BROHM

Thank you, Conch. Why is this so obvious to some, while others can't seem to comprehend the notion?

The Bills made a grab at Brohm for a reason - my gut-feel is that they think the former Heisman candidate may be a diamond-in-the-rough. They need to see what they've got in him before the draft, in the unlikely possibility that Clausen or Bradford are 'on the board' when the Bills pick.

Agree. Can he be any worse than the two guys we have so far?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Peters was an undrafted free agent TE at the time, with no tape on him as a tackle yet. He was basically just an athlete.

Brohm was a high profile college QB and a high draft pick, and a big disappointment, that's why he ended up on a ps.

Really? Then why did they re-sign him to their practice squad after he cleared waivers, instead of just letting him walk? No chance that they saw some potential in the guy as a long-term development project, much like the Bills did with Peters?

Wow. Then it's settled, without seeing him play a down - Brohm sucks. Thanks for saving the Bills all that time, and for that inside look into the minds and decision-making process of the Green Bay staff. :wallbash:

The Rams had a backup that Vermeil would not use during the regular season. Even as Tony Banks continued to show he did not belong in the NFL this back-up was eating up the Ram defense in practice. Instead of letting the guy have a chance to show what he could do, he sat all year and the Rams and signed an emerging QB, Trent Green from Washington in the offseason. In the middle of preseason, Green blows out a knee and the Rams think their season just blew up in their face. This time they had no choice but to play Kurt Warner and the rest is history. Moral: Play Brohm and see if you have something.

Not long ago, there was a QB from down south that some reputable scouting organizations had going as the "top prospect" after his junior year. A year later, he was the last QB drafted in the 1st round--a "diamond in the rough", some said.

5 years later he was released for the NFL. JP Losman became a QB in the UFL..............and the rest is history.

This soundes eerily familiar, but I agree--who knows? He was essentially free. How do you play him now though? He will be destroyed if they put him out there. What would be the point?

Here I thought that that was a move that actually made sense. First QB on our roster that actually seemed intriguing since we had Doug Flutie. There is no way any QB was going to break into that line up in Green Bay, made sense that we took him. Green Bay also knew what we were up to, why do you think they tried to sign him? Crystal clear to me. Do you actually think we are going to take a QB in the first round? And if one more person says Tebow...We are not getting Tebow, Vick, Dungy, Schottenheimer, et al. I think we would be fools if we don't give BB a good look. He has to be better than what we got, maybe?

I would say we are very unlikely to take a QB any sooner than 3rd round...if that, unless someone slips big time. Brohm is a #1 pick talent that we got for pennies...he hasnt had a chance to play yet. Why on earth would we not give a number pick type talent a chance to play (who is making chump change compared to what a early First round QB would be making) before we waste a high pick on another?

In all honesty, if Brohm was in this years draft he would most likely be the #1 QB taken...and yet we got him for next to nothing.

If the FO is smart, they go OL in round 1, and then go defensive front 7 round 2 (or maybe even OL again if the right player is there)...no need to waste a first and second on a QB now that we have a guy of Brohms potential.

Doesnt mean Brohm will be great, but he has as much if not more upside than just about any QB in this years draft. Not to mention he has a cannon for an arm and was very accurate in college.

I agree with just about everything in this post. Especially, the part about the draft..We need to build strong OL/DL for the next 2 or 3 years or no QB will have a legitimate shot to lead this team..

Actually, they sometimes do just that - when they decide to keep 6 running backs (3 RBs & 3 FBs) and only 2 QBs on their active roster/depth chart, as Green Bay does. (The Bills, by contrast, carry only 2 RBs & 1 FB.)

Interesting comment you made on the practice-squad talent thing too - you may have forgotten that the Bills initially cut Jason Peters, then - after he cleared waivers - re-signed him...to their practice squad!!! :wallbash:

Your point is?

Really? Then why did they re-sign him to their practice squad after he cleared waivers, instead of just letting him walk? No chance that they saw some potential in the guy as a long-term development project, much like the Bills did with Peters?

Wow. Then it's settled, without seeing him play a down - Brohm sucks. Thanks for saving the Bills all that time, and for that inside look into the minds and decision-making process of the Green Bay staff. :wallbash:

You said it yourself: long term development project

So let's hurry up and play him so we can make a knee jerk snap decision to determine if he is the "franchise QB".

Brilliance.

Another "Really? Wow" post. I thought you were better than that. You guys need to stop stealing Seth Green material and start writing your own snaps. Mike Leach would never stoop to "Really? Wow" , Senator.

As for what they saw in Peters...not enough to sign him to the active roster. Peters then visited the Giants, who also declined to sign him. He was seen as a project and this isn't the old days when a guy like Bills coach Ray Brown could come into the league and be a backup on the Redskins for 5-7 years then emerge as a pro bowl player for the next 10 seasons.

It's so complicated for people to grasp because teams dont put players that are "#1 pick talent" on their practice squad- ever.

:wallbash:

All a lot of fans have is hope. And they buy it wholesale from this organization, especially the ones who don't know that PS players can be signed onto an active roster. The fact that Brohm wasn't signed until later in the season says that he's not a top-80 QB in the league. But because the Bills have such a stellar pro personnel department, they found him and they buy into more hype.

Actually, they sometimes do just that - when they decide to keep 6 running backs (3 RBs & 3 FBs) and only 2 QBs on their active roster/depth chart, as Green Bay does. (The Bills, by contrast, carry only 2 RBs & 1 FB.)

Interesting comment you made on the practice-squad talent thing too - you may have forgotten that the Bills initially cut Jason Peters, then - after he cleared waivers - re-signed him...to their practice squad!!! ;)

The Rams had a backup that Vermeil would not use during the regular season. Even as Tony Banks continued to show he did not belong in the NFL this back-up was eating up the Ram defense in practice. Instead of letting the guy have a chance to show what he could do, he sat all year and the Rams and signed an emerging QB, Trent Green from Washington in the offseason. In the middle of preseason, Green blows out a knee and the Rams think their season just blew up in their face. This time they had no choice but to play Kurt Warner and the rest is history. Moral: Play Brohm and see if you have something.

The exception brothers. Why stop at PS guys and include 6th round picks from 2000. You know, guys like Tom Brady. Because you can routinely find start OT's and QB's late in the draft and in the ranks of the undrafted. Happens all the time.

/sarcasm

The exception brothers. Why stop at PS guys and include 6th round picks from 2000. You know, guys like Tom Brady. Because you can routinely find start OT's and QB's late in the draft and in the ranks of the undrafted. Happens all the time.

/sarcasm

Apparently more often than you think...

Warren Moon

Kurt Warner

Jeff Garcia

Jake Delhomme

Tony Romo

Interesting fact I just tripped over...when last season's playoffs kicked off, the 12 playoff teams had 167 undrafted free agents on their roster...

Link - Undrafted players have huge role for playoff teams

Now I've posted this before, but maybe it bears reminding some folks of a few of the other more prominent NFL stars that were overlooked in the NFL draft...

Fred Jackson

Brian Moorman

Pat Williams

London Fletcher

Jason Peters

Adewale Ogunleye

James Harrison

Antonio Pierce

Bart Scott

Nick Harper

Quintin Mikell

Randall Gay

Willie Parker

Priest Holmes

Wes Welker

Rod Smith

Wayne Chrebet

Nate Washington

Antonio Gates

Jeff Saturday

Kris Deilman

Shaun O'Hara

Brian Waters

Adam Vinateri

Mike Vanderjagt

Joshua Cribbs

Mack Strong

Clifton Smith

etc.

So if you think that an occasional star doesn't escape notice by even the best of scouts, think again.

Thank you, Conch. Why is this so obvious to some, while others can't seem to comprehend the notion?

The Bills made a grab at Brohm for a reason - my gut-feel is that they think the former Heisman candidate may be a diamond-in-the-rough. They need to see what they've got in him before the draft, in the unlikely possibility that Clausen or Bradford are 'on the board' when the Bills pick.

My gut feeling is they grabbed Brohm because Fitzpatrick blows too hard to be counted on even as a backup QB. Did they not also feel that Trent Edwards was a diamond in the rough type? I think it is time the Bills stop looking for cheap players to be the next Tom Brady and draft Tim Tebow.

The guy has the personality that the Bills want. He has all the tools and can run the ball too. I don't think he will be ready to take every snap next year, but if there was ever a player that could revolutionize the game, it is him. Instead of jumping on the bandwagon late like we always do (see Tampa 2, west coast offense run by Trent, etc), perhaps we need to grow the balls to take a chance on a player that could forge a new paradigm of thought in the NFL.

Tebow is the OBVIOUS answer that the Bills need. Is it a risk to draft the guy? Certainly. He could flop. But I can assure you that this franchise is so screwed up that only a gamble that pays off will ever turn it around. The Bills need a freaking miracle, and signing other team's trash is not how we should expect it to be delivered.

So just shut up about Brohm. Perhaps the guy is a diamond in the rough. But I find it hard to understand why you would be more willing to take a risk on that guy than on a Heisman award winning national champion QB who has the kind of character that makes the Wheaties marketing department cream in their shorts.

You people keep saying "we need winning attitude?" Well why not draft the most decorated college QB ever who personally accepted responsibility for his entire team's performance and guaranteed that they would never play a sloppy game during his tenure again?

Maybe Brohm is the truth and Green Bay (the franchise willing to force Brett Favre into retirement to make way for another QB...which makes me wonder why you think they wouldn't do the same to Rodgers if Brohm showed potential) is just totally freaking stupid. Personally I don't see how it could hurt to draft Tebow and have 2 guys that could be all pros some day in the future. It seems like you increase your odds of hitting the QB lottery by purchasing more tickets, right?

For that matter I would not be opposed to drafting 2 QBs next year. Since your chances of actually picking impact players are slim on each pick, why not spend more picks to increase our chances of getting guys who can actually help the team? Yea, we have lots of needs, but when you draft only 1 or 2 guys who can help you anyway per draft, how many positions are you really filling? That's just my unorthodoxed thought about it.

The point being that this talk of Brohm is really just mind numbingly pointless. After watching this team for the past decade, how could you be willing to risk the future on a guy who didn't even beat out the 3rd string QB on a mediocre team? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

My gut feeling is they grabbed Brohm because Fitzpatrick blows too hard to be counted on even as a backup QB. Did they not also feel that Trent Edwards was a diamond in the rough type? I think it is time the Bills stop looking for cheap players to be the next Tom Brady and draft Tim Tebow.

The guy has the personality that the Bills want. He has all the tools and can run the ball too. I don't think he will be ready to take every snap next year, but if there was ever a player that could revolutionize the game, it is him. Instead of jumping on the bandwagon late like we always do (see Tampa 2, west coast offense run by Trent, etc), perhaps we need to grow the balls to take a chance on a player that could forge a new paradigm of thought in the NFL.

Tebow is the OBVIOUS answer that the Bills need. Is it a risk to draft the guy? Certainly. He could flop. But I can assure you that this franchise is so screwed up that only a gamble that pays off will ever turn it around. The Bills need a freaking miracle, and signing other team's trash is not how we should expect it to be delivered.

So just shut up about Brohm. Perhaps the guy is a diamond in the rough. But I find it hard to understand why you would be more willing to take a risk on that guy than on a Heisman award winning national champion QB who has the kind of character that makes the Wheaties marketing department cream in their shorts.

You people keep saying "we need winning attitude?" Well why not draft the most decorated college QB ever who personally accepted responsibility for his entire team's performance and guaranteed that they would never play a sloppy game during his tenure again?

Maybe Brohm is the truth and Green Bay (the franchise willing to force Brett Favre into retirement to make way for another QB...which makes me wonder why you think they wouldn't do the same to Rodgers if Brohm showed potential) is just totally freaking stupid. Personally I don't see how it could hurt to draft Tebow and have 2 guys that could be all pros some day in the future. It seems like you increase your odds of hitting the QB lottery by purchasing more tickets, right?

For that matter I would not be opposed to drafting 2 QBs next year. Since your chances of actually picking impact players are slim on each pick, why not spend more picks to increase our chances of getting guys who can actually help the team? Yea, we have lots of needs, but when you draft only 1 or 2 guys who can help you anyway per draft, how many positions are you really filling? That's just my unorthodoxed thought about it.

The point being that this talk of Brohm is really just mind numbingly pointless. After watching this team for the past decade, how could you be willing to risk the future on a guy who didn't even beat out the 3rd string QB on a mediocre team? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Tebow is not an NFL qb by all accounts. And he is a devout Christian to boot - there is something wrong with him. He likely walks like a duck, to use TO's kids' terminology. Keep him away from the Bills please.

Tebow is not an NFL qb by all accounts. And he is a devout Christian to boot - there is something wrong with him. He likely walks like a duck, to use TO's kids' terminology. Keep him away from the Bills please.

Did you seriously just call Tim Tebow gay because he's a Christian???

You said it yourself: long term development project

So let's hurry up and play him so we can make a knee jerk snap decision to determine if he is the "franchise QB".

Brilliance.

Thanks C - once again you've shown us the light, and the folly of our ways. :thumbsup:

Silly to think that getting a look at Brohm playing against New England (fighting for the AFC East), Atlanta (fighting to stay in the playoff hunt), and the undefeated Colts (playing for a perfect season) will tell us anything at all about this guy's ability.

Brohm is so good that they are keeping him under lock and key. They have him sequestered deep within the bowels of RW Stadium, with the ghost of Bill Walsh. Together they are concocting a new offense based on the Wing T, that will revolutionize the game.

It's either that, or it's clear to the Bills that Brohm isn't ready to start.

Did you seriously just call Tim Tebow gay because he's a Christian???

No its his claim to be Christian as an excuse for being the BMOC for four years and not having a girlfriend let alone having sex, when he goes to Florida where the hottest chicks in the world study. In 2010.

Seems odd.

Maybe he's a serial killer???

Maybe Brohm is the truth and Green Bay (the franchise willing to force Brett Favre into retirement to make way for another QB...which makes me wonder why you think they wouldn't do the same to Rodgers if Brohm showed potential) is just totally freaking stupid.

What? Rodges is easily a top 10 QB in this league, is young, and arguably top 5 already and only getting better. Yet you think because they forced Brett the flip flop Farve out that they would have forced Rodgers into retirement if Brohm showed "potential"?????? Geezus...the crap flows deep in here...

Only to you would that make sense...So you are saying that becuase GB didnt force Rodgers out after such a great showing in his first year as a starter that Brohm somehow is trash, esecially considering Rodgers is already a top 10 QB and argubaly top 5 in the league.

In fact, only 3 guys certainly ahead of him are Brees, Manning and Brady...outside of that you can argue if he is the 4th best to about the 6th best right now...but by your logic, because GB didnt force him into retirement as you just wrote, that must mean Brohm is a bust...

Brohm is so good that they are keeping him under lock and key. They have him sequestered deep within the bowels of RW Stadium, with the ghost of Bill Walsh. Together they are concocting a new offense based on the Wing T, that will revolutionize the game.

It's either that, or it's clear to the Bills that Brohm isn't ready to start.

Let me proffer another possibility, albeit convoluted and far-fetched...

Maybe, just maybe, it's because he was just signed four weeks ago, on November 19th (2 days after Jauron's firing), and might be trying to learn the names of his new teammates while assimilating the playbook.

I know, I know...that's just too far-fetched - please just forget I suggested it.