If Bills beat PATS & Colts, is the coach search over?

Chuckknox

He wins a few more games and he is probably in contention. I don't think the "established" NFL coaches such as Shanahan, Haslett and Schottenheimer are interested in the job, and with the possible exception of Schottenheimer, are right for the job. Fewell has the opportunity to showcase his coaching skills, knows the team and would be worth a year or two while the new GM and front office assesses the decision and decides to re-sign him or go in another direction. The presentchallenge is to get a new GM.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You watch these last two games?

When have the Bills had a "shiny new toy? Was that DJ? Mularkey? Williams?

Yeah and you have no clue what you're talking about. He could turn out to be a complete bust.

And would you consider Mularky, Jouron, G. Williams, Wade....shiny new toys? Or did you at the time? I particularly remember when the Bills announced Jouron as the new head coach and saying out loud: "WHAT THE F!?!? Is this a bad dream?"

even considering Fewell is a total joke...and so are you if you think he is worth considering.

You rubes are making my point. There is nothing Perry Fewell can do to win the job in your eyes because he's not "elite", whatever the f**k that means. I see a guy who is getting some decent play out of an otherwise god-awful football team. You all seem to think if he can't turn crap into gold he sucks as a coach. Fine. Fewell will get a head coaching job elsewhere and you can all make excuses about his success.

PTR

Alot of time is spent discussing situations on this board that have no chance of occuring. Buffalo will be lucky to win one of the last 3 games, much less all 3. Ralphy would love them to win all 3 though, would have an excuse not to pay real money to a real coach, instead another no experience, Johnny come cheaply coach.

You rubes are making my point. There is nothing Perry Fewell can do to win the job in your eyes because he's not "elite", whatever the f**k that means. I see a guy who is getting some decent play out of an otherwise god-awful football team. You all seem to think if he can't turn crap into gold he sucks as a coach. Fine. Fewell will get a head coaching job elsewhere and you can all make excuses about his success.

PTR

The Giants hired a guy back in the 1980's who sat in the stands at Denver games? Is that elite either? The guy's name was Parcells.

Most of the fans treat this the same way they treat free agents- "Oh, I know that name, lets sign him." There is a reason they sit in the stands......

If the new GM they bring in thinks he's good enough, I'm fine with it. They need a brand new front office before anyone on the field can get anything significant done.

100% agree. GM should be the first hire, not the coach. Any coaching candidate should be judged by the man who will build the team.

PTR

If the new GM they bring in thinks he's good enough, I'm fine with it. They need a brand new front office before anyone on the field can get anything significant done.

I agree. The HC position is meangless until the FO is cleaned out and someone who knows how to draft is running the front office.

Are you....OUT OF YOUR F'ING MIND?

This MUST be a joke...and if it is not, you're one of the dumbest people that has ever posted on this board..if not THE dumbest.

i dont get it. how is he the dumbest person for saying what he said? if we beat the pats and indy it would be an acomplishment! being realistic, we most likely will lose these 2 games. if we somehow pull off the wins, it would in fact be an acomplishment.

i dont get it.

to answer the original question. hell yes he can keep it imo.

key word IF

even with the colt back ups, the game will be difficult

as far as pats that i despise, we cant beat them when they are not fighting for a playoff spot.....now that they need this win, history says we will lose.

i still love the bills. im just being realistic.

ps. i dont want to lose out. i prefer 3-0.

It would be very hard to ignore those wins, would be a great accomplishment.

I could ignore them because Fewell has not even remotely earned a chance at an NFL head coaching job.

I don't care about some "tah-dah" he could pull out of his asss. History says he is a poor coordinator. Four years of bottom of the league defense. Two seasons ago, his defense gave up TD's on 8 consecutive drives to NE. AT HOME. In a league where DC's earn their merit on their ability to creatively pressure the passer, Fewell has fallen woefully short.

IMO, if he is let go after this season, he will never even rise to a DC position again. Perry Fewell is a non-descript defensive backs coach who was only given a chance as a coordinator because a proven loser HC in Dick Jauron could not attract a good assistant to fill the position. If he were hired as the full time HC, does anyone really think that Fewell could attract quality assistants? The kind that want to and know that they can wow the league and ascend? You know, the kind that get chances at HC jobs with NFL organizations with competent people in charge?

Look, there is no guarantee a coordinator will make a great coach. But excellence at your assistant position should be a minimal qualification to ascension to HC in the NFL. Hiring Fewell would be utterly ridiculous.

I could ignore them because Fewell has not even remotely earned a chance at an NFL head coaching job.

I don't care about some "tah-dah" he could pull out of his asss. History says he is a poor coordinator. Four years of bottom of the league defense. Two seasons ago, his defense gave up TD's on 8 consecutive drives to NE. AT HOME. In a league where DC's earn their merit on their ability to creatively pressure the passer, Fewell has fallen woefully short.

IMO, if he is let go after this season, he will never even rise to a DC position again. Perry Fewell is a non-descript defensive backs coach who was only given a chance as a coordinator because a proven loser HC in Dick Jauron could not attract a good assistant to fill the position. If he were hired as the full time HC, does anyone really think that Fewell could attract quality assistants? The kind that want to and know that they can wow the league and ascend? You know, the kind that get chances at HC jobs with NFL organizations with competent people in charge?

Look, there is no guarantee a coordinator will make a great coach. But excellence at your assistant position should be a minimal qualification to ascension to HC in the NFL. Hiring Fewell would be utterly ridiculous.

Not even 1st choice from the Bears... he got the gig after Bob Babich turned the Bills down. Signing him as DC was just one of many desperate mistakes the Bills made in 2006. :lol:

Not even 1st choice from the Bears... he got the gig after Bob Babich turned the Bills down. Signing him as DC was just one of many desperate mistakes the Bills made in 2006. :lol:

It started with a qualified GM candidate(Donahoe) making a mistake hiring a not quite qualified man to be the head coach(GW). Followed by another unqualified HC(Mularkey). Then an unqualified GM AND proven BAD HC were hired(Levy/Jauron) Then the GM reigns were turned over to someone who was BEYOND unqualified(Russ)....and now a guy who isn't even a decent assistant may become the HC? This is a prime example of how nobody circles the drain like the Buffalo Bills.

what new GM???

If Fewell is the coach, then nothing changes in the front office

Brandon will sell the firing of Dick as the big move and the lemmings will eat it up and set ticket sales records

It would be very hard to ignore those wins, would be a great accomplishment.

I'm gonna keep doing this until I'm convinced these type of threads are gone for good...

:lol:

Seriously...Has the last 10 years simply rotted some brains around here that much? If Fewell is the Bills HC in 2010 get ready for another 3 years of crap...Cause that's what's going to happen...The Bills will still suck and still be looking for a legit NFL HC... :lol:

The reason people don't like Fewell has nothing to do with his performance as interim head coach and everything to do with the stink of Dick Jauron.

The reason people don't like Fewell is 4 years of mediocre to downright crappy defenses. When Fewell is on the open market after the season is over, does anybody really think that teams with HC vacancies will have him on their short list of candidates?

The clock management at the end of the half vs. the Jets should be reason alone to disqualify him from contention.