The Problem with Interim Coaches

sfbillsfan2

Glad the Bills won today but I think sometimes there is a fundamental conflict of interest with interim coaches. PF wants to be a head coach and it is in his best interest to win as many football games as possible during this "audition" time. But the Bills have a number of very big holes to fill in the draft/free agency and not a very good idea about how some players on the current roster could potentially fill those hole. QB is clearly a position of need but we really don't know if Brohm might be the answer. TO is most certainly gone after this season but we don't know anything about James Hardy. He been inactive every game since he has been added to the active roster. A lot of people on this board like Steve Johnson too but we really don't know about him either.

Because PF feels he has to win as many of these last few games as possible, we aren't going to get a game look at some players who might be able to fill holes next year. With so many holes to fill, it would be in the Bills best interest to audition some of these players to help clear up what their draft and free agency strategy should be for next year.

Ugly game but nice to have a win today.

If Brohm were better than Fitz, he'd be starting. Since he's not, I'd assume Brohm is NOT our future.

Sitting T.O. for Hardy is just silly, and nobobdy would ever do that. EVER....

Auditioning guys for 3-4 games does not give insight as to what we'll have for next year. This isn't Baseball. Back ups play in the NFL when there's an injury, when a starter is sucking it up, or when a team wants to rest it's starters for the playoffs, that's it.

If Brohm were better than Fitz, he'd be starting. Since he's not, I'd assume Brohm is NOT our future.

Sitting T.O. for Hardy is just silly, and nobobdy would ever do that. EVER....

Auditioning guys for 3-4 games does not give insight as to what we'll have for next year. This isn't Baseball. Back ups play in the NFL when there's an injury, when a starter is sucking it up, or when a team wants to rest it's starters for the playoffs, that's it.

What? Let me get this straight...you think because a second year QB who has never seen our offense and only been on this team a few weeks is not starting over Fitz he is NOT our future? Do you even realize how stupid that is? Fitz is READY to play, Brohm is NOT ready since he just got here for crying out loud and has literally ZERO games of experience as a 2nd year guy...thats WHY Fitz starts...

Yeah, lets take our #1 overall pick type talent QB who has had no time, ZERO, to work with our first team unit and hasnt had any time to really learn the offense yet and stick him behind an O Line completely decimated by injuries...this is why you are not a coach or scout...

I hope Brohm gets a shot to play in the couple games IF HE IS READY, but if he is not, then its not worth the risk of thorwing him in there if isnt ready yet...

I like what Perry's doing. Let's play to win. We can worry about next year next year. It might hurt our draft spot a little. We're still gonna have a high draft pick. Presently in spot #7. The more wins we have, the better chance we have of getting better free agents. If the money's the same, do you go to Cleveland or a team that finished 6-10 or 7-9 with a new (hopefully) winning coach? In the regular season, you try to win. In the preseason, you play young guys and rookies to see how they'll do. You owe it to your players and fans to try to win. Playing for draft position is for losers.

What? Let me get this straight...you think because a second year QB who has never seen our offense and only been on this team a few weeks is not starting over Fitz he is NOT our future? Do you even realize how stupid that is? Fitz is READY to play, Brohm is NOT ready since he just got here for crying out loud and has literally ZERO games of experience as a 2nd year guy...thats WHY Fitz starts...

Yeah, lets take our #1 overall pick type talent QB who has had no time, ZERO, to work with our first team unit and hasnt had any time to really learn the offense yet and stick him behind an O Line completely decimated by injuries...this is why you are not a coach or scout...

I hope Brohm gets a shot to play in the couple games IF HE IS READY, but if he is not, then its not worth the risk of thorwing him in there if isnt ready yet...

Is he getting first team reps?? Is he getting ANY reps?? You would think with the way Fitz is playing, that were he the answer to our QB woes, he would be. Hey, I hope I'm wrong and Brohm is the second coming of Joe Montana.

My point was you go with the guys that are getting it done now. Actually, you kind of proved my point, so I should thank you. Since you decided to insult me and say my post was stupid, I'll save that Thank You for someone more deserving... Hope the Brohm jersey pans out for you, though...

Glad the Bills won today but I think sometimes there is a fundamental conflict of interest with interim coaches. PF wants to be a head coach and it is in his best interest to win as many football games as possible during this "audition" time. But the Bills have a number of very big holes to fill in the draft/free agency and not a very good idea about how some players on the current roster could potentially fill those hole. QB is clearly a position of need but we really don't know if Brohm might be the answer. TO is most certainly gone after this season but we don't know anything about James Hardy. He been inactive every game since he has been added to the active roster. A lot of people on this board like Steve Johnson too but we really don't know about him either.

Because PF feels he has to win as many of these last few games as possible, we aren't going to get a game look at some players who might be able to fill holes next year. With so many holes to fill, it would be in the Bills best interest to audition some of these players to help clear up what their draft and free agency strategy should be for next year.

Why shouldn't PF show his stuff? We need a HC right? Hey maybe he's the equal or better than some of the name coaches fans are drooling over. We just don't know yet. Lets see what he can do and not worry about # 8 vs # 14 draft picks

The orders to put in Brohm and some of the other rooks will have to come from up top i.e RW or RB. You can't blame PF for playing for his job. All the same if the team was really interested in development for the future or trying out the talent, RW or RB have to make a call now.

The only problem is that Jauron wasn't fired soon enough this season. I like Perry Fewell and I like the way he coaches. That being said, that game yesterday was tough to watch and it didn't get me all warm and fuzzy about anyone (with the exception of Byrd) in this organization. This next game against the Patriots will tell me a lot about weather Perry is truly a viable candidate for head coach. I don't need to see what the backups can do, I need to see the starters beat the Patriots and not with dumb luck, but looking pretty good doing it. If someone wants to start, they can earn the job. It shouldn't be that hard to do on this team.

Is he getting first team reps?? Is he getting ANY reps?? You would think with the way Fitz is playing, that were he the answer to our QB woes, he would be. Hey, I hope I'm wrong and Brohm is the second coming of Joe Montana.

My point was you go with the guys that are getting it done now. Actually, you kind of proved my point, so I should thank you. Since you decided to insult me and say my post was stupid, I'll save that Thank You for someone more deserving... Hope the Brohm jersey pans out for you, though...

I didnt say you were stupid, I asked you do you realize how stupid it is to say that because Fitz is starting over Brohm that its some kind of indication that the FO thinks Fitz is a better QB. Rather you realize it or not, you dont just throw a QB out there who doesnt know the offense. Have you ever seen a playbook? Its rediculous to think a 2nd year QB could somehow digest a playbook he has previously never seen and has only had a few weeks to study and be ready to play...in fact, its impossible.

The ONLY reason Brohm isnt playing is because of that...not because of some theory that the staff somehow sees Fitz as a better QB...

Teams don't bring in QBs midway through the season and put them at 1 or 2 in the depth chart unless there are catastrophic injuries. It just isn't done. If Brohm were a 10 year vet with 50 starts, you might have an argument. He isn't, so you don't.

I'm not going to sit here and try to pass Brohm off as the savior of the franchise, but realistically, he's only been with the team a few weeks. To be fair to the guy, you can't expect him to be ready in that short of a time frame. I don't think it says anything about him that he hasn't played yet or even if he doesn't play this season.

Have you ever considered that there are more players than just Brohm to evaluate? Like the entire starting lineup? These players need to prove that they are worth keeping. For whatever reason Dick Jauron made the entire team look bad. Now under Perry Fewell they are playing better. Not only that, certain players like Bryan Scott and Poz are starting to emerge. Whoever is in charge of the Bills next will use these games to evaluate the talent level we have.

That is why winning now is important. The kneejerk move is to just clean house to get rid of the stink of Jauron. But we could be losing players that could help us win down the road. I think Perry Fewell is showing the Bills do indeed have some players with talent that are worth keeping.

PTR

Rather you realize it or not, you dont just throw a QB out there who doesnt know the offense. Have you ever seen a playbook? Its rediculous to think a 2nd year QB could somehow digest a playbook he has previously never seen and has only had a few weeks to study and be ready to play...in fact, its impossible.

Yet you want to run Edwards out of town because he couldn't automatically walk on the field with less than 1 1/2 years worth of starts and succeed behind a brutally bad OLine and with a brand new, 1 week old O-coordinator?

It is in fact, impossible.

The orders to put in Brohm and some of the other rooks will have to come from up top i.e RW or RB. You can't blame PF for playing for his job. All the same if the team was really interested in development for the future or trying out the talent, RW or RB have to make a call now.

Seems like Tenassee did this and got hot after Vince Young was placed into the lineup. Why not Nrohm?

The only problem is that Jauron wasn't fired soon enough this season. I like Perry Fewell and I like the way he coaches. That being said, that game yesterday was tough to watch and it didn't get me all warm and fuzzy about anyone (with the exception of Byrd) in this organization. This next game against the Patriots will tell me a lot about weather Perry is truly a viable candidate for head coach. I don't need to see what the backups can do, I need to see the starters beat the Patriots and not with dumb luck, but looking pretty good doing it. If someone wants to start, they can earn the job. It shouldn't be that hard to do on this team.

I like Perry too and the way the team plays for him. But we do know a few things for certain about the Bills - they are not making the playoffs this year, TE and RF are not franchise quarterbacks, TO will not be here next year, and who we draft next year will be incredibly important. So do we spend a high draft pick on a QB or do we wait to see what Brohm can do. Is there enough knowledge about and confidence in the young receivers we have (i.e., Johnson and Hardy) so that we don't use free agent money or the draft to bring in somebody else. I don't think OTAs and the off season can reasonably answer these questions or our starting left tackle would be Langston Walker.

This next game against the Patriots will tell me a lot about weather Perry is truly a viable candidate for head coach. I don't need to see what the backups can do, I need to see the starters beat the Patriots and not with dumb luck, but looking pretty good doing it. If someone wants to start, they can earn the job. It shouldn't be that hard to do on this team.

Can't get the Jauron games back.. Byrd is the man. Run the ball and stomp the Patriots with the Fast Freddie and the Beast. Pound Welker endlessly with no mercy and ring his bell on special teams. After being manhandled by the Jets two weeks ago they need to get mean. real mean. They better have it in em or they will get beat down and rightfully so. Getting spanked over the last decade by the prettiest little QB golden boy hurts bad. Earning respect could start with the last three games. The Bills need to get that swagger back. Byrd has that swagger. He is a home run hitting assassin. :wallbash:

I didnt say you were stupid, I asked you do you realize how stupid it is to say that because Fitz is starting over Brohm that its some kind of indication that the FO thinks Fitz is a better QB. Rather you realize it or not, you dont just throw a QB out there who doesnt know the offense. Have you ever seen a playbook? Its rediculous to think a 2nd year QB could somehow digest a playbook he has previously never seen and has only had a few weeks to study and be ready to play...in fact, its impossible.

The ONLY reason Brohm isnt playing is because of that...not because of some theory that the staff somehow sees Fitz as a better QB...

Fair enough, I took your post wrong, my apologies.

I don't think it's that far of a reach to let Brohm start. OC's shorten up playbooks all of the time. I distinctly recall hearing we run a very "vanilla" offense to begin with, so I'm sure it wouldn't take longer than say, 3 weeks, for Brohm to get the gist of things and show what he has.

I'm actually against this, like I already said, and mostly agree with you that it wouldn't put us in the best position to win now, which is what I think we should be doing.

I also agree that this shouldn't show what Brohm's potential is going into next year. I was wrong for saying that.

Yet you want to run Edwards out of town because he couldn't automatically walk on the field with less than 1 1/2 years worth of starts and succeed behind a brutally bad OLine and with a brand new, 1 week old O-coordinator?

It is in fact, impossible.

Hahahahah 24 starts>>>>>> than 0 starts.