UB Coach Turner Gill reportedly will interview...

I sure hope he gets the job and has much success. I am a big fan of Turner Gill and I hope he continues to build up that Kansas program, to eventually compete for a championship. I really wish Turner Gill well and I will be rooting for him!

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1613427.html

Gill to interview at Kansas

University of Buffalo coach Turner Gill is expected to interview today for the open Kansas job vacated by Mark Mangino on Thursday, Tony Barnhardt said on CBS’ pregame show for the SEC championship game.

Gill, 47, has a 20-30 record in four years at Buffalo, but that record could be seen as misleading. The Bulls had no football success to speak of until Gill led them to the 2008 Mid-American Conference championship and the school’s first bowl game in 50 years.

On paper, Gill would make sense as the choice for KU. He played quarterback at Nebraska from 1980-83 and coached there as an assistant from 1992-2004. He was known as one of the Cornhuskers’ top recruiters, particularly in Texas, where he grew up in Fort Worth. The Jayhawks would appear to need a coach with connections to Texas; KU has 33 players from the Lone Star state compared to 24 from Kansas. Also adding to the convenience factor is that Gill’s daughter, Jordan, is a student at KU.

Phone calls to the homes of Gill and Buffalo athletic director Warde Manuel were not answered. Kansas associate athletic director for external relations Jim Marchiony said that KU would not confirm or deny any rumors during the search for the next coach.

I sure hope he gets the job and has much success. I am a big fan of Turner Gill and I hope he continues to build up that Kansas program, to eventually compete for a championship. I really wish Turner Gill well and I will be rooting for him!

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1613427.html

Gill to interview at Kansas

University of Buffalo coach Turner Gill is expected to interview today for the open Kansas job vacated by Mark Mangino on Thursday, Tony Barnhardt said on CBS’ pregame show for the SEC championship game.

Gill, 47, has a 20-30 record in four years at Buffalo, but that record could be seen as misleading. The Bulls had no football success to speak of until Gill led them to the 2008 Mid-American Conference championship and the school’s first bowl game in 50 years.

On paper, Gill would make sense as the choice for KU. He played quarterback at Nebraska from 1980-83 and coached there as an assistant from 1992-2004. He was known as one of the Cornhuskers’ top recruiters, particularly in Texas, where he grew up in Fort Worth. The Jayhawks would appear to need a coach with connections to Texas; KU has 33 players from the Lone Star state compared to 24 from Kansas. Also adding to the convenience factor is that Gill’s daughter, Jordan, is a student at KU.

Phone calls to the homes of Gill and Buffalo athletic director Warde Manuel were not answered. Kansas associate athletic director for external relations Jim Marchiony said that KU would not confirm or deny any rumors during the search for the next coach.

He would be the perfect hire for them. RUMOR has it the reason he didn't get the Nebraska job is his wife is white. Seems some of the Nebraska hicks would have an issue with that.

Anyway, my brother is an alum and has season tickets. I went with him to the Nebraska game a couple weeks back. He would be doing the happy dance if Gill signed, lets hope he does.

Gill put in his time at UB. We were lucky to have him this long. The scary story for UB is AD Warde Manuel is being considered for the Michigan AD position. If he goes too, UB's run of athletic respectability could be over. The problem for UB athletics is SUNY. The eggheads in Albany don't like jocks. Plus, from what I hear, there are no UB grads in any real power positions in Albany.

As for Ice's rumor about Gill's wife, I believe that story was the Auburn job. It was those rednecks in 'Bama that couldn't cotton to Gill mixed race marriage. Gill is a demi-god in Nebraska and Tom Osborne, his mentor, is like his grandad. They felt he wasn't seasoned enough for the NU job at that time. Turns out Pelkini was a good hire anyway.

PTR

Gill put in his time at UB. We were lucky to have him this long. The scary story for UB is AD Warde Manuel is being considered for the Michigan AD position. If he goes too, UB's run of athletic respectability could be over. The problem for UB athletics is SUNY. The eggheads in Albany don't like jocks. Plus, from what I hear, there are no UB grads in any real power positions in Albany.

As for Ice's rumor about Gill's wife, I believe that story was the Auburn job. It was those rednecks in 'Bama that couldn't cotton to Gill mixed race marriage. Gill is a demi-god in Nebraska and Tom Osborne, his mentor, is like his grandad. They felt he wasn't seasoned enough for the NU job at that time. Turns out Pelkini was a good hire anyway.

PTR

Ah. You may be correct. I do remember a stink being raised about his wife being wife and it causing him a job awhile back.

Ah. You may be correct. I do remember a stink being raised about his wife being wife and it causing him a job awhile back.

How horrible is that? I mean, seriously, this is the world we live in??? That is sad. Very, very sad.

I hope this guy does WONDERS at Kansas...I hope he wins a National Title.

http://deadspin.com/5110639/was-turner-gil...-his-white-wife

ESPN.com football writer Mark Schlabach told "Outside The Lines" today that two other SEC coaches told him, straight up, that Gill would never get the Auburn job, because he's married to a white woman. Charming.

More links to different articles of the story...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3770769

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/93551-d...as-a-white-wife

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...burncoach121508

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/therundow...ge_football.php

He would be the perfect hire for them. RUMOR has it the reason he didn't get the Nebraska job is his wife is white. Seems some of the Nebraska hicks would have an issue with that.

Anyway, my brother is an alum and has season tickets. I went with him to the Nebraska game a couple weeks back. He would be doing the happy dance if Gill signed, lets hope he does.

Does not look like the Kansas fans are happy with this report...

Check out their comments about Gill, UB and the city of Buffalo...

http://boards.kusports.com/showflat.php?Ca...0&fpart=all

What an incredibly ignorant statement by whoever told you that rumor. Despite what some of you northeast elitists believe, Nebraska is not populated by white "hicks." (And no, I do not and have not ever lived in Nebraska I actually live in the Northeast.)

PTR

See above comment. Or....suprise suprise, it could be that UB is a small program, and much like Bills fans, Auburn fans wanted the most decorated coach available, not a coach from a small program.

The scary story for UB is AD Warde Manuel is being considered for the Michigan AD position.

PTR

I don't think you have too much to worry about. From what I've heard Manuel has only an outside chance to get the UM job. The favorite right now is David Brandon.

See above comment. Or....suprise suprise, it could be that UB is a small program, and much like Bills fans, Auburn fans wanted the most decorated coach available, not a coach from a small program.

So they hired Gene 'Cheez-It'? <_<

Whatever the reason Gill wasn't hired, that doesn't mean that people didn't say those things.

PTR

As for Ice's rumor about Gill's wife, I believe that story was the Auburn job. It was those rednecks in LOWER 'Bama that couldn't cotton to Gill mixed race marriage. Gill is a demi-god in Nebraska and Tom Osborne, his mentor, is like his grandad. They felt he wasn't seasoned enough for the NU job at that time. Turns out Pelkini was a good hire anyway.

PTR

Fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...
Does not look like the Kansas fans are happy with this report...

Check out their comments about Gill, UB and the city of Buffalo...

http://boards.kusports.com/showflat.php?Ca...0&fpart=all

This proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that when it comes to football, Kansas Jayhawk fans are idiots.

They are great with basketball, one of the top three fan bases in this country, but they don't know squat about football.

Gill is a great hire and will lead KU back to national prominence. I may start following Jayhawk football now because Turner Gill is there. Plus, KU was smart enough to get rid of the one football coach in this country fatter than Charlie Weis.