FYI Sirius Radio Stock shareholders

taterhill

I know this is a stupid question but how does a person get involved in getting stock?

124129[/snapback]

That's probably not the best first question to ask. Go pick up "investing for Dummies" first. No one should even consider investing without basic knowledge of the risks/rewards of the endeavor.

If you have questions, PM me.

SIRI is trading at  5.60...up over 18% since the market closed in after hours trading..... nice...

Ex-Viacom exec Mel Karmazin named Sirius chief

124120[/snapback]

I wanted to post something yesterday, but didn't want to jinx myself. Then I watched earlier today as Jonathan Jacoby from Bank of America downgraded the stock on some short-sighted concerns, and as a result, the stock fell 23 cents (but I was still up overall). Then I get on the net this evening and read the stuff about Karmazin joining and the stock going up as much as $5.75 in after-hours trading. I especially liked this part, that was a direct :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: to Jacoby:

'Karmazin said he planned to buy an undisclosed amount of Sirius shares. "This company is heading in the right direction. We're going to reduce the subscriber acquisition costs, work more with the automotive industry, generate more revenue and generate a ton of profits," Karmazin said.'

IMHO Sirius is banking WAY too much on one guy for it to turn a profit - Stern...

Sure, there will be tons a new subscribers once Stern goes there, but no where near the numbers they hope.

Stern will be so far over the edge that he won't be able to be listened to at work AT ALL, in the car with kids or even the wife, plus you will need to buy a special radio and pay at least $13.00 a month..

On top of that Stern is turning more into a activist than his roots : AN ENTERTAINER.

I can't listen to the guy anymore....The last show I tuned into was about 4 months ago..He was telling listeners that the FCC was like the Nazi party and only sign up on his site to vote if your voting for Kerry, don't bother to sign up if your voting for Bush because your STUPID...Blah blah blah...I just couldn't stand it anymore.

IMHO Sirius is banking WAY too much on one guy for it to turn a profit - Stern...

Sure, there will be tons a new subscribers once Stern goes there, but no where near the numbers they hope.

Stern will be so far over the edge that he won't be able to be listened to at work AT ALL, in the car with kids or even the wife, plus you will need to buy a special radio and pay at least $13.00 a month..

On top of that Stern is turning more into a activist than his roots : AN ENTERTAINER.

I can't listen to the guy anymore....The last show I tuned into was about 4 months ago..He was telling listeners that the FCC was like the Nazi party and only sign up on his site to vote if your voting for Kerry, don't bother to sign up if your voting for Bush because your STUPID...Blah blah blah...I just couldn't stand it anymore.

124190[/snapback]

Their balance sheet was a disaster the last time I looked. Something like a million and a quarter net assets, a million-plus negative in retained earnings, and signed Bozo to a 5-year, $500 million deal.

GM, who made OnStar the industry leader in that market, backs XM. I tend to consider Sirius to be a get in-take a 20% rise-then get out stock.

IRRC, Mercedes-Benz hawks Sirius, but they obviously are not a mass-market player in the US.

I know this is a stupid question but how does a person get involved in getting stock?

124129[/snapback]

Like anything new it can be intimidating to start. It's not all that hard.

1. Decide how much service and advice you want from a broker (the firm that buys and sells stock on your behalf). If you want to do your own research, you want a discount broker. If you want someone to give you advice about what to buy and when to sell, you want a full service broker. You will pay a much higher fee every time you buy or sell stock with a full service broker, $35 and up. If you're trading $10,000 worth of stock at a time, the higher fee is not onerous at all, especially if the broker is giving good advice. You'll make the money back quickly. If you're trading $500 worth of stock, the fee is costing you 7% of the value of the stock when you buy and the same dollar amount again when you sell, whether you made or lost money on that company. You'd have to get consistently very good returns to make money under those conditions. A discount broker will charge a fee in the $10-$20 range. If you can be very disciplined about putting money aside there are even a couple brokers like sharebuilder.com who let you start with very small amounts of money and very modest fees, but there are some restrictions youo have to be comfortable with.

2. Shop for a broker who fits your investing style. You can probably find a full service broker in the yellow pages of your phone book. You can find al kinds of discount brokers on the internet. I use TD Waterhouse. They provide a modest amount of service, but I generally do my own research. A couple other names are Ameritrade and ScottTrade. They all have websites. You can also do a search on google or msn for stockbrokers.

3. Once you have picked out a broker, the website can guide you though the application process if you apply online. If you apply on line, you may have to send a check where instructed to get your account started, if you use an online discount broker. Depending on the broker, there is probably a minimum amount you'll have to meet, $500 or $1,000, unless you do something like sharebuilder. You can add to the account as often as you want by continuing to send checks to the broker.

4. Once your account is funded, you can start buying stock. If you do your own research, and your broker doesn't have what you like, there are some decent free sites you can use. Msn.com has a financial page with some decent tools. Every company has a stock symbol. You type in the symbol and you can get company reports, financial results, stock charts, company news etc.

5. Your risk tolerance will determine your investing style. In general you'll want to diversify to some extent. If you're starting with $500 you won't be able to diversify very much at first. Pick stocks with relatively little volatility and predictable earnings. It's easy to for the stock of a very small company lose 50% %70, even 90% or more of it's value if that company runs into a string of bad news. As your portfolio grows, you'll eventually want to have maybe 10 or so stocks in it. To many becomes hard to manage. Too few doesn't give enough diversity. You'll want to have the stock of different kinds of companies; choosing from among tech stocks, energy stocks, precious metal stocks, durable goods (like cars), consumer products, real estate etc. Maybe eventually you'll want a small portion of your portfolio to be in high risk high reward stocks, but that would be up to you. You can sometimes make your investment back fivefold or even tenfold or more. You can also lose it all in those stocks.

Right now, I'm overweight in energy, gold, and mortgage REITs. The price of oil is dropping though so I may nave to readjust soon.

I bought it at $3.68... right now its at 5.10... it was up at 5.40 when the market opened this morning.

125061[/snapback]

I got it at 2.34 and majority at 2.44 based on hearing what Jack in Syracuse and others posted in a thread about the NFL package in August, I was aonly expecting a modest rise and simple "hold it " stock to watch and get out when I found something better. Boy was I surprised......my big question is should I bail now, or stick with it, I'm in the commodity trading industry where we have a saying, "Bulls can win, Bears can win, but Pigs always get slaughtered"...

I got it at 2.34 and majority at 2.44 based on hearing what Jack in Syracuse and others posted in a thread about the NFL package in August, I was aonly expecting a modest rise and simple "hold it " stock to watch and get out when I found something better. Boy was I surprised......my big question is should I bail now, or stick with it, I'm in the commodity trading industry where we have a saying, "Bulls can win, Bears can win, but Pigs always get slaughtered"...

125097[/snapback]

Just put a stop-loss on it of like $5.00 or so... that way, you really can't lose.

Just put a stop-loss on it of like $5.00 or so... that way, you really can't lose.

125099[/snapback]

too close, those stops get picked off too easy, look at its chart, it retraces quite a bit, better to stay under the emotional 5 and go to 4.90 or so (but remember, I'm a pig, I know i'm gonna get slaughtered....)

I'm in it for the long haul. With the NBA, NFL, Howard Stern, and now Karmazin, whose presence really legitimizes satellite radio and Sirius in particular, the stock should easily get to where XM is (mid-$30's), if not surpass it once subscribers start signing up in droves, more automobile companies start installing it, and they come out with comparable products to XM (portable "walkman" type units). I don't see it tanking, despite the balance sheet, ratios, etc. Those will straighten themselves out in time.

On a related topic, Canadian Satellite Radio (CSR) and General Motors of Canada Limited (GMCL) have entered into a 13-year distribution agreement. GM of Canada will factory-install CSR receivers in more than 50 vehicle models beginning in the 2006 model year.

"Based on the strong market response to XM Satellite Radio (XM) in the United States, GMCL looks forward to the Canadian partnership with CSR.

Canadian Satellite Radio was formed to provide subscription-based satellite radio service to Canadians in both English and French. Canadian Satellite Radio is a Canadian-owned and controlled company in partnership with XM Satellite Radio of the United States.

http://www.northpeel.com/br/wheels/story/2...p-2706675c.html