For everyone who asks "Is the game online?"

PromoTheRobot

Congress gets invloved in sports "piracy"

Not a lot of info in this article, other than Congress is getting involved. (You know who they will side with.) I think we all know it was too good to last. What I say is why aren't more sports leagues a) making their games available online, and b) not charge an arm and a leg for the privilege? The NHL wants almost as much as the charge for Center Ice for their online service. The NFL only offers it to viewers outside North America. At least Major League Baseball has a somewhat reasonable package.

PTR

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787

Not a lot of info in this article, other than Congress is getting involved. (You know who they will side with.) I think we all know it was too good to last. What I say is why aren't more sports leagues a) making their games available online, and b) not charge an arm and a leg for the privilege? The NHL wants almost as much as the charge for Center Ice for their online service. The NFL only offers it to viewers outside North America. At least Major League Baseball has a somewhat reasonable package.

PTR

Awwww, :ph34r:

I watched the Sabres game last night online and was just thinking to myself how much better the streams were getting.

Awwww, :ph34r:

I watched the Sabres game last night online and was just thinking to myself how much better the streams were getting.

I watched the 2nd half of the Toronto Bills game on a stream out of Australia. For once I didn't mind the endless TV timeouts as the commercials were ones I hadn't seen before. And the stream quality was quite good. Not sure how they would propose to charge people for watching or block foreign originating streams. But knowing the US Govt and the greedy !@#$s in the NFL FO I'm sure they will burn out their brains trying to come up with a way.

You already have to pay the NFL if you want the radio broadcasts for your team, so I wouldn't think it would be too God-awful hard to do this for the video feed.

I would think DTV would have a problem with this, however. Since they're in cahoots with the NFL on the Sunday Ticket, would they lose some business if the video streams were offered online by nfl.com?

I watched the 2nd half of the Toronto Bills game on a stream out of Australia. For once I didn't mind the endless TV timeouts as the commercials were ones I hadn't seen before. And the stream quality was quite good. Not sure how they would propose to charge people for watching or block foreign originating streams. But knowing the US Govt and the greedy !@#$s in the NFL FO I'm sure they will burn out their brains trying to come up with a way.

I watched that one, too. It was a great feed. Had to reload every now and then. It was on the screen as "FoxSports", but all the commercials were "in Australian".

Not sure how they would prevent receiving that.

This is actually something Congress should be involved in. Making laws to protect property is one of the few things they are supposed to be doing.

Yeah but it's funny how they generally only seem to care when it is a large, wealthy organization having it's property rights infringed on.

You already have to pay the NFL if you want the radio broadcasts for your team, so I wouldn't think it would be too God-awful hard to do this for the video feed.

I would think DTV would have a problem with this, however. Since they're in cahoots with the NFL on the Sunday Ticket, would they lose some business if the video streams were offered online by nfl.com?

I would guess the DTV deal is what stands in the way of offering on-line broadcasts. I would think that as soon as the NFL decides they can get a lot more money offering the games on-line, they will let the DTV deal expire.

PTR

Yawn...yet another selective "Truth Commission" from one side of the aisle...they wouldn't dare haul in the NBA, even after that "60 Minutes" piece this past Sunday. :ph34r:

Yeah but it's funny how they generally only seem to care when it is a large, wealthy organization having it's property rights infringed on.

No, it's just the only time it makes headlines that you care about reading. Courts are full of property rights cases. This is a special situation since it's such a large, wide-spread problem that is very hard to control. It deserves the attention they are giving it.

I watched that one, too. It was a great feed. Had to reload every now and then. It was on the screen as "FoxSports", but all the commercials were "in Australian".

Not sure how they would prevent receiving that.

True. If the feed is coming from outside the US's jurisdiction, there is nothing they can do besides kindly request the originating county's govt to take it down (and some govt just don't care and have bigger worries). This is why many torrent sites have not been removed.