Are injuries a result of poor play?

SpecialK15

With injuries and the number of players on IR continuing to mount. I must pose the question. Are injuries a result of poor play (position technique, mistakes made on coverage, etc.)? In my opinion, I say yes. As we've seen this year, a core group of the, seemingly less exclusive by the week, IR club is comprised of the OL. Poor play and being over matched by the defenses we've played probably caused them to make mistakes/missteps thus making injuries more prone to happen. That being said, we do have a huge number of (sub/)average players and not enough studs, which make playing playoff caliber teams even that more difficult. A vicious cycle...

With injuries and the number of players on IR continuing to mount. I must pose the question. Are injuries a result of poor play (position technique, mistakes made on coverage, etc.)? In my opinion, I say yes. As we've seen this year, a core group of the, seemingly less exclusive by the week, IR club is comprised of the OL. Poor play and being over matched by the defenses we've played probably caused them to make mistakes/missteps thus making injuries more prone to happen. That being said, we do have a huge number of (sub/)average players and not enough studs, which make playing playoff caliber teams even that more difficult. A vicious cycle...

There's nothing to substantiate it of course, but I still maintain that the film that all teams saw - Mitchell's game#2 cheap shot to TB's Leftwich's throat late in a game already decided made BUF players fair game. Gloves off.

My 2 cents yada yada yada...

The Bills suffer an average number of injuries, and in fact have suffered fewer injuries than the Pats from 2006-2008 (see Mark Gaughan's chat today on the News' site for details). The idea that the Bills suffer more injuries than other teams is a myth that won't go away. It may seem worse for the Bills because the backups are so poor.

The Bills suffer an average number of injuries, and in fact have suffered fewer injuries than the Pats from 2006-2008 (see Mark Gaughan's chat today on the News' site for details). The idea that the Bills suffer more injuries than other teams is a myth that won't go away. It may seem worse for the Bills because the backups are so poor.

Is your avatar one of the old parts from the '50's - '60's vibrating football field toys?

I think also, many of the players who get injured are so irrelevant, that they just go on IR rather than lingering on the roster. I don't really know about the severity of most of these injuries, but it's not like there's a reason to save a roster spot for Marcus Buggs for 4-5 weeks.

Is your avatar one of the old parts from the '50's - '60's vibrating football field toys?

Indeed, it is! I tried to find the classic white QB figure (no pun intended) -- which was in every set I played with -- but yellow was the best I could find. Electric football (with the little cotton ball) has to be on of the craziest games ever created.

I think also, many of the players who get injured are so irrelevant, that they just go on IR rather than lingering on the roster. I don't really know about the severity of most of these injuries, but it's not like there's a reason to save a roster spot for Marcus Buggs for 4-5 weeks.

That's an excellent point - the IR numbers are high because the scrubs are so dispensible. If they get a high ankle sprain in week 3, you may as well IR them.

Refusal to practice in the elements caused some of our injuries?

sure, you need to have some experience in the elements you may face, thus outdoor northern teams tend to have an advantage on those 10 degree nites in december.

But Dick(less) did not have the team hit each other in practice, which imo is the biggest reason for injury. that is like a boxer training for a 12 round fight without ever getting hit.

sure, you need to have some experience in the elements you may face, thus outdoor northern teams tend to have an advantage on those 10 degree nites in december.

But Dick(less) did not have the team hit each other in practice, which imo is the biggest reason for injury. that is like a boxer training for a 12 round fight without ever getting hit.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1672689

The no hitting in practice is a possibility but I still don't get the elements theory. The Bills haven't even seen a game yet this year that would be anything more than slightly chilly. They could have practiced outside all year and I don't see it making any difference on the injury report.

Really? We've got 16 players on IR this season and had 17 on IR in 2007. Something just doesn't seem right about that. Maybe the Bills have suffered fewer overall injuries, but how many season-ending injuries have been suffered by other teams? We have six offensive linemen on IR this year. That's got to be approaching some kind of record.

The no hitting in practice is a possibility but I still don't get the elements theory. The Bills haven't even seen a game yet this year that would be anything more than slightly chilly. They could have practiced outside all year and I don't see it making any difference on the injury report.

i agreee. hence me skirting around the weather part and suggesting the contact part

Here's the number of guys on IR for the worst teams in the league:

Oakland - 4

Cleveland - 12

Washington - 10

Chicago - 5

Detroit - 16

Tampa Bay - 15

St. Louis - 11

Seattle - 4

Buffalo - 16

Doesn't look like there's a specific correlation between injuries and poor play........