Is Brohm the future or do the bills go for another?

zer0vette

1)If the Packers were truly interested in keeping Brohm, they would have tried to EXCEED our offer, not try to match it.

2)I'm aware that you have to clear waivers to be on a practice squad and no team is going to waive a 2nd rounder in hopes of sneaking him on a practice squad unless he's bad enough to clear waivers. Unless the guy has been really awful, some team will claim him-just look at QB Kevin O'Connell a 1st day pick last year who was claimed by Detroit when the Pats waived him & then traded to the Jets.

Umm they cant. All they could do is match the offer he got from another franchise. Way to know what your talking about though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm they cant. All they could do is match the offer he got from another franchise. Way to know what your talking about though.

I'm calling BS on that one. Come up with a link because I've found nothing of the sort in the rules. Why would there ever be a rule that the team that has a player on its practice squad cannot sign the player to a contract of whatever length & salary it wants? Way to make things up though and state them as facts.

1)If the Packers were truly interested in keeping Brohm, they would have tried to EXCEED our offer, not try to match it.

2)I'm aware that you have to clear waivers to be on a practice squad and no team is going to waive a 2nd rounder in hopes of sneaking him on a practice squad unless he's bad enough to clear waivers. Unless the guy has been really awful, some team will claim him-just look at QB Kevin O'Connell a 1st day pick last year who was claimed by Detroit when the Pats waived him & then traded to the Jets.

Folks seem to forget that undrafted Jason Peters was waived, then re-signed to the Bills practice squad - after no one else claimed him - where he sat until Mike Williams questionable status opened the door for Peters on the active squad, where he was still mainly a special-teams player until the Bills finally saw fit to work him into the lineup.

I guess that means Peters sucked, since no one wanted him bad enough to draft him, then no one wanted him bad enough to claim him off waivers, then no one tried to sign him off our practice squad.

Or, it could be that, just maybe, some times 31 other teams miss something about a player every now and then.

Brohm may or may not have a promising future as the Bills QB. The folks that think they know that already, without even seeing him take a single snap, are as hysterical as the folks that don't even want to see him take a single snap.

I'm calling BS on that one. Come up with a link because I've found nothing of the sort in the rules. Why would there ever be a rule that the team that has a player on its practice squad cannot sign the player to a contract of whatever length & salary it wants? Way to make things up though and state them as facts.
Based on the reading I've just finished, I tend to agree with you. Practice squad players are free agents who, generally speaking, can negotiate a contract with any team at any time. The only restrictions I've found are:

- teams can't sign a player off the practice squad of their next upcoming opponent if it's less than 6 days before the game.

- teams that sign a player off another team's practice squad must keep him on their active roster for a minimum of 3 weeks.

Generally speaking, players that are signed off of practice squads are signed to the league minimum. So it would be unusual for a bidding war to occur when a signing occurs.

Last I checked, we and the rest of the NFL world know nothing of what Brohm can do. With that said, how can he possibly be deemed 'the future' at this juncture?

Conversely, how can he be deemed 'a bust' - a washed-up piece of crap that no one else wanted - if "we and the rest of the NFL world know nothing" of what he can do? :rolleyes:

Here's a link for ya...

How bout our QB?

Looks like we got a new starting QB this Sunday, eh? :rolleyes:

Did the bills sign Brohm to be the starter next year? Do they start him in either of the two remaining games? I'm teetering on a ledge with both of these questions. I think I'd like to see what he can do, but then again, could doing so have ill effects? Perhaps it would be wise to get the offensive line firmed up before attempting this.

Thoughts?

i think we should lock him up...6 yrs 30 million

Folks seem to forget that undrafted Jason Peters was waived, then re-signed to the Bills practice squad - after no one else claimed him - where he sat until Mike Williams questionable status opened the door for Peters on the active squad, where he was still mainly a special-teams player until the Bills finally saw fit to work him into the lineup.

I guess that means Peters sucked, since no one wanted him bad enough to draft him, then no one wanted him bad enough to claim him off waivers, then no one tried to sign him off our practice squad.

Or, it could be that, just maybe, some times 31 other teams miss something about a player every now and then.

Brohm may or may not have a promising future as the Bills QB. The folks that think they know that already, without even seeing him take a single snap, are as hysterical as the folks that don't even want to see him take a single snap.

You missed an important part of my post you quoted no team is going to waive a 2nd rounder in hopes of sneaking him on a practice squad unless he's bad enough to clear waivers. Teams sneak undrafted & late round picks on the practice squads all the time. I'm sure you can find numerous players who were drafted in the 6th or 7th round or undrafted, waived, placed on the practice squad and had successful careers. Now try to find me some 2nd round picks who were waived & put on a practice squad and then went on to a successful career-it's unheard of. Do you truly think that John Guy has outsmarted 31 other teams? I don't.

You missed an important part of my post you quoted no team is going to waive a 2nd rounder in hopes of sneaking him on a practice squad unless he's bad enough to clear waivers. Teams sneak undrafted & late round picks on the practice squads all the time. I'm sure you can find numerous players who were drafted in the 6th or 7th round or undrafted, waived, placed on the practice squad and had successful careers. Now try to find me some 2nd round picks who were waived & put on a practice squad and then went on to a successful career-it's unheard of. Do you truly think that John Guy has outsmarted 31 other teams? I don't.

No I didn't miss it at all - I just deemed it irrelevant. Again, some times 31 other teams miss something about a player every now and then. Only time, and a good look at Brohm, will tell if Guy has outsmarted anyone. I'm thinking maybe he has.