The Value of the Drew Trade.....

CJPearl2

I know he isn't the Bledsoe we remember from the mid to late 90s ...but what is the true value of Drew?

Financially, this trade was positive for TD and RW. Look at the jersey sales, the national attention and most importantly the SELL-OUTS. How many sell-outs have we had the past 3 years with Drew? Everyone but 2 or 3, right?

Even though he has underachieved, he has made the franchise worth more, and maybe more stable to stay in WNY.

Just some thoughts.

I know he isn't the Bledsoe we remember from the mid to late 90s ...but what is the true value of Drew?

Financially, this trade was positive for TD and RW. Look at the jersey sales, the national attention and most importantly the SELL-OUTS. How many sell-outs have we had the past 3 years with Drew? Everyone but 2 or 3, right?

Even though he has underachieved, he has made the franchise worth more, and maybe more stable to stay in WNY.

Just some thoughts.

123502[/snapback]

Can we stop the 'stay in NY' bull stevestojan? If they stay they stay, if they go they go. RW keeps putting stevestojan on the field...he can take the sombitch and move it for all I care. He is starting to find out fans are growing old of his bull stevestojan.

Can we stop the 'stay in NY' bull stevestojan?  If they stay they stay, if they go they go. RW keeps putting stevestojan on the field...he can take the sombitch and move it for all I care.  He is starting to find out fans are growing old of his bull stevestojan.

123544[/snapback]

Which would explain Sunday's sellout.

Guest Guest_rolly_*
Can we stop the 'stay in NY' bull stevestojan?  If they stay they stay, if they go they go. RW keeps putting stevestojan on the field...he can take the sombitch and move it for all I care.  He is starting to find out fans are growing old of his bull stevestojan.

123544[/snapback]

You don't realize what you have until it's gone.

My summary of the Drew trade:

On field for the Bills- Big gain the first year as getting Drew coincided with and play a large role in moving the team from 3-13 with an impotent offense and a D that could play 3/4 of a game well max in 2001 to 8-8 with Bledsoe setting many team passing records and playing QB for a O with a Pro Bowl reserve nod for him (deserved in my view if not who do you suggest was a better performer), a Pro Bowl berth for WR Moulds. a Pro Bowl appearance for RB Henry and a big FA deal for PP who got 94 receptions initiated by Bledsoe. Our D was an even worse performer that year as startting LB acqusition Robinson and rookie Wire filling in for Jenkins were not up to the game to be starters. In addition, though they kept the right QB in Brady, trading Bledsoe argualy cost this team even making the playoffs as they absorbed an accelerated cap hit in this season bookended by two SB wins.

However, the trade proved to be a wash for both the Pats and the Bills as the on-field results the next year saw the Bills do a complete 180 in production and Bledsoe's poor play was a lead in the offensive meltdown and the Pats won an SN with Brady playing a leading role and FA acquisitions like Harrison being a key for them once they got past the Bledsoe cap acceleration hit.

As the Pats had a wash in results but were and are on an upswing with the trade and the Bills finished on the downswing in production linked to the trade I think it is legitimate in this what have you done for me lately league to jusdgw this wash in terms of onfield results as favoring the Pats (though I think calling this the Pats raping the Bills ignores both the Pats missing the playoffs in 2002 due I believe to the cap impacts forced on them by correctly trading Bledsoe.

Off-field impacts- These are impossible to state with certainty, but no one can credibly deny that moving from RJ/AVP to Bledsoe as starter coincided with huge financial gains for the Bills that almost certainly were linked to excitment caused by the Bledsoe acqusition. Objective evidence from the spike in ticket sales right after his signing, to the bid turnout for the welcome Drew event to an ongoing record of sales of luzury boxes and consecutive home sellouts almost certainly were stringly influenced by how Bledsoe could be sold regardless of his production,

The deal is a wash with a bad trend for the Bills at the end of two years on the field but the off-field business spike which coincided with Bledsoe's presecense make this deal a winner for the team.

The real GM mistakes were:

1. Not quitting while we were ahead and saying goodbye to Bledsoe this past off-season.

2. Once you decide to resign him then you have to have a credible plan B if he proves to be beyond rehabilitation. Travis Brown was never that and TD screwed up by not having a plan B at QB.

My summary of the Drew trade:

The real GM mistakes were:

1. Not quitting while we were ahead and saying goodbye to Bledsoe this past off-season.

2. Once you decide to resign him then you have to have a credible plan B if he proves to be beyond rehabilitation.  Travis Brown was never that and TD screwed up by not having a plan B at QB.

123611[/snapback]

I totally agree with 1, it would have cost us $0 against the cap.

TD had a plan B. If Bledsoe was all done, the season was shot anyway. Plan B was to have JP in by midseason if Drew was done-plan B didn't account for Troy Vincent breaking JP's leg in camp.