Admin: Tarmac waits limited to 3 hours

Why would they be changing a part on the tarmac? What a flat tire?

:ph34r:

Actually, yes.

Tires (but not often), marker and nav lights, small engine parts, anything INSIDE the aircraft like a broken seat rail, bin, air conditioning, you name it. Maybe the pilot is getting a warning light of some sort and s/he asks for a crew to come to the aircraft and check it out. ****, Ive seen maintainence pull hydraulic lines and inspect them, right at the gate.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, yes.

Tires (but not often), marker and nav lights, small engine parts, anything INSIDE the aircraft like a broken seat rail, bin, air conditioning, you name it. Maybe the pilot is getting a warning light of some sort and s/he asks for a crew to come to the aircraft and check it out. ****, Ive seen maintainence pull hydraulic lines and inspect them, right at the gate.

And that is my point... At the gate... Not the middle of the tarmac. Surely people can then unload... I know that may be a hassle... But come on.

Why can't airlines have a back-up at each airport... Kinda like a spare tire.

AirForce One is like that... ;);) But then again, that is for the Messiah. The Messiah can't be kept waiting.

:rolleyes:

I know yer kidding, but seriously, an aircraft is making money when its flying. The SECOND it touches the ground, it is no longer. So spares are a no-no. Most pilots outside of those working for major carriers, like the ones who fly lears and King Airs and what not get paid for "wheels up" only. All their flight prep and planning time is on their own dime. Unless youre a big time pilot flying for a major carrier, its not as glamorous as it seems.

I know yer kidding, but seriously, an aircraft is making money when its flying. The SECOND it touches the ground, it is no longer. So spares are a no-no. Most pilots outside of those working for major carriers, like the ones who fly lears and King Airs and what not get paid for "wheels up" only. All their flight prep and planning time is on their own dime. Unless youre a big time pilot flying for a major carrier, its not as glamorous as it seems.

Not really kidding. Isn't that cutting it to the bone a bit? At who's expense? How much more would a ticket be across the board?

Not really kidding. Isn't that cutting it to the bone a bit? At who's expense? How much more would a ticket be across the board?

Why not just create a regulation requiring every airline to keep one air-worthy spare of every model at every airport they service? Then set limits on ticket prices so the airlines can't raise them - because why should they pass the cost on to the consumer while they're making billions in profits?

Why not just create a regulation requiring every airline to keep one air-worthy spare of every model at every airport they service? Then set limits on ticket prices so the airlines can't raise them - because why should they pass the cost on to the consumer while they're making billions in profits?

What are you a commie? No. I don't agree, that is pretty stupid what you suggested.

Actually, yes.

Inexcusable . My 4 seat Cessna 172 gets a complete pre flight inspection before I leave the tie down. The manufacturers make check lists for that purpose. But of course 'professional" pilots have been taking off on the wrong runways lately, so nothing shocks me.

Inexcusable . My 4 seat Cessna 172 gets a complete pre flight inspection before I leave the tie down. The manufacturers make check lists for that purpose. But of course 'professional" pilots have been taking off on the wrong runways lately, so nothing shocks me.

The operational tempo is just a little bit different between your Cessna and a 737. For starters, you're talking about preflighting a plane that's been sitting for some time, not one that just landed and taxiied to the gate...

My experience back in Nov 2007 on Air China flying out of JFK...

Departure is listed as 3:30pm, we're pulling away from the gate about that time, get in line for takeoff. A few minutes later I notice (I have a window seat) that we're getting out of line. Announcement comes over, we're heading back to the gate for a hydraulic problem. Over an hour later we pull away from the gate and head back to the line, get in line. Few minutes later, pull back out of line, again a problem, but not to the gate, some holding spot on the tarmac. Pilot says the problem needs to be looked at again. Around the 4 hour mark from when we first pulled away (3:30) the flight staff breaks out the drinks and sandwiches. Meanwhile since this was about the time the Passenger Bill Of Rights was making news, people are trying to find out if it's in effect. About 9pm they let us know the electrical problem is fixed. Yes, they originally said hydraulics, then electrical. But because they already fed us, they needed to reload drinks/food and we had to wait for that. Finally about 9:30pm we take off. Only time I've been on a plane where people clapped on take off.

So I don't care about any clause/loophole, if people are not allowed to get off at the 3 hour mark, there will be hell to pay.

Departure is listed as 3:30pm, we're pulling away from the gate about that time, get in line for takeoff. A few minutes later I notice (I have a window seat) that we're getting out of line. Announcement comes over, we're heading back to the gate for a hydraulic problem. Over an hour later we pull away from the gate and head back to the line, get in line. Few minutes later, pull back out of line, again a problem, but not to the gate, some holding spot on the tarmac. Pilot says the problem needs to be looked at again. Around the 4 hour mark from when we first pulled away (3:30) the flight staff breaks out the drinks and sandwiches. Meanwhile since this was about the time the Passenger Bill Of Rights was making news, people are trying to find out if it's in effect. About 9pm they let us know the electrical problem is fixed. Yes, they originally said hydraulics, then electrical. But because they already fed us, they needed to reload drinks/food and we had to wait for that. Finally about 9:30pm we take off. Only time I've been on a plane where people clapped on take off.

So I don't care about any clause/loophole, if people are not allowed to get off at the 3 hour mark, there will be hell to pay.

Flying with air China you're damn lucky to be alive, never mind the delay.

I have no problem with massive delays, but it should not be permissible for them to keep passengers on board a plane for more than an hour if it will not be taking off.

Then youre stupid. Plain and simple. Youre one of those mindless twits who think that air travel is some kind of game.

Do the world a favor and walk next time you have to go across the Country. See you next Spring.

Oh yes, there will. Hope the cockroach motel you wind up at becuase your flight was cancelled is comfortable.

Oh yes, there will. Hope the cockroach motel you wind up at becuase your flight was cancelled is comfortable.

At least the cockroach motel has plumbing and access to food and water.

Laughable that people here are really attempting to defend the airline industry. How can you not get your sh-- together to get a plane off the ground within three hours of the schedule. :thumbsup:

At least the cockroach motel has plumbing and access to food and water.

Laughable that people here are really attempting to defend the airline industry. How can you not get your sh-- together to get a plane off the ground within three hours of the schedule. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah...its a simple feat really....launching a fifty ton combination of metal, jet fuel and human beings into the air, up to about eight miles up, with tens of thousands of other similar devices up there at the same time, travelling thousands of miles to a destination, and then bringing it back to the ground with barely more than some noise and a rush of reverse thrust.

Thats the point...Im not "defending" the airlines as much as Im mocking the completely UNREALISTIC and downright laughable expectations of folks like yourself. The airlines could certainly do a better job. There is no excuse for the sitation like what happenned with some of those ten hour horror stories. But in general, people need to realize aviation is bloody complicated and downright dangerous, and the amount of effort to make the system work properly on a daily basis is tremendous. So yeah....every now and then...you have a wait a few hours for situations to be resolved and things to work out. And when youre stuck in those sitations, realize whats really going on and stop with your holier than thou bull ****.