the Senior Bowl, East-West Shrine Game, Hula Bowl, NFL Combine, Pro Days, Private Workouts, etc.) and which prospects they want the senior scouts to evaluate.

After all the workouts, etc. are completed, the GM and his advisors assemble their draft board and assign final grades to over 300 players (since only 260 or so will be drafted, and each team wants to target potential rookie FAs).

Given the process, the only thing that might put the team behind would be if they hired scouts that are currently out of work. Other than that, as long as the new GM brought a variety of members currently employed by scouting departments and working different areas of the country, there shouldn't be much lag in terms of their due dilligence.

Hope that helps a little.

I'll see if I can help at all...I have a very good friend whose brother is a regional scout for an NFL franchise (not the Bills), and here's what I gather about the process from my limited number of detailed conversations with him:

Mostly because of how the process unfolds from scouting to drafting of players. In general, a team's scouting department is broken down regionally. A few scouts visit the big-time schools in an area of the country (i.e. Northeast), and a few different scouts visits the small schools in that same region. The job of those scouts is to identify the most talented players on each team they watch (not position specific), and bring that information back to the team. Over time, the General Manager, along with the Director of College Scouting, Director of Player Personnel, and their respective assistants/subordinates package the scouting reports and identify which players they want to scout themselves (at places like the Senior Bowl, East-West Shrine Game, Hula Bowl, NFL Combine, Pro Days, Private Workouts, etc.) and which prospects they want the senior scouts to evaluate.

After all the workouts, etc. are completed, the GM and his advisors assemble their draft board and assign final grades to over 300 players (since only 260 or so will be drafted, and each team wants to target potential rookie FAs).

Given the process, the only thing that might put the team behind would be if they hired scouts that are currently out of work. Other than that, as long as the new GM brought a variety of members currently employed by scouting departments and working different areas of the country, there shouldn't be much lag in terms of their due dilligence.

Hope that helps a little.

Thank you for your insight.

And thank you for refuting any pending claims that switching now would set us back!

:ph34r:

what do people even mean by "blowing it up"? Some people seem to think that means getting rid of everyone on the roster, which is just stupid since our team is young. I mean clearly we're going to have a new head man, and then he can pick who he wants running his scouting departments. That could include some holdovers.

as for draft prep, I think they don't do that much during the season other than send some scouts to games. Everything's on film these days anyway.

what do people even mean by "blowing it up"? Some people seem to think that means getting rid of everyone on the roster, which is just stupid since our team is young. I mean clearly we're going to have a new head man, and then he can pick who he wants running his scouting departments. That could include some holdovers.

as for draft prep, I think they don't do that much during the season other than send some scouts to games. Everything's on film these days anyway.

Maybe others are a bit confused about "blowning it up".

I thought I clarified that in the first sentence, but to be clear: I was referring to blowing up the FO.

I agree that there's no point in blowing up the roster, when (as my signature implies) the problems reside almost exclusively on one side of the ball. To make holes for hole's sake is retarded.

I thought I clarified that in the first sentence, but to be clear: I was referring to blowing up the FO.

I agree that there's no point in blowing up the roster, when (as my signature implies) the problems reside almost exclusively on one side of the ball. To make holes for hole's sake is retarded.

Sorry, I understood what you meant, I was talking about how many others use the term.

Maybe if you use a bigger font, the defense won't be dead last against the run and get off the field on 3rd down.

I would if I could! :ph34r:

Neither of those stats you've mentioned contribute to our losses in any way comparable to the anemic offense.

Also, we're right in the middle of the league in 3 and out percentage.

So, yeah.

I would if I could! :ph34r:

Neither of those stats you've mentioned contribute to our losses in any way comparable to the anemic offense.

Also, we're right in the middle of the league in 3 and out percentage.

So, yeah.

I'm not sure about aspiring to be middling, but I hear ya. Yes, the offense is crap.

BTW, Jairus Byrd has almost single-handedly made the defense #1 in INT/dr. (On the other hand, we are the worst in the NFL in FUM/dr.) The Bills are also #1 in plays defended and tackles. :devil:

I dont care who they were with/what they were doing before. There is not a way in hell they could be worse than what we have.

I dont care who they were with/what they were doing before. There is not a way in hell they could be worse than what we have.

What, other than failing to find a franchise quarterback, has the organization truly failed at?

We lost three offensive line starters, and two thirds of the line-backing starters due to unpreventable injuries.

Could you please, just once, humor us all by allowing a thought to enter your brain before you post?

It would not effect this year's draft, as the scouting department is busy working during the collegiate football season. in other words, the scouts currently on our team (including the inept Modrak) have pretty much done their jobs for this upcoming draft. Sure, there are the Bowl games, NFL combine and such, but overall the grunt work is mostly over with.

That is why when Buddy Nix was hired back, it was said that he was going to have no to minimal impact on the '09 draft- he came in way too late to bring anything to the table.

In regards to your second part- I don't believe that any player really sneaks by. I think the pressure scouts must be under causes them to scour every area and crevasse for talent. Time, politics, etc though also effect decisions, and I think that is one reason why more time is not spent on smaller college players. Team needs is a big factor, as you mention, as well.

What, other than failing to find a franchise quarterback, has the organization truly failed at?

We lost three offensive line starters, and two thirds of the line-backing starters due to unpreventable injuries.

Could you please, just once, humor us all by allowing a thought to enter your brain before you post?

The O'line was crap before the injuries. In particular the tackles.

The linebacking trio was too small before the injuries and got no help in the draft.

The Defensive tackles are too small can't stop the run. got no help in the draft.

Failed to get a veteran at TE, another vet LB, or a decent LT or RT. Fitz was a vet at QB but a cheap choice with no chance at carrying the team. Also 5 first round draft picks in a row that yielded 4th round (roster filling but not starters) talent. That is how you end up uncompetitive in this league.

The O'line was crap before the injuries. In particular the tackles.

The linebacking trio was too small before the injuries and got no help in the draft.

The Defensive tackles are too small can't stop the run. got no help in the draft.

Failed to get a veteran at TE, another vet LB, or a decent LT or RT. Fitz was a vet at QB but a cheap choice with no chance at carrying the team. Also 5 first round draft picks in a row that yielded 4th round (roster filling but not starters) talent. That is how you end up uncompetitive in this league.

We were a LT tackle shy of having a decent OLine with everyone healthy.

The defense has not, since 2006, been the reason for any of our losses, REGARDLESS of who's been playing linebacker or DT.

So, you're right, we went into the season without a stud QB and LT, incidentally the two hardest positions to field.