Ross Tucker piece - very critical of the Marv/Jauron regime

dave mcbride

Again, I think the takeaway is why waste two years' worth of PS time on a guy who is unlikely to sniff a roster spot? I think he says that Bills should have cut ties with Esposito in 2004 or 2005.

The paragraph about Esposito is pretty ambiguous.

In one sentence, "If he really wasn't worthy of coming to training camp the next year, that is a terrible indictment of their ability to develop players and a clear mis-use of the practice squad" he criticizes the team's inability to develop players and also there ability to evaluate whether a player should be developed.

Either way, it is a slam at the Bills decision makers at that time.

You could look at it the other way - what was the previous regime thinking wasting a PS spot for a player who wouldn't sniff the NFL roster? Considering Esposito's career, looks like the Golden Boys made the right move.

I see it more as a slam of TD/MM.

I don't know what to make of it. Ross Tucker is basically saying that cutting someone on a practice squad is the wrong decision. Maybe the Bills realized he sucked and he wasn't getting any better. At some point, you have to make a call on a player---either continue with them or send them packing. I don't understand what he was expecting them to do...keep him on the PS his whole career(I know its not even possible, but still)?

I don't know what to make of it. Ross Tucker is basically saying that cutting someone on a practice squad is the wrong decision. Maybe the Bills realized he sucked and he wasn't getting any better. At some point, you have to make a call on a player---either continue with them or send them packing. I don't understand what he was expecting them to do...keep him on the PS his whole career(I know its not even possible, but still)?

I think his point is that somewhere Bills screwed up in wasting 2 yrs worth of PS space on a guy who was never even invited for his third training camp. So you can look at it as an indictment of MM/TD or DJ/ML. History now tells us that it was MM/TD's mistake because they wasted the spot on a player who had no potential to be in the NFL.