$10 Million dollars on the table and no one wants it?

Chuckknox

This is typical "Buffalo Fan Grass is always Greener on the other side" mentality

There is talent on the roster, more then the fans give it credit for, and the age of the owner is not an issue, in the last few years there have been a couple of owners pass away, like in KC, and I believe ST Louis too. Its a 1 in 32 job that isn't something that comes by every day. Your comment about big names not being attracted to complete rebuilding projects may be true, but not there are very few coaches that can turn down offers and still find better positions out there

And The bills are not near the Raiders in the Dysfunction department, there isn't a team in the league that can compete with Oakland in that area. Actually, the bills may be pretty close to every other team in the "Dysfunction" department

Please stop with the logic and clear thinking, please.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There aren't a whole lot of guys who'll command 10M per, and if it's true Shanahan is going to Washington or elsewhere, only Cowher remains.

The bigger issue is the unattractiveness of the franchise and both HC and GM jobs. The roster is nearly bereft of talent, the owner is 91 and his team's future is very uncertain, not to mention they've sold a home game to a non-NFL market that may or may not support the team.

Established types who may command 10M per aren't attracted to complete rebuilding projects. This is why Buffalo will struggle to find someone, anyone. The Bills are only a half-step above the Raiders as a dysfunctional NFL franchise.

On a side note about Cowher, my brother-in-law lives in Raleigh, NC and states that Cowher's house has been for sale for the past year.

Now, if he was that interested in coaching Carolina, why would he be selling?

I don't want Shannahan's less than stellar finish coming to town for 10 million dollars. He's making one final money grab before turning things over to junior. I would rather they bring in an actual GM with a track record of knowing how to build a team and then he can select his coach. Shanny's grab a player mentality landed him a 24-24 record his last three years and one playoff win the last ten years. He's shown no ability to build a team

Absolutely.

I would love to see a 'big name' GM hired before any coach is even considered. One of the best available has now signed on with Washington.

Hiring a coach prior to a GM is the typical @$$ backwards decision making that has distinguished the Bills front office since guys like Polian, Smith, Nix, and Butler left.

Who says they have offered other coaches $10 million? the only coach that the Bills have actually talked to was Shanahan, and he is still out there. Also no one knows the details, like if they told him they would offer it to him after the season, or if he would be the GM/coach or just coach. Shanahan may have also decided to weigh his options. In Buffalo he is in rebuilding mode and a season or 2 from the playoffs. In Dallas, or with Dan "Moneys no Object" Snyder, they are much closer to the playoffs andbeing "built" already.

Holmgren passed cause he wanted complete control of the organisation which he would get in Clevland and tried to get in Seattle. He was asked to come in and just coach here, and he said no thanks. Cowher told everyone he is happy as an announcer now and won't talk til after the season, he is in a position where he can hold out for the position that suits his life and family better, he left coaching on his own terms, just like Dungy. Gruden is making similar money sitting in a booth for a few hours a week that he would make coaching and would be stupid to give that up

Remember, its not a race to see who can sign guys first, its getting the best choice for your team and theres still good choices out there that aren't huge names.

I think we are only a season away with a few solid choices one of them being a strength and conditioning coach.

Again, if a good personnel man hits the jackpot with Snyder's money, the Skins will turn around in a hurry.

Many teams draft well, and then put up big money to one or two big time free agents AND sign their own. A good football person will easilty be able to do this in Washington. Not Snyder's close friend, Cerrato. Not 90 yr old Bruce Smith and 82 year old Deion Sanders.

A good football man will have every opportunity to succeed in Washington. He'll have cash, freedom, and will be able to choose the cream of the coaching crop. Everyone hates Daniel Snyder cuz he's a dickhead. No one argues that. He's learning and is turning over the reigns to football people. It's a dream job for someone like Shanahan and Allen. They'll be back in a hurry if they add Shanny to the mix. Thier only drawback is that there may not be a big time QB available.

Snider is another meddler he will voice his 99 cents on every choice. Just like Ralph.

None of these head coaches even came close to a $10 million dollar pay day. I can not believe they can not get someone lined up and signed to start this job.

I thought our GM was a sales person.

How about only 7 home games a year, plus two guaranteed division losses per year to the Hoody? I wont even mention Buffalo as Siberia to potential free agents. Allin all an uphill battle to the playoffs.

There is no offer of "$10 million a year". If there was, ANY of these guys would jump at it because it is far more than anyone is making right now. No matter how bad the team, they would take this guaranteed money.

Shanahan is going to Washington.

There is no offer until after the season...the Bills stated shortly after firing Jauron that they wouldn't be hiring a coach til after the season

This front office didn't want to pay Jason Peters, Derrick Dockery or Langston Walker and got rid of them all to save money. Anyone or two of those three would have helped this team win games this season

Stating that, I'd say that the front office talking to Mike Shanahan was all a bunch of fluff to make the fans think that they had a real interest in him, or him, in the Buffalo Bills.

There is no way this franchise will pay another head coach 10 million a year while paying Dick Jauron 3.5 million for the next three years, 13.5 million...no way.

Peters was the worst LT in the game last year and our worst OL...Dockery was our 2nd worst O-lineman...but don't let facts get in the way of making a ridiculous argument.

Walker was let go because he wasn't good in the no-huddle we were running...not built for it. Had we not tried to run a no-huddle, Walker might still be here...or on IR like everyone else.

The $10M figure isn't for just any coach...Shanahan or Cowher might command and get that. Billick, Martz, or whomever else we might land would get a lesser salary

Here's what's funny...people complaining that Ralph cheaps out on coaches. He pays them what he feels they deserve. Paying Shanny $10M a year wouldn't be a departure from the norm because he'd be the most proven coach brought in since Chuck Knox. Jauron was getting $1.5M per because he had to prove himself...after the 4-0 and 5-1 start last year, he got $3.5M per year...making him the 10th highest paid coach in the NFL. Ralph doesn't cheap out on coaches...he pays them based on what they are actually earning.

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/871591.html

A league source said they offered Cowher $10 million, according to Allen Wilson, and he's not the only media source who has heard this. Ralph is willing to pay the money this year.

This unnamed league source also said Cowher "told them he's not interested in interviewing at this time"

So the Bills made an offer before even talking to or interviewing Cowher. Even Brandon is not that stupid.

Just more propaganda and speculation, nothing solid from any living breathing Bills rep.

This is speculation, admittedly based on historical evidence. However, I think even the most stubborn of cheapskates can be moved by the reality of the approaching grave and ten+ years of futility. These can be powerful motivators to change your ways. Time will tell.

you don't change 50 years of operating procedures overnight

Expect Stew Barber's clone as GM

None of these head coaches even came close to a $10 million dollar pay day. I can not believe they can not get someone lined up and signed to start this job.

I'll take it. :rolleyes: I have no job right now, so they wouldn't even have to wait until the end of the season.

:wallbash: If you were a multimillionaire, big name head coach - who has had no life but football for many years - and you have achieved the recognition, status and respect you so desire, would you sell it for ten million dollars by spending a year or two in Buffalo in an organization not built to win? You lose everything that matters as your reputation plummets. Do you think these guys would take such a risk when they don't need the money? They can make six million a year working for an organization that is geared to win.