Comcast to purchase NBC

Fezmid

For those who have followed my posts, you'll know that I think this is a TERRIBLE idea and I hope it's declined. A single company should not be allowed to control both the content AND a distribution method as it creates a monopoly whereby other distribution companies are left completely out of the picture (for example, see the Versus debacle with DirecTV -- Versus is owned by Comcast).

Step by step, we come closer to a dozen or so megacorps that rule everything... (assuming we're not already there...)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/01/comcast...unced-thursday/

For those who have followed my posts, you'll know that I think this is a TERRIBLE idea and I hope it's declined. A single company should not be allowed to control both the content AND a distribution method as it creates a monopoly whereby other distribution companies are left completely out of the picture (for example, see the Versus debacle with DirecTV -- Versus is owned by Comcast).

Step by step, we come closer to a dozen or so megacorps that rule everything... (assuming we're not already there...)

Time Warner recently owned Time Warner Cable, CNN, HBO, TBS and TNT. The world didn't come to an end.

Yes, very bad! Comcast sucks! :lol:

Why in the world would anybody care?

Well, what if comcast starts saying stuff on NBC is exclusive or something. I know their are laws to prevent this on the public airwaves as opposed to Cable Sations, but look at what Comcast is doing with Versus and D*. Maybe they do that with some of the other stations they own outside of the main NBC??

Having said that, I am usually a free market type of guy, and I am not to worried here either

Why in the world would anybody care?

Expect NBC programming to be pulled from Hulu in the near future.

Do you think NBC will ever report anything negative about Comcast now? (do you ever hear anything negative about TW from CNN? Not usually). Less fair and balanced reporting.

And as plenzmd said, Comcast could start using the various NBC holdings as leverage to get people to switch to Comcast cable (like, for example, MS does with IE).

Conglomorates are rarely a good thing.