Remember When Aiken Stunk as a WR?

Rebuilding does not begin with DB's, WR's, RB's, and LB's. Yet Buffalo spent too many picks from the 06-08 drafts on those positions. Their only 1st-3rd round picks on lineman were guys who don't dress anymore or rarely play. And then they traded their best OLineman for rookies.

Parcells, Belichick, the Giants, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and successful teams build from the inside out. Buffalo's reliance on the opposite is what makes them mediocre.

Aiken also looks good because he's got an excellent QB who's protected well throwing him the ball. Buffalo hasn't had that since the mid nineties.

Rebuilding does not begin with DB's, WR's, RB's, and LB's. Yet Buffalo spent too many picks from the 06-08 drafts on those positions. Their only 1st-3rd round picks on lineman were guys who don't dress anymore or rarely play. And then they traded their best OLineman for rookies.

Parcells, Belichick, the Giants, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and successful teams build from the inside out. Buffalo's reliance on the opposite is what makes them mediocre.

Aiken also looks good because he's got an excellent QB who's protected well throwing him the ball. Buffalo hasn't had that since the mid nineties.

I think the Bills mindset was to build the line through free agency, hence the signing of Walker and Dockery. Obviously it didn't work out, which set their plans back. The successful teams build both lines through the draft, then use free agency to solidify or plug holes. Above all else, there has to be a good program in place to build those lines, with a combination of good talent evaluation and coaching. Modrak and Guy have not made good choices with talent, and the coaching has been mediocre. We've seen the result.

Awesome play. Bad teams make bad players. Good teams make good players. See the 2000-2009 Patriots vs. the 2000-2009 Bills.

Its true...when was the last time a Patriot player left and did even half as good as when he was with the Pats...when you have lots of good players in a good great system, marginal players suddenly look a lot better than they really are...see Branch, Deion

Welker was clearly good for the Dolphins. I couldn't believe it when the Dolphins let the guy go as a RFA.

I remember saying, in a thread, back then, that Patriots getting Welker that year, was the best pick up by any team that year...it was met with loads of sarcastic replies...even I never foresaw Welker as being as productive as he has been...I saw him as a second-coming of Steve Tasker...

I would say the early nineties BV.

Part of Aiken's problem in Buffalo was political. He wasn't a high draft pick so he wasn't given a shot. I'm always amazed at how teams will overlook players but when your front office picks a player high, they don't want to be shown up by some UDFA.

PTR

"Remember When Aiken Stunk as a WR?"

No I don't actually. I always remember him being awesome and playing well. I also remember moron Bills coaches never seeing the talent that Aiken had and giving him a starting spot. That guy played great at every chance he got, and I always thought he should have been starting for us instead of Josh Reed.

Welker was clearly good for the Dolphins. I couldn't believe it when the Dolphins let the guy go as a RFA.

Well, it wasn't quite that simple. The Patriots signed Welker to a ridiculous contract that they never planned on honoring. The Dolphins were stuck between a rock & a hard place-If they matched the contract, they'd be overpaying Welker. If they didn't match, they'd lose him for no compensation since Welker was originally a free agent (actually an undrafted free agent who signed with SD & got cut in preseason then signed with the Dolphins). So the Dolphins felt the only thing to do was negotiate a trade so they'd get something rather than nothing for Welker when he went to the Pats. Since the trade was made, the Dolphins had no more rights to Welker. The patriots, who now owned Welker, tore up the ridiculous contract & signed him to a more reasonable one. It is one of those loopholes within the rules that the Patriots found a way around.