Dec. 16th 1944

dib

The German Ardennes offensive kicks off.

I wish the girl in your avatar would raise her right hand and take an oath. THEN we'd have a Battle of the Bulge(s).

In typical German fashion, they went too far too fast and outran their re-supply.Terribly costly campaign for the Allies, once it was squelched, we virtually walked into the Fatherland and the European Theater was over in less than 5 months.

This isn't really related to this topic much, but it made me think of it. I was watching Paths of Glory yesterday, anybody ever seen it? I thought it was a fantastic movie. I've loved most of Kubrick's works including; Clockwork, 2001, and Dr. Strangelove but I'd have to say this is right up there with those. The movie puts quite a dramatic and anti-war view on WWI, from the walk down the trenches, to the final march towards the shooting squad. There was a lot of emotion and sadness and I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

This isn't really related to this topic much, but it made me think of it. I was watching Paths of Glory yesterday, anybody ever seen it? I thought it was a fantastic movie. I've loved most of Kubrick's works including; Clockwork, 2001, and Dr. Strangelove but I'd have to say this is right up there with those. The movie puts quite a dramatic and anti-war view on WWI, from the walk down the trenches, to the final march towards the shooting squad. There was a lot of emotion and sadness and I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

Thanks! - I'll look for it.

Every now and then, the History Channel (I think) re-broadcasts the Band of Brothers series. A must-see...a very moving story.

In typical German fashion, they went too far too fast and outran their re-supply.Terribly costly campaign for the Allies, once it was squelched, we virtually walked into the Fatherland and the European Theater was over in less than 5 months.

Wow. That's almost completely incorrect. :thumbsup:

Why do you say that? :thumbsup:

Because the battle was not fought "in typical German fashion"; they did not go too fast and outrun their resupply; it was not a "terribly costly" campaign for the Allies; and we didn't virtually walk into Germany afterwards.

Other than that, the post was spot on - the European campaign ended about five months later.

Because the battle was not fought "in typical German fashion"; they did not go too fast and outrun their resupply; it was not a "terribly costly" campaign for the Allies; and we didn't virtually walk into Germany afterwards.

Other than that, the post was spot on - the European campaign ended about five months later.

Granted, I was a little lean on detail, but the attack was indeed sprung in typical Blitzkrieg fashion, mimicking their intial incursion there in 1940. They needed to reach the Muse (sp) river through the forest in 4 days, in order to turn north and race to the coast, trapping and garnering northern Allies and their supplies/fuel. When weather allowed, Allied air strikes wiped out their southern flank and their lean suppy lines. By the first of January '45, German forces lauched a second attack in the north, primarily to allow the 'Bulge' force to retreat back to Germany, leaving virtually all their armor on the battlefield. They would never again launch an offensive in the west. American casulites approached 100k (20k dead, X4 wounded/missing), by far the worst totals of the entire US war effort. In early Feb, Allied forces began the push into the 'Fatherland' from the east and west, and the European Theater would come to a close in 3.5 months.

This is still shy on detail, but accurate.

Granted, I was a little lean on detail, but the attack was indeed sprung in typical Blitzkrieg fashion, mimicking their intial incursion there in 1940. They needed to reach the Muse (sp) river through the forest in 4 days, in order to turn north and race to the coast, trapping and garnering northern Allies and their supplies/fuel. When weather allowed, Allied air strikes wiped out their southern flank and their lean suppy lines. By the first of January '45, German forces lauched a second attack in the north, primarily to allow the 'Bulge' force to retreat back to Germany, leaving virtually all their armor on the battlefield. They would never again launch an offensive in the west. American casulites approached 100k (20k dead, X4 wounded/missing), by far the worst totals of the entire US war effort. In early Feb, Allied forces began the push into the 'Fatherland' from the east and west, and the European Theater would come to a close in 3.5 months.

This is still shy on detail, but accurate.

No, actually, it's not accurate.

Wish I had time to explain it to you, frankly. You go off the tracks at "typical blitzkreig fashion", frankly - of which there's no such concept in the German military lexicon. And even if there was, it still wouldn't be accurate.

In early Feb, Allied forces began the push into the 'Fatherland' from the east and west, and the European Theater would come to a close in 3.5 months.

No, actually, it's not accurate.

Wish I had time to explain it to you, frankly. You go off the tracks at "typical blitzkreig fashion", frankly - of which there's no such concept in the German military lexicon. And even if there was, it still wouldn't be accurate.

You disa!@#$ingpoint me Tom

He set you up for a 3.5 reference but you whiffed :lol: