Phil Hendrie - Radio Genius

Chef Jim

One of the AM stations out of Denver used to run his show in the evenings. I used to LOVE when he would get callers who fell for his "schtick" and would be outraged. Classic stuff that really demonstrated the dumbing down of America.

I liked how he would switch characters so quickly you almost wondered if there really was two people in the studio.

One of the AM stations out of Denver used to run his show in the evenings. I used to LOVE when he would get callers who fell for his "schtick" and would be outraged. Classic stuff that really demonstrated the dumbing down of America.

I liked how he would switch characters so quickly you almost wondered if there really was two people in the studio.

I always wondered how he pulled that off. That's why I posted this, I just stumbled upon it by accident. It's really pretty simple using an old fashioned telephone. I loved the Jingle for Ted's of Beverly Hills. "Come on down, we want to put our meat in your mouth" Actually that reminds me of a meat company in LA, Culver City Meats. Their tag line which was on all their trucks was:

Culver City Meats

You can't beat our meat.

:ph34r:

I always wondered how he pulled that off. That's why I posted this, I just stumbled upon it by accident. It's really pretty simple using an old fashioned telephone.

I talked to a co-worker who runs the college radio station here and he said, most likely what he does is either:

A. Like you said, he uses a old fashioned land line telephone and alternates between phone and studio mic.

or

B. He has a second mic in studio that has an "auto-tune" type instrumant on it that will change his voice to the character's. But during the arguing segments, he would have to have the mics very close so he could alternate between them.

I talked to a co-worker who runs the college radio station here and he said, most likely what he does is either:

A. Like you said, he uses a old fashioned land line telephone and alternates between phone and studio mic.

or

B. He has a second mic in studio that has an "auto-tune" type instrumant on it that will change his voice to the character's. But during the arguing segments, he would have to have the mics very close so he could alternate between them.

Well as you can see from the video it's A and every time he switches he has to turn his studio Mike off so not to pick up the voice of the "person" on the phone. It's amazing how quickly he can go back and forth between the two.