Buffalo charges ahead into past

Beerball

Forest avenue rings a bell but a Orchard park boy like me never got in the city much. One thing I do miss about Buffalo is the Architecture-in Anchorage everything is post 64 earthquake.

You're right, it's on Forest Ave.

Like the Central Terminal, and maybe the AUD, it's Architecture is hard pressed to satisfy a modern need or use.

I was there when they tore down the Erie County Bank at Shelton Square and the Downtown Library. They were both beautiful, never to be seen again, buildings. It's especially troubling when we look at what took their place.

Forest avenue rings a bell but a Orchard park boy like me never got in the city much. One thing I do miss about Buffalo is the Architecture-in Anchorage everything is post 64 earthquake.

Yeah we just refer to it these days as 'The Richardson Complex' - hopefully preservation/restoration efforts will continue, despite the fact that NYS is on the verge of insolvency...

H. H. Richardson Complex

It's nice to see a growing preservation movement here - we used to just tear things down and replace them with corrugated steel boxes. Some of the 'lost treasures' of Buffalo were truly magnificent...

The Pierce Hotel

The Larkin Administration Building

The Fargo Mansion

(That's right, Wells Fargo AND American Express both have their roots right here in Buffalo...)

William G. Fargo

Yeah we just refer to it these days as 'The Richardson Complex' - hopefully preservation/restoration efforts will continue, despite the fact that NYS is on the verge of insolvency...

H. H. Richardson Complex

It's nice to see a growing preservation movement here - we used to just tear things down and replace them with corrugated steel boxes. Some of the 'lost treasures' of Buffalo were truly magnificent...

The Pierce Hotel

The Fargo Mansion

(That's right, Wells Fargo AND American Express both have their roots right here in Buffalo...)

William G. Fargo

Thanks for that. I never knew Well Fargo had any connection to the east at all.

Both Wells and Fargo are from WNY. Wells College, a womens college on one of the Finger Lakes was started by Wells. They were instrumental in the formation of American Express. Fargo wasa mayor of Buffalo.

The Berringer wine company (now owned by Foster's) in Napa, CA was founded by the Berringer Brothers. One made a fortune selling malt to the many breweries in Buffalo and the other learned winemaking at a vineyard in Napa. They joined up and bought the winery. (learned this on the tour)

Both Wells and Fargo are from WNY. Wells College, a womens college on one of the Finger Lakes was started by Wells. They were instrumental in the formation of American Express. Fargo wasa mayor of Buffalo.

I fixed the link to Mayor Fargo above - apparently I mistyped the original entry. Michael Rizzo's book, Through the Mayors Eyes, is a wonderful compilation of Buffalo history from a mayoral perspective, from Ebenezer Johnson thru Tony Masiello - I gave a copy to Councilman Kearns during his own mayoral campaign. You can pick it up at the 'Local Interest' section at Borders, or online...

Through The Mayor's Eyes

For a nice little WNY historical primer - and, for that matter, a 'who's who' of the late 19th/early 20th centuries - all one needs to do is take a stroll through Forest Lawn. They're all there - Letchworth, Carrier, Wm. Hengerer, Kleinhans, Millard Fillmore, etc., etc., including...

Fargo

Forest Lawn

I fixed the link to Mayor Fargo above - apparently I mistyped the original entry. Michael Rizzo's book, Through the Mayors Eyes, is a wonderful compilation of Buffalo history from a mayoral perspective, from Ebenezer Johnson thru Tony Masiello - I gave a copy to Councilman Kearns during his own mayoral campaign. You can pick it up at the 'Local Interest' section at Borders, or online...

Through The Mayor's Eyes

For a nice little WNY historical primer - and, for that matter, the late 19th/early 20th centuries - all one needs to do is take a stroll through Forest Lawn. They're all there - Letchworth, Carrier, Wm. Hengerer, Kleinhans, Millard Fillmore, etc., etc., including...

Fargo

Forest Lawn

Interesting read on the Mayors. I've had ancestors in Buffalo since 1834.

We'll to us UB Alumni, it's the Buff State Campus :lol: .

It's the old Psychiatric Center on Forest Avenue (or Forest Avenue for short -as in he was sent to Forest Avenue).

It is a spooky looking place. I used to cut through the grounds going to and from Buff State. A friend of mine used to work there when he was in high school. One day, a patient was having a bad day so he took it out on my friend who had his shirt ripped right off of him by the patient.

The grounds also used to have the same PSA type cops as Buff State who would drive around and give people tickets for perceived violations. One time these sort of cops gave me six tickets at once. I went to court and the judge asked the clerk what was going on and she told him that this over-ticketing was becoming more and more frequent. The judge dismissed all the tickets. They should have locked up some of the cops.

I always thought they could use the Psychiatric center for a film's external shot. It looks like Dracula's castle.

H. H. Richardson Complex

The Pierce Hotel

The Fargo Mansion

William G. Fargo

man...that Larkin building was a classic...sad

-and alll that time and effort to build that pierce Hotel and it burns down 3 yrs later...brutal