Todd McShay

dave mcbride

Yeah, TBD posters vs. Todd McShay. Pardon me if I don't take you at face value on that one.

I don't remember McShay ever calling Maybin a "can't miss superstar." Link? I do remember him saying Matt Ryan would be a superstar when Kiper was saying just the opposite. Pardon me if I'll take his word over that of Florio or most of the TBD draftnicks.

Mike Mayock on NFL network is better than McShay and Kiper in his pre-draft and draft day analysis

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MRW, the person Florio quotes is a "league official."

In addition the thrust of the PFT post was that Locker "submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee" which, according to the NCAA is made up of 12 general managers/personnel directors of NFL clubs and the directors of the NFL’s two scouting combines.

Under this program student-athletes that are at least three years out of high school may receive a general assessment of their draft potential. The committee will provide the player its best estimate of the highest round in which he has the potential to be drafted. Locker got a 2nd round grade. Of course all it takes is one team to think otherwise but still, these are the opinions of professional scouts.

As also stated in Florio's post, the league source said "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league."

I don't know whether I'd call McShay clueless but his resume would suggest that he's not really as qualified as a scout. He played a bit in high school and college and has never worked as a scout.

Thus, Florio's point is that not only is McShay's evaluation questionable, but his evaluations can be a great disservice to players considering whether to declare for the draft.

Do you think that the opinion of the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee does not carry more weight than the opinion of Todd McShay?

No, but he's an annoyance at worst. The assertion that some kid coming out of college is going to rely on the word of one draft analyst and be heartbroken if he doesn't go that high is dubious at best. If anything I'd say the existence of an NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee is more likely to give a false sense of confidence about where someone will be drafted. At least with McShay, Kiper, etc. they're just some blowhard spouting an opinion without any kind of implied endorsement from the league.

No, but he's an annoyance at worst. The assertion that some kid coming out of college is going to rely on the word of one draft analyst and be heartbroken if he doesn't go that high is dubious at best. If anything I'd say the existence of an NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee is more likely to give a false sense of confidence about where someone will be drafted. At least with McShay, Kiper, etc. they're just some blowhard spouting an opinion without any kind of implied endorsement from the league.

I understand. Thanks. (edit) And you make a good point.