TO must be extended or cut NOW

TO is still a great player. I am disheartened by his lack of fight for passes; but, he definitely still has separation ability.

I think he's an asset (in theory), because teams still have to pay him attention. But, teams are playing cloud coverage, and covering both Evans and TO. And, until we get a QB who can zip the ball, we won't be able to find anyone.

So, TO is pointless unless we have a solid QB, with a big arm.

-Check the musings of a Bills and Sabres die-hard:

http://www.twitter.com/jeremynickerson

The problem with your argument is what you're suggesting is likely the best options long term. But the front offices first obligation is to the 53 current players, and to try and win now. So if TO gives them a better chance of winning you keep him. For some of these players, there may never be a next year, so they want to win now. Any team that didn't try to win would in my opinion have trouble attracting free agents dow nthe road.

Now that we are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, the people who run this franchise have an absolute obligation to step in and steer the team into the best possible position FOR NEXT SEASON. Can we all agree on this?

I would argue that since our offense is so anemic and there are not enough footballs to go around to our offensive personnel, TO's presence on the roster essentially keeps Hardy and Steve Johnson (theoretically two intriguing future prospects) off the field. So looking to develop the roster as much as possible for next year, if TO is not part of the future plans, why continue to play him now and keep Hardy and Johnson inactive? You can't make TO inactive, so you would have to cut him. If he IS part of the plans, make a move to extend him now and lock him up so you know what you have going into next year.

To allow TO to play out the string of this season without intending to extend him into next year, is to let this franchise simply drift. It's flat-out rudderless mismanagement of the roster. TO's presence on the roster only serves to extend the short term illusion that the Bills are a real, competitive team - but to what end, what direction? As a fan of this team I feel like I'm being asked to "live a lie" and I find it insulting. Of course, cutting TO now would unleash a tirade from him that would not reflect well on the team or the city. But if you're going to make a cake you need to break a few eggs.

It may well be that this roster is going to simply drift until a new GM is hired - the dead men walking in the front office surely must be hesitant now to propose embarking on a bold new direction. That's understandable, but if that's the case, then time's a wasting, Ralph. Make a GM hire now and give the new guy an opportunity to see what he has for next year. Maybe Ralph's afraid that a new GM will cut TO immediately, thereby exposing the old regime as the football alchemists that they are.