'Waterworld' discovered 40 lightyears from earth

Beerball

how far is that in kilograms?

link

The star's modest surface temperature of 2,700°C, though, means that GJ1214b itself is a balmy 200°C.

"suggests that GJ1214b is composed of about three-fourths water and other ices, and one-fourth rock".

What ice will exist in 200oC? (392oF)

Just read the Bootnote

The boiling point of water rises with pressure, so evidently GJ1214b has a surface pressure greater than 16 Bar, at which water boils at 200°C, according to this handy guide.

This is something which most science fiction fans (not the kind with the space ships with lasers attacking ships going faster than light) understand. They have been a number of stories on planets with lower than earth pressure with settlers needing to adjust to changes like lower boiling point of water. Even on tall mountains it is a factor with hikers warned to check the temperature of item cooking for it may not be hot enough to kill germs.

Just read the Bootnote

The boiling point of water rises with pressure, so evidently GJ1214b has a surface pressure greater than 16 Bar, at which water boils at 200°C, according to this handy guide.

This is something which most science fiction fans (not the kind with the space ships with lasers attacking ships going faster than light) understand. They have been a number of stories on planets with lower than earth pressure with settlers needing to adjust to changes like lower boiling point of water. Even on tall mountains it is a factor with hikers warned to check the temperature of item cooking for it may not be hot enough to kill germs.

And also, not all planets rotate on their axis such that every part of the planet may have portions that are permanently far from (not in the light of) the star, which could result in a much colder portion of the planet.

And who has any idea how high a mountain is on that planet? It could be 10 miles high--plenty high to have ice formations.

And also, not all planets rotate on their axis such that every part of the planet may have portions that are permanently far from (not in the light of) the star, which could result in a much colder portion of the planet.

And who has any idea how high a mountain is on that planet? It could be 10 miles high--plenty high to have ice formations.

Actually this ICE 7 is pretty cool...er...hot...it's hotter than the boiling point of water!

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...l-ici031507.php

Actually this ICE 7 is pretty cool...er...hot...it's hotter than the boiling point of water!

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...l-ici031507.php

Eh.

pV = nRT. Brownian Movement. Clausius-Clapeyron equation. Carnot cycle. The intensive/extensive properties. Scalar and non-scalar vectors. Wives.

I love flinging out terms I used to be up on. :unsure:

I would like to take a moment to thank all you effers for your effin comments meant to make me look stupid. Your all rediculous nerdy nerds.

I think it was your lack of grammar, spelling and lack of reading comprehension which made you think you looked stupid. I'll accept you as an expert witness on your stupidity. :thumbsup: