Charlie Weis Scenario

Ever since Jauron has been fired, a nauseating number of coach and QB possibilities has been thought of and thrown out there. I had an interesting thought that I figured i'd throw out there.

When the "list" of who we were supposedly interested in first came out, Mike Shanahan was put at the top. But the remainder of the list was filled with people like the Alouettes coach and even Charlie Weis. In the (perhaps likely) scenario that no "top tier" head coach is interested in coming here, I thought "what if Charlie Weis ends up being our guy?"

My immediate thought was we'd target Jimmy Clausen in the draft (as it's reported he plans on coming out). After all, he's Charlie's boy. But then I thought of Charlie's original "boy".

Brady Quinn.

His descent in Cleveland since coming out of Notre Dame is well documented. It's very likely (in my opinion) that Cleveland washes their hands of him after this atrocious season.

Under Charlie Weis and Weis' offense, Quinn was a god. If Weiss came in and Quinn became available, I could see him wanting a reunion feeling that he was being coached wrong in Cleveland (on top of the fact that he had little to no help around him). I could even see a Weis/Quinn reunion in Buffalo working out.

What would you think if we went into next season with Charlie Weis as our coach with Brady Quinn, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Brian Brohm battling through the preseason for starting QB; if Fewell comes down to earth and we can't land a top guy?

What would you think if we went into next season with Charlie Weiss as our coach with Brady Quinn, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Brian Brohm battling through the preseason for starting QB; if Fewell comes down to earth and we can't land a top guy?

I'd think, "Go Giants!"

Without sounding too ND biased (I'm trying really), I think Weis would probably make a better NFL head coach than a college one. Just personal opinion, but I think he would be able to reach professional, adult men better than he did college students. That being said, no way would I want him as a HC here. Coordinator...yes. HC...NO.

Along the coordinator lines though, I'd love to see Jimmy Clausen here and it wouldn't be so bad to have a familiar coach help with his transition to the league.

Brady?? No, no, no...he's not in the same league as Clausen. Never was, probably never will be.

Brady?? No, no, no...he's not in the same league as Clausen. Never was, probably never will be.

While this is probably true, Clausen is from .... *dramatic pause* .... California.

Let me also say that this certainly is NOT my ideal situation. But if Charlie Weis is indeed someone on our list and we can't land Shanahan (or anyone "big"), I could certainly see this happening. And that's not to say if this happened that Quinn would definitely start.

I'm just thinking of change in a "realistic" Bills sense.

Ever since Jauron has been fired, a nauseating number of coach and QB possibilities has been thought of and thrown out there. I had an interesting thought that I figured i'd throw out there.

When the "list" of who we were supposedly interested in first came out, Mike Shanahan was put at the top. But the remainder of the list was filled with people like the Alouettes coach and even Charlie Weis. In the (perhaps likely) scenario that no "top tier" head coach is interested in coming here, I thought "what if Charlie Weis ends up being our guy?"

My immediate thought was we'd target Jimmy Clausen in the draft (as it's reported he plans on coming out). After all, he's Charlie's boy. But then I thought of Charlie's original "boy".

Brady Quinn.

His descent in Cleveland since coming out of Notre Dame is well documented. It's very likely (in my opinion) that Cleveland washes their hands of him after this atrocious season.

Under Charlie Weis and Weis' offense, Quinn was a god. If Weiss came in and Quinn became available, I could see him wanting a reunion feeling that he was being coached wrong in Cleveland (on top of the fact that he had little to no help around him). I could even see a Weis/Quinn reunion in Buffalo working out.

What would you think if we went into next season with Charlie Weis as our coach with Brady Quinn, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Brian Brohm battling through the preseason for starting QB; if Fewell comes down to earth and we can't land a top guy?

If you started with this question, I would have stopped reading.

YIKES!

While this is probably true, Clausen is from .... *dramatic pause* .... California.

:thumbsup:

While I'm sure that was tongue-in-cheek, Clausen is not a Cali QB ala RJ, JP or especially Trent. Have you ever been to Northern Indiana? Trust me when I say you'll never catch Clausen wearing sissy gloves or being afraid of snow.

Let me also say that this certainly is NOT my ideal situation. But if Charlie Weis is indeed someone on our list and we can't land Shanahan (or anyone "big"), I could certainly see this happening. And that's not to say if this happened that Quinn would definitely start.

Sadly, you nailed it with your last line. Realistic in Bills sense is a sad, sad thing. I could see something like this being sold to us as the solution as well.

Why is everyone so down on Quinn? Have you seen him play? He is a great QB playing with a high school JV roster. People always ask "Well what if you put (insert above average/great but non-elite QB here) on a sh*t team, what would it look like?" It looks like the Browns....

So is Aaron Rodgers, even played at the University of California. It's a dumb arguement. Clausen is used to playing in colder weather at Dame over the last 3 years. He's also taken his lumps and shown tremendous progression from year to year. His #'s this season are 3,722 yards, 28 TD's versus 4 INT's, and all with a 68% completion percentage. Is there any of you on this board who wouldn't take a QB around here who could put up #'s like that in 12 games? I think not. AND he's been playing with a "turf toe" problem since the 2nd game.

Bart is absolutely right. Clausen is a better QB than Quinn. Even in college Quinn routinely made mental mistakes in big-time games. Clausen is a bit of a douche, but he will be a good pro qb. That said, I would still rather we take 2 OTs early so whomever we bring in can have a chance at actually throwing the ball.