A Look At 1st Round DE's

Psaunders

Maybin was average at Penn St - sorry I am not impressed by running around 3rd and 4th tier college talent - but he was a BACK UP. BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP. When you cant start at Penn St you probably wont start in the NFL either. This season is exactly what I knew we were getting with Maybin. Expect the rest of his short career to be similiar.

play a 3-4 and put maybin at OLB....

Why? So he can be completely handle in pass protection by the other teams towel boy? Maybin sucks any way you cut it. We might as well put TO at DE they are teh same size and have the same skill set - and I bet TO is even quicker!

Maybin was average at Penn St - sorry I am not impressed by running around 3rd and 4th tier college talent - but he was a BACK UP. BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP. When you cant start at Penn St you probably wont start in the NFL either. This season is exactly what I knew we were getting with Maybin. Expect the rest of his short career to be similiar.

When Penn St. beats LSU on New Years will you retract that statement?..they have better talent then that

Maybin is almost a full 2 years younger than Orakpo. I bet he will be a better 23 year old player than Orakpo. For those that thought "The 2009 Season is the one, Super Bowl here we come", you will claim that this team needed to be better NOW, but the truth is they were gonna suck no matter who they drafted.

Just let it play out. The Bills are gonna suck for a while longer at best.

play a 3-4 and put maybin at OLB....

I completely agree, he is perfect for a 34 OLB...and I feel that Schobel can make the adjustment too! If we can't get the QB get the missing parts to create a solid 3-4,

side note, what is amazing is how many ints Buffalo has without a great pass rush, imagine Byrd's numbers if Buffalo had a pass rush and if buffalo actually had a lead that required the other team to pass the ball in the 4th quarter.

Good work PSaunders.

There is no doubt that he hasn't lived up to our expectations of what we were hoping. Having said that, he did leave college one year early, didn't have all that many starts over there to begin with and is still way too skinny to be effective.

He has the athleticism, burst, work ethic and mojo to be a good player in this league. I for one havn't given up on him, and I would hope that he adds another 10 pounds of muscle for next year.

Actually, he left college two years early.

It's not like Orakpo was the end-all-be-all of DE prospects... he had serious effort concerns coming out of college. In fact, a lot of people were comparing his effort-level to that of Vernon Gholston.

As a huge Texas follower, that is 100% false. There were never any concerns of that type, people compared him to Gholston because they were both physical freaks in the weight room. Orakpo however was also a freak on the field. Orakpos only concern were the two knee injuries he suffered in his career - which were somewhat minor and he played through them - but still concerns.

When Penn St. beats LSU on New Years will you retract that statement?..they have better talent then that

I was not intending to rip on Penn St.

I was referring to the fact that Maybin only "dominated" vrs Coastal Carolina, Temple, Syracuse, and Indiana. He did have two sacks against a decent Wisconsin team which Penn st beat 48-7.... still far from impressive.

As for Penn state beating LSU. Yea, the worst LSU team in Les Miles tenure will still beat Penn State.

I was not intending to rip on Penn St.

I was referring to the fact that Maybin only "dominated" vrs Coastal Carolina, Temple, Syracuse, and Indiana. He did have two sacks against a decent Wisconsin team which Penn st beat 48-7.... still far from impressive.

As for Penn state beating LSU. Yea, the worst LSU team in Les Miles tenure will still beat Penn State.

we'll see..since Penn St. has a damn good defense and LSU no QB i don't think it's gonna happen but ya never kno right?

Good work PSaunders.

There is no doubt that he hasn't lived up to our expectations of what we were hoping. Having said that, he did leave college one year early, didn't have all that many starts over there to begin with and is still way too skinny to be effective.

He has the athleticism, burst, work ethic and mojo to be a good player in this league. I for one havn't given up on him, and I would hope that he adds another 10 pounds of muscle for next year.

Maybin will be fine. Now he knows what it takes in the NFL. He will be bigger and stronger next year, will have a coaching staff that is decent and will be better. we will go 3-4 next year and Maybin will be converted to a LB. Simple.

Good info. But no matter what stats you throw out there he was the wrong pick. If they wanted a DE then go Orakpo. But they should have gone O-Line and got Oher, Britton. In a way I'm glad because it helped nail the coffin on Jauron's tenure.

great post. we needed to hit bottom so ralph would clean house. and now its happening. we really need to go after Shanahan. He is no longer a redskins candidate as they hired a GM. Shanahan will want it all. GM and coach. and we should give it to him. he can bring a ready to go staff and perhaps he will ultimately bring his son (O coordinator for Houston i believe) to succeed him. Ralph, just do it. this is the time. the other bottom teams either are toxic or already have done the new coach hire . Chicago is the one threat . Shanahan would go there. but detroit, st louis, tampa have already picked their "hot young coordinator" head coach and will not be firing them after this season...

I still like the Maybin pick. As we all knew, he has to get a bit stronger however he has the build and speed to be just like Jason Taylor. I do believe and hope that he will be training hard in the offseason and that we'll have a DC come in that will know how to use him.

Side note: Good for Orakpo - other than that I'm not a Skins fan so who gives a crap.