Things I Would Like to See the Last Few Games

Sblesq

1. Brohm start at QB

2. Maybin start (or at least get some significant PT) at LB

3. Hardy and Ellis be active and play

In short, this year is lost, lets see what these guys can do. Worst case scenario, all fail, could actually be best case scenario as 3 losses=better draft position.

Don't see any happening, though, as Fewell is fighting for his job and will put the best team he has available on the field, and the FO is too disfunctional to impose any reasonable requirements on the HC.

1. Brohm start at QB

2. Maybin start (or at least get some significant PT) at LB

3. Hardy and Ellis be active and play

In short, this year is lost, lets see what these guys can do. Worst case scenario, all fail, could actually be best case scenario as 3 losses=better draft position.

Don't see any happening, though, as Fewell is fighting for his job and will put the best team he has available on the field, and the FO is too disfunctional to impose any reasonable requirements on the HC.

I don't know if Fewell is fighting for his possibility of being named HC - but with the win at KC - they are still alive, and if he's worth his salt, he's going to put his best team out there.

They are reeling, staggering, but they are still in the ring and so can show up for the next round. We wait and see - you never know.

I don't know if Ellis is a go, health-wise. If he is, I make him a game day active, and sit Maybin.

Actually with the Pats win the Bills are eliminated from the AFC East crown. Pretty sure we were done with the wild-card last week. As for playing Brohm, Hardy, etc, what's the point? These guys are not going to play well. If anything they will get themselves killed. They will have the offseason to play their way into the lineup. Right now I want to see them beat the Pats.

PTR

Actually with the Pats win the Bills are eliminated from the AFC East crown. Pretty sure we were done with the wild-card last week. As for playing Brohm, Hardy, etc, what's the point? These guys are not going to play well. If anything they will get themselves killed. They will have the offseason to play their way into the lineup. Right now I want to see them beat the Pats.

PTR

Are you sure about this?

If the Bills win out and the Pats, Dolphins, and Jets all lose out,

couldn't the Bills still win the division at 8-8?

Are you sure about this?

If the Bills win out and the Pats, Dolphins, and Jets all lose out,

couldn't the Bills still win the division at 8-8?

Pats already have 8 wins so all we can do is tie them. We tie head-to-head (1-1). We tie division record (3-3). The Pats beat us on conference record (7-5 vs 6-6). Keep in mind the above numbers assume the Bills win out and the Pats* lose out. If it were a 3-way tie between Jets/Bills/Pats*, the Pats* win. 3-way with Pats*/Fins/Bills Miami wins (4-2 div record). A 4-way tie goes to the Dolphins on div record.

Before anyone flames me about being a homer, all I am doing is posting the Bills playoff possibilities, remote and non-existent as they are. I like to be positive but I know this was all highly unlikely.

PTR

The best players available should always play, IMO. This is professional football and everything you get as a player should be earned. This coaching staff is well aware of what they have at this point and if Brohm was a better option he'd be starting. Throwing him in there too early is a disservice to him and his teammates.

PTR

Not the AFC crown - that's gone.

CIN has key defensive injuries, and as I've noted for years - Palmer is very iffy. The '05 leg thing, the '08 elbow thing, the '09 left wrist thing. He's degraded for several games - against MIN - 6 screen passes, was 1-5 on passes over 10 yards, his biggest completion was for 15 yards against MIN. His last 300 yard game was in '07. Their official line is that other clubs are guarding the pass, so that's why they run. And bemoan the loss of Chris Henry for not being able to stretch the field,and complain that the opposition is taking pains to shut down their pass game. - :wallbash:

They put in J.T. Sullivan to mop up. Palmer garnered 94 yards, 15 of 25. He's been nothing since his early season spurt, getting squeak victories with improbable runs.

I think Palmer has had it - but they will start him the next 3 games. Lewis and his OC Bratkowski are so predictable, MIN's Pat Williams made post game comments about that:

“To y’all they’re super Bengals. That’s the same old Bengals to me,” Vikings defensive tackle Pat Williams said. “I watched tape all week. They didn’t impress me none.”

;)

And he's right. Game planning against the B'gals offensive scheme is like game planning against Elmo. For years. Ownership in action there - nobody regardless of performance gets canned until their contract runs out, unless the owner needs a scapegoat. Leslie Frazier (MIN DC), is a notable one.

Bottom line:

You can see the current AFC North team's W-L loss records. I can see either CIN, PGH, and CIN backing in at 9-7 for the crown. and BUF alive. I don't know what tiebreakers BUF faces.

It's possible...

Not the AFC crown - that's gone.

CIN has key defensive injuries, and as I've noted for years - Palmer is very iffy. The '05 leg thing, the '08 elbow thing, the '09 left wrist thing. He's degraded for several games - against MIN - 6 screen passes, was 1-5 on passes over 10 yards, his biggest completion was for 15 yards against MIN. His last 300 yard game was in '07. Their official line is that other clubs are guarding the pass, so that's why they run. And bemoan the loss of Chris Henry for not being able to stretch the field,and complain that the opposition is taking pains to shut down their pass game. - :wallbash:

They put in J.T. Sullivan to mop up. Palmer garnered 94 yards, 15 of 25. He's been nothing since his early season spurt, getting squeak victories with improbable runs.

I think Palmer has had it - but they will start him the next 3 games. Lewis and his OC Bratkowski are so predictable, MIN's Pat Williams made post game comments about that:

“To y’all they’re super Bengals. That’s the same old Bengals to me,” Vikings defensive tackle Pat Williams said. “I watched tape all week. They didn’t impress me none.”

;)

And he's right. Game planning against the B'gals offensive scheme is like game planning against Elmo. For years. Ownership in action there - nobody regardless of performance gets canned until their contract runs out, unless the owner needs a scapegoat. Leslie Frazier (MIN DC), is a notable one.

Bottom line:

You can see the current AFC North team's W-L loss records. I can see either CIN, PGH, and CIN backing in at 9-7 for the crown. and BUF alive. I don't know what tiebreakers BUF faces.

It's possible...

You keep warning about the Palmer situation and obviously pay close attention to the Bemgals. What is his problem? Is he not as good as advertised or has his injuries taken a severe toll on him? Just curious, I have only seen a handful of Cincy games this year.

Play Fitz the next 2 games, play Brohm against an Indy team that will be playing 2nd string players and giving Brohm more time to get use to the team and its players as well as the system. Play Nic Harris at OLB. Play Steve Johnson and James Hardy in the slot the last 2 weeks (They need the playing time and Reed is likely to be gone come seasons end). Play Shawn Nelson as much as possible. AND no more injuries.

People have to be realistic about Brohm he won't be able to start anytime soon. Give him some more time don't throw him to the wolves this season on a bad team with terrible offensive line. Let him get a few more weeks to get situated and practice more with the team. Then if you really want him to get his feet wet then start him on the last game against an Indy team that won't be playing the varsity and it gives Brohm more time with the team.

You keep warning about the Palmer situation and obviously pay close attention to the Bemgals. What is his problem? Is he not as good as advertised or has his injuries taken a severe toll on him? Just curious, I have only seen a handful of Cincy games this year.

IMO, his injuries have taken a toll. And he's an ultimate "timing" QB, who misses TJ Houze. Ocho is another story - but that's who he looks to now. He in the last five or so games, stares at one receiver. And hangs on to the ball far too long. His early season scoots kept drives alive - good for him there.

The game against MIN - six dump screens, etc. The network talking heads still yak about him as an offensive big noise - well, that's indicative of their usual lack of preparedness. Anybody that would care to look at his performances overall would see that he's no deep threat. I've watched his whole career. I can tell you exactly how to play him and beat him. Hints: his audibles are generally a run left. His late-game pass when behind is along the right sideline. And easy jump for a db. Other things, too.

Before season start, I posted that they should be in the market for a QB. Somebody replied, calling me a fool.

Palmer's a great guy, and a witty if not deep man who is a very kind, charitable individual. A pillar of the community, etc.

CIN's brain trust ( :wallbash: ) will ride him to the end of his contract, I suppose. Given the cost/hit, I don't think they could do otherwise.

Anyway - losses by them gives BUF a sniff yet.

IMO, his injuries have taken a toll. And he's an ultimate "timing" QB, who misses TJ Houze. Ocho is another story - but that's who he looks to now. He in the last five or so games, stares at one receiver. And hangs on to the ball far too long. His early season scoots kept drives alive - good for him there.

The game against MIN - six dump screens, etc. The network talking heads still yak about him as an offensive big noise - well, that's indicative of their usual lack of preparedness. Anybody that would care to look at his performances overall would see that he's no deep threat. I've watched his whole career. I can tell you exactly how to play him and beat him. Hints: his audibles are generally a run left. His late-game pass when behind is along the right sideline. And easy jump for a db. Other things, too.

Before season start, I posted that they should be in the market for a QB. Somebody replied, calling me a fool.

Palmer's a great guy, and a witty if not deep man who is a very kind, charitable individual. A pillar of the community, etc.

CIN's brain trust ( :wallbash: ) will ride him to the end of his contract, I suppose. Given the cost/hit, O don't think tthey could do otherwise.

Anyway - losses by them gives BUF a sniff yet.

Interesting perspective and I appreciate your response Cincy. I always liked Palmer and felt he has had a fairly dissapointing career, for many reasons. The statistics suggest his play had regressed a little but I chalked it up to a different game plan. It's too bad, he is a good ambassador for the NFL.

Interesting perspective and I appreciate your response Cincy. I always liked Palmer and felt he has had a fairly dissapointing career, for many reasons. The statistics suggest his play had regressed a little but I chalked it up to a different game plan. It's too bad, he is a good ambassador for the NFL.

Indeed he is.

There will always be controversy about Kimo von Oelhoffen's hit on the 1st play of the '05 Pit -Cin playoff game. To my mind, he rose up and went for Palmer's knee. I've reviewed the internet videos time and time again.

It was noticed - the next season, the NFL put in what was then known as the Palmer rule, since supplanted by the Brady Rule.

For the last 3 games I want to see us play our best players that give us the best chance to WIN. Screw next year. I want to win as may of these last 3 games as we can. It'll be a long enough off season to evaluate talent etc. I see no reason to start it any earlier than we have to.

Pats already have 8 wins so all we can do is tie them. We tie head-to-head (1-1). We tie division record (3-3). The Pats beat us on conference record (7-5 vs 6-6). Keep in mind the above numbers assume the Bills win out and the Pats* lose out. If it were a 3-way tie between Jets/Bills/Pats*, the Pats* win. 3-way with Pats*/Fins/Bills Miami wins (4-2 div record). A 4-way tie goes to the Dolphins on div record.

Before anyone flames me about being a homer, all I am doing is posting the Bills playoff possibilities, remote and non-existent as they are. I like to be positive but I know this was all highly unlikely.

PTR

Actually the bills can still beat the pats for the division. First, the dolphins, jets, and pats need to lose out and the bills need to win out. That leaves the pats and bills @8-8. the first tiebreaker is head to head...both 1-1, the 2nd tb is division record...both 3-3, third tb is common games. since the jets, and dolphins were a split, other common teams include houston, atlanta, new orleans, tampa, carolina, indy, tenn, and jacksonville. this also is a draw, leading us to tb #4 which is conference record which also would be a tie at 5-7. the 5th tb is "strength of victory". This is the winning percentage of teams you beat. The big difference in our wins will boil down to the bills wins over the colts and chiefs vs the pats wins over the titans and ravens. beating an undefeated colts team would be huge. If KC can win another game and the ravens and titans lose one or two, we could win tb#5. The way i see it, winning the division is the only way we could get in the playoffs.