Is it a big undertaking to replace a driver side seat...

The Poojer

in a car? nothing automatic or electric in the seat, strictly manual....with the right tools and the basic automotive knowledge can this be a diy project or can it be welded easier....

On newer cars - dunno. If you still have that Caravan (was that you?) it should be easy to remove/replace. The mounting bolts/nuts might be corroded, though. I'd squirt some liquid wrench on 'em for a few days.

After removal, clean the mount hardware up and when bolting down the new seat, use some blue Loctite 242:

http://65.213.72.112/tds5/docs/242-EN.PDF

i'm sorry, it is a 92 ford explorer, and yes i did have a caravan

On newer cars - dunno. If you still have that Caravan (was that you?) it should be easy to remove/replace. The mounting bolts/nuts might be corroded, though. I'd squirt some liquid wrench on 'em for a few days.

After removal, clean the mount hardware up and when bolting down the new seat, use some blue Loctite 242:

http://65.213.72.112/tds5/docs/242-EN.PDF

i'm sorry, it is a 92 ford explorer, and yes i did have a caravan

Pretty cut and dry.

Pop off the 4 interior covers where the seat base mounts to the vehicle.

Front mounts are bolts.

Back mounts are stud and nuts (IIRC), at least the RR mount will be.

Seat belt buckle attaches to the RR mount, so do note how everything comes apart.

I would advise removing the back nuts first, then removing the front bolts.

All i know is that my father-in-law didn't like the height on his driver's seat. He took it out and played with it. Turns out he totally screwed up the airbag system (sensors?) and it cost him $700 to get it fixed. He had a brand new 2009 car though. Yours does not sound like that.

in a car? nothing automatic or electric in the seat, strictly manual....with the right tools and the basic automotive knowledge can this be a diy project or can it be welded easier....

What did you do on the seat that you want to replace it?

the track broke on it and one of the welds came undone....i bought the car a year ago for very little money, and it has been very reliable so far

Get some quality drill bits, and lube when you are drilling - slowly - thru the bracket and the floorpan. Don't attempt to drill through a prevoius weldment. Put in a new hole in proximity.

Get some SAE Grade 8 bolts and nuts, and some appropriate washers. And some sort of undercoat to protect the bolt head on the undercarriaige.

Don't use an off-the shelf HD or Lowes bolt.