LOST...Season 6

duey

Doc Jensen's recap: "Lessons Learned"

Also, a hearty congratulations to Michael Giacchino on his Oscar win for his music in "Up" (I haven't seen it). The musical score on LOST is a relatively underrated part of what makes the show great. "Life & Death" is so beautiful in full orchestration --- the final few moments of the S1 finale where it's played as they all board 815 was such a great scene b/c of it. Amazing when you think about it that relatively little various-artist track music is used on the show... especially since Hurley's CD-player batteries died out. It's all been stringed instruments. I think it was last year, a concert was held in Hawai'i for the music of LOST. And even though it wasn't anything they had to show up for, a number of the series' actors, behind-the-scenes people, etc. came out for it. As MG explained during the bonus material bit, he doesn't really have anything prepared when he goes into it... just watches the show and plays off of what's happening on the screen.

Move over, John Williams, you've got company.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great discussion as always.

I'm starting to think that "Jacob" might not actually be Jacob, but perhaps the MIB?

Also, we're seeing everyone "choosing sides" either with Jacob or the MIB. The real question remains, which side is "good" and which side is "bad"? I don't think we know yet. Right now it seems as Jacob's side is geared towards keeping everyone on the island and choosing a protector (captor?), while the MIB is geared towards getting off of the island (freeing, or escaping?)

Finally, what the hell is whidmore doing? We know he's after Ben, but is he on the MIB or the Jacob side of the upcoming conflict?

great summary and notes as always James. I wanted to comment on just a couple things at the end of your post.

I'm almost thinking that Ilana was a child of the Island? That she was raised on the Island as one of Jacob's followers. Given the importance of his position as protector of the Island, and that Jacob seemed pretty at home in the foot, I'm not sure about him leaving the Island. Although we do see him off the island to "touch" the candidates, I'm not sure I'd believe that he setup a whole other life in the real world. Unless of course, the Jacob we saw touching the candidates was his OWN sideways flash Jacob! Maybe Jacob and MiB have been through the same thing our Losties have been, years and years beforehand. Having altered their timeline into a separate timeline, they CANT "go home" as MiB so badly wants.

Also, I think Miles said something along the line of "why would I need your money when two dummies named Nikki and Paolo were buried alive with $8mil in diamonds on them?" So yes, he figured it out.

Jacob lived in the statue foot for a while e.g. making the tapestry. But, I don't think it, or the cabin, was necessarily 'home' to him. It's also a little perplexing how Jacob was able to move b/w Island and the real world. Especially to touch Sayid and Hurley... when there wasn't any discernible means of doing so after Locke blew up the sub.

I think it was in Doc Jensen's write-up re: the possibility of Sideways Locke being the MIB. Just as it seems that the '77 Left-Behinders' consciousnesses were transferred to their '77 selves (i.e. Young Jack collapsed ~ age 7 and had to have his appendix removed could be taken as a sign that the two selves merge in the Sideways world). There was the bump in the plane --- what was that? Not saying he's right --- in fact, I highly doubt it.

I stand corrected re: Miles. However, his line included the word "jabronies" to describe Nikki and Paulo. I totally had to look that one up. :doh:

Finally, what the hell is whidmore doing? We know he's after Ben, but is he on the MIB or the Jacob side of the upcoming conflict?

That's a tough one to guess at even with just two choices. Does he still have loyalty to Jacob? or is he seeking vengeance against Jacob for allowing him to be removed as the Others' leader?

Kind of weird that it's taken Widmore 3 years to get to the island after the freighter was blown up. He had the basic idea of where the island was....

Whatever it is, he had a certain destination pre-set. Perhaps it's a beeline to the Ajira survivors.

A few observations:

I think most believed that being touched by Jacob would give them special powers or immortality on the island, but not off as Locke was killed off the island, but it was finally confirmed. Although Sayid "died", so that's an interesting twist. And we found out that Richard could die on the island, but not by his own hand. Reminds me of Michael trying to commit suicide off the island, but couldn't.

I think Jacob's plan worked with Jack. Jack now believes he has a role on this island and he is indeed there for a reason.

Richard saying not to trust Jacob was interesting, We should be finding out more of that back story soon.

Illana has a rocking body! Needs to shed some clothes though... Also, Illana could be like Richard and appear not to age. She did claim that Jacob was like a father to her, so she obviously has known him for a long time.

The Richard and Blackrock connection would explain Flocke's comment about getting out of his chains. He must have come to the island in chains and maybe was freed by Jacob or something.

Ben's father talking about the island brings up the question, was the island sunk by jughead or some other means? I think it's the latter, I never believed the bomb sunk the island. I think it's more feasible that they hit the magnetic pocket while drilling or something. That would mean that he plane never crashed, although Juliet mentioning "it worked" to Sawyer definitely has me doubting myself. But when the submarine was evacuating people, Ben was shot so they could not have left the island immediately prior to the incident since Ben was at the Temple recuperating, So if the bomb sunk the island, how did they get off of it?

Final thought...I had a feeling of déjà vu when watching the slow motion seen at the beach. Didn't they do that in a previous episode? I want to say it was almost exactly the same, but I would have to re-watch it. does anyone remember what season and episode that was?

Final thought...I had a feeling of déjà vu when watching the slow motion seen at the beach. Didn't they do that in a previous episode? I want to say it was almost exactly the same, but I would have to re-watch it. does anyone remember what season and episode that was?

From Doc Jensens recap

This moment was staged to deliberately echo the scene from the season 3 episode ''One Of Us,'' when Jack, Kate, and Sayid returned from New Otherton, bringing Juliet with them. When the beach crew saw her, the happy-huggy moment abruptly ended, and everyone gave her the stink-eye (especially, ironically, Sawyer) — just like Jack and Ben traded suspicious looks in last night's episode. We learned at the very end of ''One Of Us'' that newbie Juliet was indeed shady; she had been sent by Ben to spy on the camp. (The moment was mirrored, I think, by having ''Dr. Linus'' end with Widmore's submarine spying on the castaways.)

A few observations:

I think most believed that being touched by Jacob would give them special powers or immortality on the island, but not off as Locke was killed off the island, but it was finally confirmed. Although Sayid "died", so that's an interesting twist. And we found out that Richard could die on the island, but not by his own hand. Reminds me of Michael trying to commit suicide off the island, but couldn't.

I think Jacob's plan worked with Jack. Jack now believes he has a role on this island and he is indeed there for a reason.

Richard saying not to trust Jacob was interesting, We should be finding out more of that back story soon.

Illana has a rocking body! Needs to shed some clothes though... Also, Illana could be like Richard and appear not to age. She did claim that Jacob was like a father to her, so she obviously has known him for a long time.

The Richard and Blackrock connection would explain Flocke's comment about getting out of his chains. He must have come to the island in chains and maybe was freed by Jacob or something.

Ben's father talking about the island brings up the question, was the island sunk by jughead or some other means? I think it's the latter, I never believed the bomb sunk the island. I think it's more feasible that they hit the magnetic pocket while drilling or something. That would mean that he plane never crashed, although Juliet mentioning "it worked" to Sawyer definitely has me doubting myself. But when the submarine was evacuating people, Ben was shot so they could not have left the island immediately prior to the incident since Ben was at the Temple recuperating, So if the bomb sunk the island, how did they get off of it?

Probably the best way to explain it is much like Tom Friendly explained to Michael... that the island/Jacob won't allow them to die until their purpose is completed. Whether on the island or not, or whether that purpose is on or off-island. After which time, they're on their own --- or, in Charlie's case, you get help from a future-flash Desmond. It's like the several times Others have killed each other e.g. Mikhail killed Ms. Klew(?) outside the Flame after she spoke to him in Latin, presumably telling him to shoot her. If it's her time, then she'd die, if it wasn't, the bullet would be a dud or something. It's an uncommon acceptance of death... an uncommon grace of knowing it's time to go and not being afraid anymore.

The sideways flashes are what happened if 815 never crashed at all --- with some differences to the Left-Behinders who had been touched by Jacob in the original timeline (the train of thought being that each of their consciousnesses merged, perhaps similar to how Desmond smiled in 1996 in "The Constant" after the call to Penny in 2004 worked). But the effect of on-island life would be pretty profound, if the course happened as we expect it happened (and as Lindelof/Cuse have described it). There would've been no time-travel interfering with the Swan or Orchid constructions. No Daniel Faraday telling Dr. Chang about hitting the pocket of energy under the Swan. No Jughead detonation. Ben wasn't shot. Nothing. Time reset in the sideways world. The DI was on its own, and evidently, something went really wrong.

Re: Doc Jensen's write-up this week, there was nary a mention of the possibility that Ben's whole demeanor in the sideways flash was different b/c he hadn't been dunked in the Temple pool. His "innocence," as Richard explained it, was still intact.

Yes, in regard to the beach scene. Answered above by Scraps.

a friend of mine messaged me about an audiobook he has been listening to by the physicist Martin Rees. The book is called Just Six Numbers and is about 6 physical constants "whose values he deems fundamental to present-day physical theory and the known structure of the universe"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensionless...27s_Six_Numbers

Could just be a coincidence, but it made me think about the Oceanic 6 and the "remaining 6 candidates" and that maybe Jacob will need all 6 together in the end in order to pull off what he needs done. This would explain why he said it would be very bad if Sayid died. And also why there were the numbers written next to the Losties names on the cave walls but no one else's. When he touched each of them, he gave them PART of his "power" (for lack of better term). FLocke/Ben was able to kill Jacob because the Island/Destiny was done with him because his "power" had been split and transferred to the 6.

From the wiki article, a most INTERESTING quote regarding one of the constants:

Ω determines the ultimate fate of the universe.

Isnt that the symbol in the wall that leads out of the temple? The Omega symbol!!

i dont know, you tell me :rolleyes:

a friend of mine messaged me about an audiobook he has been listening to by the physicist Martin Rees. The book is called Just Six Numbers and is about 6 physical constants "whose values he deems fundamental to present-day physical theory and the known structure of the universe"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensionless...27s_Six_Numbers

Could just be a coincidence, but it made me think about the Oceanic 6 and the "remaining 6 candidates" and that maybe Jacob will need all 6 together in the end in order to pull off what he needs done. This would explain why he said it would be very bad if Sayid died. And also why there were the numbers written next to the Losties names on the cave walls but no one else's. When he touched each of them, he gave them PART of his "power" (for lack of better term). FLocke/Ben was able to kill Jacob because the Island/Destiny was done with him because his "power" had been split and transferred to the 6.

i dont know, you tell me :rolleyes:

This seems a distinct possibility... at this point.

One thing tho --- there were numbers written next to the crossed-out names in the cave. Link. They were also written next to the names in the Lighthouse.

This seems a distinct possibility... at this point.

One thing tho --- there were numbers written next to the crossed-out names in the cave. Link. They were also written next to the names in the Lighthouse.

AH! there were, dang it. i was sorta hoping for the best on that part of my theory and trying to recollect at this time of night. i knew about the lighthouse and the degrees, but thought maybe they were missing from the cave. good find on the pic.

ok ill edit it this way...

given that there were, in fact, all of these earlier numbered candidates that either failed some test, or removed them selves from the running somehow, what if it was all a search for the 6 Constants?? Jacob started with 360 people/numbers and whittled them down in order to find the right numbers.

AH! there were, dang it. i was sorta hoping for the best on that part of my theory and trying to recollect at this time of night. i knew about the lighthouse and the degrees, but thought maybe they were missing from the cave. good find on the pic.

ok ill edit it this way...

given that there were, in fact, all of these earlier numbered candidates that either failed some test, or removed them selves from the running somehow, what if it was all a search for the 6 Constants?? Jacob started with 360 people/numbers and whittled them down in order to find the right numbers.

If that's so, and the candidates can't be killed (very easily, at least), shouldn't there be some left from previous groups? What would be the odds of getting all 6 in this last batch of castways? Is Richard a candidate... or was he a candidate whose candidacy ended... or was he not a candidate at all?

I'm not going to discount it entirely, but I do believe that Jacob is looking to pare it down to just one of them. And it seems like Jack is his favorite among the 6.

I have also heard that several deaths are forthcoming.

If that's so, and the candidates can't be killed (very easily, at least), shouldn't there be some left from previous groups? What would be the odds of getting all 6 in this last batch of castways? Is Richard a candidate... or was he a candidate whose candidacy ended... or was he not a candidate at all?

I'm not going to discount it entirely, but I do believe that Jacob is looking to pare it down to just one of them. And it seems like Jack is his favorite among the 6.

I have also heard that several deaths are forthcoming.

i dont know. im sure it's not the "answer". just throwin it out there on a thursday night. feel free to totally discount it, it wont hurt my feelings. im not trying to solve it all here :rolleyes:

part of what i miss in this last season is that there isnt much room for these side discussions, as everyone is trying to focus and narrow it down to what the show actually means. these "side facts" are always what i enjoyed most.

here's a whole part of physics i never would have heard of if not for this show. and this isnt basic physics either.

just like i wouldnt have had a chance to discuss Schrödinger's cat with people

just like i never would have heard of, or discussed, the artistic works of Hieronymus Bosch. Hieronymus being Charlies middle name. Hieronymus Bosch was a 15th century painter whose most famous work, The Garden of Earthly Delights, depicts a land in the middle panel that gives unto it's inhabitants everything they need. On one side of the panel is "good", "light". On the other is "hell", "evil".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...en_delights.jpg

The BEST part of that work is when you CLOSE THE PANELS

We see an island, floating in a universe of it's own, being watched over by black smoke!!

god i love this show.

I'm cutting and pasting this from a theory/spoilers (no, there aren't any included here) site. Written by user, "The Graphite."

The Pool Room

I was watching the enhanced version of last week's episode, Sundown, when I was reminded of an odd statement someone said. One of the survivors at the temple referred to something being "in the pool room."

The pool room? This show has numerous references to games. What do you do in the pool room? Play pool, of course. How do you play pool?

Two players, a white ball and a black ball. And a bunch of other balls, each one unique and with a NUMBER assigned to it. Many of those numbered balls get eliminated during the game. Some of them are pushed into hitting other numbered balls, all the time avoiding the real, ultimate enemy (the black ball). The white ball knocks the numbered, colored balls around the green table. The black ball cannot be "killed" until the very end; only then can it be finally defeated. Any attempts before that will still leave the black ball in play on the green table.

Likewise, the white ball, if knocked off the table, will come back and still be able to manipulate the numbered, colored balls on the table.

I know it's not an absolutely perfect analogy for the "war" that is happening on the island, but there are too many similarities for it to be coincidence, in my mind anyway. I just thought the "pool room" reference was a bit odd. Both times I watched the show, the first thing I thought of was ... a room in which you play pool. And, what with all the game references on the show, I don't think it's a coincidence.

Wow. With all I know, and from my quirky observances, this is an excellent metaphor.

I'm cutting and pasting this from a theory/spoilers (no, there aren't any included here) site. Written by user, "The Graphite."

Wow. With all I know, and from my quirky observances, this is an excellent metaphor.

Little to deep in my opinion. I think it is the pool room because it is the room with the pool in it.

A couple of bits from what I've read....

As stated by Cuse in a S3 DVD commentary and since, word is coming that the food drops will be explained, but they will not be explained on the show itself. I would guess that it'll be a thing similar to the podcasts, mobisodes, etc. In retrospect, I guess it's not very important to the larger themes.

They've also said that the character of Annie (the girl who gave Ben the wooden doll in "The Man Behind the Curtain) will not be revisited. Really, she was someone who got ~ 1 minute of screen time, and whose appearance only served to help frame Ben's relation with women (i.e. His mother, Annie, then Juliet). To anyone disappointed by this, well, you can be disappointed, but it's just not necessary.

Then, upon seeing a photo of Matthew Fox's wife.... Holy crap, I think can understand him wanting to get some strange. Not that I hold movie stars up as beacons of morality, but he should have used more discretion. Especially when there's kids in the picture.

Indeed, let's just hope that Flocke doesn't have the 15 ball (Sawyer) in his back err side pocket. :)