If the draft were today, we'd be ... 11th!

Thurman#1

Amen. Does anybody think we wouldn't have drafted Maybin at #7 overall?

Actually? Yes. I think we would've taken Raji, Monroe, or even possibly Crabtree. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, after thinking about it, I think we would be in good position to take Brandon Spikes at #11 which would allow Puz to go back to WOLB and either Mitchell or Maybin to play SOLB.

Clements was a terrific player. If you get a terrific player, you can't blame them for not picking a better one. I wanted Marcus Stroud that year, but he was drafted one spot before we picked and we then traded back.

We missed out of Roethlisberger because we won one too many games that year. That stuff matters. Bigtime!!! Ended up with JP instead, you'll remember.

You are assuming we would have taken Ben instead of Evans.

You are assuming we would have taken Ben instead of Evans.

If you recall the first round of the '04 draft, Donahoe had a trade set up with Houston to swap their 10th with our 13th plus additional pick. He wanted to take Ben before Steelers could get him and Chris Mortenson reported it on ESPN as a done deal. Well, moments later the Falcons took a CB (DeAngelo hall , I believe) and the Texans were afraid they were no longer assured of getting the player they wanted (CB Dunta Robinson) with the Bills pick. They nixed the deal at the last minute, leaving Big Ben for the Steelers. TD tried and failed, but probably should have selected Tommie Harris or Vince Wilfork after the trade deal fell through. Evans is good, but the Bills would be a stronger team with either of those DL's. Certainly with Roethlisberger.