Admin: Tarmac waits limited to 3 hours

I can't believe that I agree with Rkfast.

More motherment. If you can't sit still for 3 hours on someone else's schedule, don't fly.

As someone who spent nearly 10 years flying (on the average) every other week, the one problem here is the one thing that is lost most often: good communication. I've found that a major contributing factor to driving people mad when locked on an idle plane for three hours is that the status updates are generally (and ultimately) wrong. When you tell the passengers "We're having a problem with XYZ and expect to be in the air in 30 minutes," and then 45 minutes later say "We're still having a problem but will be in the air in 30 minutes," and then 45 minutes later say "We're still having a problem...", it drives people batchit looney.

I'm not suggesting that better communications makes everything better, but I always felt like they KNEW it was going to be a few hours, but didn't have the nutsack to tell everyone.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who spent nearly 10 years flying (on the average) every other week, the one problem here is the one thing that is lost most often: good communication. I've found that a major contributing factor to driving people mad when locked on an idle plane for three hours is that the status updates are generally (and ultimately) wrong. When you tell the passengers "We're having a problem with XYZ and expect to be in the air in 30 minutes," and then 45 minutes later say "We're still having a problem but will be in the air in 30 minutes," and then 45 minutes later say "We're still having a problem...", it drives people batchit looney.

I'm not suggesting that better communications makes everything better, but I always felt like they KNEW it was going to be a few hours, but didn't have the nutsack to tell everyone.

That usually is the case. The essence of good customer service isn't making sure everything runs perfectly, it's keeping the customer in the loop and well-informed when it doesn't.

• 6 months later...