NFL Passing TD leaders top 10

1billsfan

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/leaders...DS/2009/regular

6 of the 8 division leading QBs are in the top 10 of total passing TDs. The other 2 are 13th and 14th respectively.

This is not good news considering there doesn't appear to be any franchise QBs in this coming draft and even if there were the Bills would have to give up plenty to move up to even have the opportunity to select him.

The reason I'm posting this is that I've seen people wanting a running game oriented guy as a head coach. While it's VERY important to have a good running game, the BEST path to the playoffs is having a guy who can throw TD passes first and a good running game second.

Having said all that, for success in 2010 we all had better hope that the Brian Brohm pickup was a major steal. Either that, or picking up a veteran QB like Collins, Garcia Bulger who can catch lightning in a bottle.

For those that want to argue, ask yourself how many playoff teams have there been with crappy QB play in the last five or so years. Rex Grossman's Superbowl run was an anomaly plain and simple.

Says who?

It's my opinion. So I'll ask you, who is the franchise QB in the 2010 draft?

...and if there is indeed a franchise QB in this draft and the Bills are around the 10th slot, how on earth could they move up to draft him when there are teams in front of them that would no doubt need him?

It's my opinion. So I'll ask you, who is the franchise QB in the 2010 draft?

...and if there is indeed a franchise QB in this draft and the Bills are around the 10th slot, how on earth could they move up to draft him when there are teams in front of them that would no doubt need him?

I don't watch enough college football to really give an educated answer to that. I know Kiper has two QBs in his top 5 (and that's after Locker's announcement), so that's as close to franchise as you get. No QB has ever come out of college without any question marks, so just because there are negatives to Clausen and Bradford doesn't mean they aren't worthy of top-10 picks. We can wait until guys like Mayock and Nawrocki put out their lists, but I trust Kiper more than the rest of the board seems to.

If we draft 10th, I would agree that we don't have a great shot at either without trading up. But if we lose out, and that's a very real possibility, then we could realistically be drafting as high as 5th. And that changes a lot of the math. Then you have to ask questions like, would StL pass on Suh for a QB? Are the Browns done with Quinn? I think it would be much more realistic.

I don't watch enough college football to really give an educated answer to that. I know Kiper has two QBs in his top 5 (and that's after Locker's announcement), so that's as close to franchise as you get. No QB has ever come out of college without any question marks, so just because there are negatives to Clausen and Bradford doesn't mean they aren't worthy of top-10 picks. We can wait until guys like Mayock and Nawrocki put out their lists, but I trust Kiper more than the rest of the board seems to.

If we draft 10th, I would agree that we don't have a great shot at either without trading up. But if we lose out, and that's a very real possibility, then we could realistically be drafting as high as 5th. And that changes a lot of the math. Then you have to ask questions like, would StL pass on Suh for a QB? Are the Browns done with Quinn? I think it would be much more realistic.

I forgot about Bradford. That's certainly an avenue (risky?) to a franchise QB. If the Bills had the opportunity (which they just might given that his injury issues could make him slip), and made a very huge roll of the dice on a guy like that, they should not even think of letting him play till 2011. By then the line should be settled. This is NOT an endorsement, merely a "what if" they selected Bradford...

Bradford has my endorsement, as long as the doctors sign off on his shoulder.

Here' a write-up by Nawrocki on the QB class. It was written in October, and I think the consensus would be Pike, Clausen and especially Locker have only improved their ranking since then. He haw very favorable things to say about Bradford, too. I think where the overhyped part comes in is for Tebow and McCoy.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/10/3...rhyped-qb-class

Back to your original post, if top-flight QBs are necessary, why do you think scraping the barrel for Garcia, Collins or Bulger is the answer? I think the best choices available are the draft or Jason Campbell, if he comes available. Otherwise, you're left to luck into a Warner or Brady.

Bradford has my endorsement, as long as the doctors sign off on his shoulder.

Here' a write-up by Nawrocki on the QB class. It was written in October, and I think the consensus would be Pike, Clausen and especially Locker have only improved their ranking since then. He haw very favorable things to say about Bradford, too. I think where the overhyped part comes in is for Tebow and McCoy.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/10/3...rhyped-qb-class

Back to your original post, if top-flight QBs are necessary, why do you think scraping the barrel for Garcia, Collins or Bulger is the answer? I think the best choices available are the draft or Jason Campbell, if he comes available. Otherwise, you're left to luck into a Warner or Brady.

It's a "catching lightning in a bottle" scenario and perhaps groom Brohm for another year. Nothing about a long term answer obviously.

300 yard passers have a 70 winning percentage, which is up from about 45% five years ago. The NFL is a passing league, and we need a franchise QB to win.

This is spot on, and several statistics bear this out. Generally, in the NFL winning teams win by having a great passing offense.

It is somewhat counterintuitive (mostly because it goes against "old school" notions of football), but great offenses tend to yield better results than great defenses, and great offenses tend to be great passing teams.

The thing we're lacking most? Sadly, a great passing offense ... and our results over the last 10+ years are consistent with what the data would predict. :-(