Interesting report about resting starters for playoffs

Just Jack

On NBC before the Sunday night game they gave a short report about how teams performed when resting starters before playoffs. Teams that rested, usually got beat at some point before the SB. Teams that did not rest starters, usually made it to the SB and won.

So I don't think we'll see Indy resting starters for the last home game, since they were one of the teams that tried it both ways in these past few years.

If the Colts are 15-0 going into our game, not only will they play starters but the game will be flexed to Sunday night. Prime time, baby. :thumbsup:

PTR

If the Flex Rules are still the same, the latest we would find out is the Tuesday before. One thing that may keep it from being moved....

Week 17 start time changes could be decided on 6 days notice to ensure a game with playoff implications.

Since the Colts are already in, they may not move it, I hope. I thought CBS/Fox could "protect" games, ie not have them moved, but can't find verification for that.

Found this blurb on another non-nfl site...

- FOX and CBS can lock one game each week up to week 17 (no locked games allowed).

- There is a max to how many games you can play on Prime Time. Three teams can play a maximum 6 games in prime time (NBC, ESPN, NFL Network). Everyone else can play up to 5 prime time games.

- You can only flex NBC games and the max games you play on NBC is 4 games.

Indy already has 5 Prime Time games, three on NBC, hopefully they won't get #6.

Peyton Manning and the Colts will bring in a larger TV audience than Brees and the Saints would. If it does come down to that, and there are no other playoff implications, the Colts will get the primetime slot.

On NBC before the Sunday night game they gave a short report about how teams performed when resting starters before playoffs. Teams that rested, usually got beat at some point before the SB. Teams that did not rest starters, usually made it to the SB and won.

So I don't think we'll see Indy resting starters for the last home game, since they were one of the teams that tried it both ways in these past few years.

The Colts are probably going to wimp out because that's what they do. It makes the Saints so much easier for me to root for.

I hate when people bring up NE's SB loss but neglect all the times Indy has choked their 1st playoff game after taking 3 weeks off - as if championship/undefeated is an either/or.

Dungy on the radio Friday - brought up Reich against Houston. He of course neglected to mention that Reich was 3-0 in games that mattered in '89 and won a huge game vs. Miami with the division on the line in '90. The idea that he was ready to play the Oilers because he played garbage minutes vs. the Redskins/Lions in 90/91 season finales is absurd - and only partially because Gail Gilbert played in those games.

The Colts are probably going to wimp out because that's what they do. It makes the Saints so much easier for me to root for.

I hate when people bring up NE's SB loss but neglect all the times Indy has choked their 1st playoff game after taking 3 weeks off - as if championship/undefeated is an either/or.

Dungy on the radio Friday - brought up Reich against Houston. He of course neglected to mention that Reich was 3-0 in games that mattered in '89 and won a huge game vs. Miami with the division on the line in '90. The idea that he was ready to play the Oilers because he played garbage minutes vs. the Redskins/Lions in 90/91 season finales is absurd - and only partially because Gail Gilbert played in those games.

If any team should be aware of the dangers of taking a month off before the playoffs, it should be the Colts. It'll be a complete waste of a great season if they start slacking off now, just to lose their first playoff came because they look like they're still sleeping.

IMO, keep the starters playing. The only way I sit them is if they walk into a buzzsaw of a game.

If any team should be aware of the dangers of taking a month off before the playoffs, it should be the Colts. It'll be a complete waste of a great season if they start slacking off now, just to lose their first playoff came because they look like they're still sleeping.

IMO, keep the starters playing. The only way I sit them is if they walk into a buzzsaw of a game.

That was part of what they mentioned. One year they rested and got bounced by the Pats* in the first round. The year they won the SB, they did not rest.

Peyton Manning and the Colts will bring in a larger TV audience than Brees and the Saints would. If it does come down to that, and there are no other playoff implications, the Colts will get the primetime slot.

Interesting opinion, but I am not sure where you are getting your facts from.

Are you citing actual ratings, or just an opinion that America loves Peyton more than Brees?

Interesting opinion, but I am not sure where you are getting your facts from.

Are you citing actual ratings, or just an opinion that America loves Peyton more than Brees?

I'm not sure where this comes from, either. I think that the Saints would bring in more of an audience than the Colts right now. The Saints are more of a darling than Indy, IMO...especially with many people rooting for the continued revitalization of the city of New Orleans. Indy does this almost every year, so it's not new. New Orleans doing this is much more of a story.