This Is What I Want To See In The Offseason

H2o

Free Agency:

Priority #1, go get Marcus McNeil. He would be the answer to our LT woes. He's played well since day 1 in San Diego and would give us one less thing to take gamble on in the draft, since we'll likely be picking around 8-12. Priority #2, that I would like to see, go after Richard Seymour. I think he would love nothing more than to be able to stick it to the Pats* twice a year and I would love to see him do that lined up beside Stroud in a Bills uni. Priority #3, get Derrick Johnson. He played at a Pro Bowl level at ROLB when KC was running the 4-3 and that is exactly where I would put him on our defense. So with those 3 moves we would vastly improve the OL and our run defense. Priority #4, sign Daunte Culpepper. I know, I know, he hasn't been much wthout Moss, but he's only 33 and could serve as a "stop-gap" until the QB we draft is ready to go. He's also only 33, has good size, and a strong arm. I think he and Lee Evans could be something special next year with Daunte's ability to throw the deep ball. I'd also like to see us make a play for Vincent Jackson, it's just not one of the top priorities I would have for this team. I still want to see what Hardy has to offer before we go out and commit to another WR. Hopefully, having a year learning under Owens will help him along the way. I still don't think he's fully recovered from the knee injury, but will have no excuse going into next season. I also think that having Daunte would benefit him as well because Culpepper would know how to throw the ball up allowing Hardy to use his size to his advantage. If we could somehow get Jackson in FA though, I wouldn't care what they did with Hardy. That would be the extent of my moves in FA. It would allow us to not have to worry about drafting an OT #1 or a DT #1. We would also have an upgrade at LB, QB, and surely WR even though I don't really see Jackson leaving San Diego as realistic.

The Draft:

Throwing everything into the hopes of being able to draft Rolando McClain #1, which would be my move. The guy is 6'4" and at 258lbs still can cover. He also lowers the boom on opponents every chance he gets. He's pretty much unblockable and is a real student of the game. Our new starting MLB from day 1. Round 2, we could take Pike if he's on the board. He could have a year or two learning behind Culpepper and then take over, which would benefit us not having to throw the guy to the wolves out the gate. If Pike is off the board though, I'd like to see us take a young guy to play RT possibly like Justin Fox from Miami or Sam Young from Notre Dame. I think either of the two would be an improvement and could help our team early. Round 3, depending on if we get Pike in Round 2, this would definitely be our QB if we haven't already gotten one. I'd go after a guy like Dan LeFevour, who will likely still be there in the 3rd. If we drafted Pike in the 2nd I would go after Ciron Black to play RT if he was still there. If he's not there, I'd take the best remaining OT available. From there, the best player available that's not a DB. :rolleyes:

These moves would change the whole landscape of our franchise and, I believe, would put us moving in the right direction for sure. It would allow us to move Puz back to his natural LOLB position, have Derrick Johnson playing his natural ROLB position, and have McClain manning the middle. We would also have Seymour on the inside with Williams, McCargo, and Johnson to rotate in. Our run defense would be the most improved in the league. With a better group of people up front we would have more options to do things that create pressure which would give this teams strength, the defensive backfield, a chance to make more plays and create turnovers. It would also give Maybin the opportunity to have a full offseason and training camp to see if he can develope into a quality DE in this league. Maybe even put on another 10lbs or so in the offseason. The offense would be improved with better blocking, allowing our RB's to get more done on the ground, and it would open up the passing game for Culpepper. I think it would give us the best shot at the playoffs since '99.

Marcus McNeil, Richard Seymour, Derrick Johnson and Vincent Jackson is one hell of an offseason. With the NFL heading into an uncapped year, I doubt we would be able to get all four of these guys. The Dallas' of the world will overpay for a lot of these guys. But, it's nice to dream...

Free Agency:

Priority #1, go get Marcus McNeil. He would be the answer to our LT woes. He's played well since day 1 in San Diego and would give us one less thing to take gamble on in the draft, since we'll likely be picking around 8-12. Priority #2, that I would like to see, go after Richard Seymour. I think he would love nothing more than to be able to stick it to the Pats* twice a year and I would love to see him do that lined up beside Stroud in a Bills uni. Priority #3, get Derrick Johnson. He played at a Pro Bowl level at ROLB when KC was running the 4-3 and that is exactly where I would put him on our defense. So with those 3 moves we would vastly improve the OL and our run defense. Priority #4, sign Daunte Culpepper. I know, I know, he hasn't been much wthout Moss, but he's only 33 and could serve as a "stop-gap" until the QB we draft is ready to go. He's also only 33, has good size, and a strong arm. I think he and Lee Evans could be something special next year with Daunte's ability to throw the deep ball. I'd also like to see us make a play for Vincent Jackson, it's just not one of the top priorities I would have for this team. I still want to see what Hardy has to offer before we go out and commit to another WR. Hopefully, having a year learning under Owens will help him along the way. I still don't think he's fully recovered from the knee injury, but will have no excuse going into next season. I also think that having Daunte would benefit him as well because Culpepper would know how to throw the ball up allowing Hardy to use his size to his advantage. If we could somehow get Jackson in FA though, I wouldn't care what they did with Hardy. That would be the extent of my moves in FA. It would allow us to not have to worry about drafting an OT #1 or a DT #1. We would also have an upgrade at LB, QB, and surely WR even though I don't really see Jackson leaving San Diego as realistic.

The Draft:

Throwing everything into the hopes of being able to draft Rolando McClain #1, which would be my move. The guy is 6'4" and at 258lbs still can cover. He also lowers the boom on opponents every chance he gets. He's pretty much unblockable and is a real student of the game. Our new starting MLB from day 1. Round 2, we could take Pike if he's on the board. He could have a year or two learning behind Culpepper and then take over, which would benefit us not having to throw the guy to the wolves out the gate. If Pike is off the board though, I'd like to see us take a young guy to play RT possibly like Justin Fox from Miami or Sam Young from Notre Dame. I think either of the two would be an improvement and could help our team early. Round 3, depending on if we get Pike in Round 2, this would definitely be our QB if we haven't already gotten one. I'd go after a guy like Dan LeFevour, who will likely still be there in the 3rd. If we drafted Pike in the 2nd I would go after Ciron Black to play RT if he was still there. If he's not there, I'd take the best remaining OT available. From there, the best player available that's not a DB. :rolleyes:

These moves would change the whole landscape of our franchise and, I believe, would put us moving in the right direction for sure. It would allow us to move Puz back to his natural LOLB position, have Derrick Johnson playing his natural ROLB position, and have McClain manning the middle. We would also have Seymour on the inside with Williams, McCargo, and Johnson to rotate in. Our run defense would be the most improved in the league. With a better group of people up front we would have more options to do things that create pressure which would give this teams strength, the defensive backfield, a chance to make more plays and create turnovers. It would also give Maybin the opportunity to have a full offseason and training camp to see if he can develope into a quality DE in this league. Maybe even put on another 10lbs or so in the offseason. The offense would be improved with better blocking, allowing our RB's to get more done on the ground, and it would open up the passing game for Culpepper. I think it would give us the best shot at the playoffs since '99.

There is a very good chance that Jason Campbell, the qb for the Redskins, might be available. He is a restricted free agent who as of late has been playing very well. If we could get a credible qb then , as you stated, we can address a number of other areas. I also like your idea of pursuing Derrick Johnson. That would also help fill another need before the draft.

Marcus McNeil, Richard Seymour, Derrick Johnson and Vincent Jackson is one hell of an offseason. With the NFL heading into an uncapped year, I doubt we would be able to get all four of these guys. The Dallas' of the world will overpay for a lot of these guys. But, it's nice to dream...

Plus if its uncapped only Seymour is unrestricted.