CHANGES ABOUND FOR SURE

Dr. Trooth

We all know this team is a disaster and changes are coming... we just don't know what they will be. The offense is bad, and the defense, getting know help from the offense, will have logged enough plays that to have actually played 19 games. To add to all of this, we have an uncapped season coming up. What will that mean?

It would be interesting to know your thoughts on the uncapped season. But, off the top of my head, I see potential for a few things...

1) Cutting a high salary, low performance player might be en vogue big time. If a player signed a 5 Yr. $50M contract last year with a $10M signing bonus, cutting him would have no salary cap backlash. A team would have to pay any guaranteed money owed to the player though. Jamarcus Russel, you are gone... but don't cry... with the money you've already been paid, you're set for life... unless you are totally stupid.

2) There could be a slew of trades in the offseason... a team might want to part ways with player with a big contract whose performance is OK but doesn't figure into the teams plans. Or, just fill holes by exchanging players. The salary cap was a huge obstacle in making trades. Again, those bonuses that would automatically roll up in one cap year wouldn't happen with no cap, therefore no obstacle.

3) I'd be shocked if a few of the richer teams went on a spending spree for players because, if the owners are whole reason about nixing the current CBA they signed a few years ago, high player salaries, a 58% revenue contribution to the salaries, then increasing salaries and adding to your payroll doesn't augment their argument and would do just the opposite, giving the players leverage in a new CBA.

I see it as a way for teams to cut their losses and purge players that are not playing to the level of their contracts (value). In terms of the Bills, that would be Stroud, Kelsay, and possibly Schobel, McGee and Evans. The latter three I add because, if you plugged in three avg. or slightly below avg. players at those three positions, how much worse does it make this team? If Schobel and McGee don't have a lot more help from the front seven, what difference do they make... plus McGee can't hold up a full season. In Evans case, what good is he if he doesn't have a QB or Oline that can get him the ball? It's going to take 3-4 years to get this team to the playoffs with or without those players... and they'll be gone by then anyway.

As for the Bills... will they continue to "window dress" and whip up batches of koolaid for the 14 -35 year old fans (because they buy into bullschitt real easy... they think it's Madden), or do they blow the football operations up completely and go back to the drawing boards. If they choose the latter, we need someone in charge with strong leadership, that understands talent, coaching, is decisive, and above all, understands Buffalo... the community, the fans, and especially the climate. I believe the new guy in charge of football needs to mold this team to the Buffalo climate.... bruising ground game, big physical defense. The 3-4 needs to come back. Guys like Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, might be salvageable as OLBs... if not, cut the losses and move on. Offensively... a lot of focus needs to be placed on the o line... especially both OTs... that has to come before any talk of a QB, even though we need one desperately. I don't see too many QBs being available... perhaps Bulger or Anderson. But don't go after a QB unless you've secured the o line.

Yeah... it's going to be a strange but interesting offseason with not only the changes at OBD, but the uncapped year as well. Who knows what will happen. I can only guarantee that there will be a new batch of koolaid whipped up because they still need to sell tickets. That is definitely going to happen. But, this time, will there be some meat, potatoes, and substance to go with it? We don't want them to sign some clown like TO or Vick. We want them to clean house and build a new foundation.

We all know this team is a disaster and changes are coming... we just don't know what they will be. The offense is bad, and the defense, getting know help from the offense, will have logged enough plays that to have actually played 19 games. To add to all of this, we have an uncapped season coming up. What will that mean?

It would be interesting to know your thoughts on the uncapped season. But, off the top of my head, I see potential for a few things...

1) Cutting a high salary, low performance player might be en vogue big time. If a player signed a 5 Yr. $50M contract last year with a $10M signing bonus, cutting him would have no salary cap backlash. A team would have to pay any guaranteed money owed to the player though. Jamarcus Russel, you are gone... but don't cry... with the money you've already been paid, you're set for life... unless you are totally stupid.

2) There could be a slew of trades in the offseason... a team might want to part ways with player with a big contract whose performance is OK but doesn't figure into the teams plans. Or, just fill holes by exchanging players. The salary cap was a huge obstacle in making trades. Again, those bonuses that would automatically roll up in one cap year wouldn't happen with no cap, therefore no obstacle.

3) I'd be shocked if a few of the richer teams went on a spending spree for players because, if the owners are whole reason about nixing the current CBA they signed a few years ago, high player salaries, a 58% revenue contribution to the salaries, then increasing salaries and adding to your payroll doesn't augment their argument and would do just the opposite, giving the players leverage in a new CBA.

I see it as a way for teams to cut their losses and purge players that are not playing to the level of their contracts (value). In terms of the Bills, that would be Stroud, Kelsay, and possibly Schobel, McGee and Evans. The latter three I add because, if you plugged in three avg. or slightly below avg. players at those three positions, how much worse does it make this team? If Schobel and McGee don't have a lot more help from the front seven, what difference do they make... plus McGee can't hold up a full season. In Evans case, what good is he if he doesn't have a QB or Oline that can get him the ball? It's going to take 3-4 years to get this team to the playoffs with or without those players... and they'll be gone by then anyway.

As for the Bills... will they continue to "window dress" and whip up batches of koolaid for the 14 -35 year old fans (because they buy into bullschitt real easy... they think it's Madden), or do they blow the football operations up completely and go back to the drawing boards. If they choose the latter, we need someone in charge with strong leadership, that understands talent, coaching, is decisive, and above all, understands Buffalo... the community, the fans, and especially the climate. I believe the new guy in charge of football needs to mold this team to the Buffalo climate.... bruising ground game, big physical defense. The 3-4 needs to come back. Guys like Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, might be salvageable as OLBs... if not, cut the losses and move on. Offensively... a lot of focus needs to be placed on the o line... especially both OTs... that has to come before any talk of a QB, even though we need one desperately. I don't see too many QBs being available... perhaps Bulger or Anderson. But don't go after a QB unless you've secured the o line.

Yeah... it's going to be a strange but interesting offseason with not only the changes at OBD, but the uncapped year as well. Who knows what will happen. I can only guarantee that there will be a new batch of koolaid whipped up because they still need to sell tickets. That is definitely going to happen. But, this time, will there be some meat, potatoes, and substance to go with it? We don't want them to sign some clown like TO or Vick. We want them to clean house and build a new foundation.

I don't know what is funnier... Your obsession with Kool-Aid, or how miserable it must be to be in the same room with you. I am glad that us "bullschitt-buying" younger fans have cynical, bitter, fans like you to save us from ever getting excited about, what we foolishly see as, a game. You always let us know it is in fact a conspiracy by the Bills to ruin our lives. Thank you.

Maybe you should play some Madden to take your mind of all of this. It is a video game played for enjoyment. You are too old to know about video games and/or enjoyment, so, here, have some Kool-Aid and we'll show you... You are too tormented by your own genius. You seem to think that people confuse Madden for real-life... who's delusional?

You groundbreaking take on the OL is a true breath of fresh air. All the talk about how to build a team, and nobody ever brings up an OL, but you...you are on to something here, old timer!!! I was playing Madden and in my franchise the Packers were 9-5 and heading to the Playoffs with an OL that is a work in progress and a really high rated QB. I had to LOL because all I could think about was how that would never work in real life!! Besides who wants to go to the Playoffs? Maybe the Kool-Aid-drinking-whippersnappers, but you and I know that 18 year rebuilding project would be a lot more fun than playing football in January!!!

Thank you, again, for delivering us from the throes of our own stupidity... It is a lot better in this dreary, miserable, hopeless world you have shown us.

I don't know what is funnier... Your obsession with Kool-Aid, or how miserable it must be to be in the same room with you. I am glad that us "bullschitt-buying" younger fans have cynical, bitter, fans like you to save us from ever getting excited about, what we foolishly see as, a game. You always let us know it is in fact a conspiracy by the Bills to ruin our lives. Thank you.

Maybe you should play some Madden to take your mind of all of this. It is a video game played for enjoyment. You are too old to know about video games and/or enjoyment, so, here, have some Kool-Aid and we'll show you... You are too tormented by your own genius. You seem to think that people confuse Madden for real-life... who's delusional?

You groundbreaking take on the OL is a true breath of fresh air. All the talk about how to build a team, and nobody ever brings up an OL, but you...you are on to something here, old timer!!! I was playing Madden and in my franchise the Packers were 9-5 and heading to the Playoffs with an OL that is a work in progress and a really high rated QB. I had to LOL because all I could think about was how that would never work in real life!! Besides who wants to go to the Playoffs? Maybe the Kool-Aid-drinking-whippersnappers, but you and I know that 18 year rebuilding project would be a lot more fun than playing football in January!!!

Thank you, again, for delivering us from the throes of our own stupidity... It is a lot better in this dreary, miserable, hopeless world you have shown us.

How bout that game yesterday?

The NFL off-season will be interesting, perhaps more so than previous years given the CBA situation. Or it could be completely boring if teams aren't tendering those guys in their 4th and 5th seasons as RFA's. The owners may choose to collectively spend less, retain bad coaches, and cut player salary in preparation for a lockout in 2011.

Either way, the Bills had better come up with something because I don't think enough fans believe in their BS. They wore out their trust with the fans this season.

So you mean to tell me my xbox 360 was not broken the past 15 weeks? I couldnet figure out why the play calls i picked were never ran. Man im glad we cleard this up. I should probably call microsoft.

Oh and because i am in that age group i know nothing about football, is that what your saying. I normally dont bash people for their opinion but do not say that people dont know football.

Oh and a little knowledge drop signing bonus kinda guarantees money, cutting and trading these high salary underperforming players results in Cap Penalties. Besides if you tried to offer me a trade with above describe player i would laugh in your face and give you a high five for making my day less hectic

The NFL off-season will be interesting, perhaps more so than previous years given the CBA situation. Or it could be completely boring if teams aren't tendering those guys in their 4th and 5th seasons as RFA's. The owners may choose to collectively spend less, retain bad coaches, and cut player salary in preparation for a lockout in 2011.

Either way, the Bills had better come up with something because I don't think enough fans believe in their BS. They wore out their trust with the fans this season.

Just wait two more weeks, The Dean will be back to rally the blind homer troops.

The 3-4 needs to come back.

Ummm, maybe not. A major advantage of the 3-4 has nothing to do with Xs and Os: you increase your odds of drafting a really good player who's either too small or too big for his position in a 4-3. There are an awful lot of NFL teams running a 3-4 defense now so, as long as most college programs play the 4-3, the Bills are better off sticking with the 4-3 because they'll have more options when rebuilding through the draft.

I think the biggest problem with the Bills defense is not the alignment but the scheme; the Tampa 2 is an anti-pass scheme better suited for warm, passing-friendly weather. Given that they've only ever had one penetrating defensive lineman, Schobel, it's no wonder that they can't get off the field on third-and-long.