If the draft were today, we'd be ... 11th!

Thurman#1

I could care less about draft position.

As long as our front office is ridden of Modrak and Guy, and a proven GM is in place, I trust that any and all personnel decisions will be an improvement over what we currently have.

Look at what Fewell has done with choosing Fitz over Edwards, and Jackson over Lynch? Where has Hardy been now that he is active? Parrish?

That, respectively, are #3, #1, #2, and #2 picks not seeing the field. That an undrafted player is currently performing higher than your #1 pick, does not speak highly of the talents of one Mr. Modrak.

You know whats sad...

to some fans: ~7 draft spots > a winning team.

The cure to losing is winning. Not an overpaid 22 year-old crap-shoot.

I understand what you are saying, but understand what I mean. The Bills ARE NOT a winning team any way you cut it. Therefore I feel we need better players to become a better team. Therefore I wish for Modrak to be fired, which I feel is tied to us losing and bringing in a real football man. Then, the higher we draft, the better chance we have at obtaining better players. A real football man only needs one draft to turn a perpetual 7-9 team into a playoff caliber team. But it is a double edged sword for sure.

I understand what you are saying, but understand what I mean. The Bills ARE NOT a winning team any way you cut it. Therefore I feel we need better players to become a better team. Therefore I wish for Modrak to be fired, which I feel is tied to us losing and bringing in a real football man. Then, the higher we draft, the better chance we have at obtaining better players. A real football man only nees one draft to turn a perpetual 7-9 team into a playoff caliber team. But it is a double edged sword for sure.

What? That makes no sense. Modrak's sake is not at all reliant on our record. That was reflective of the coach who is now fired. If we win, because we're actually talented, then maybe you're pointing fingers in the wrong places. I'd rather see the Bills get their first winning record in years then see another struggling team in a rebuilding stage looking for an identity come august. We ARE a winning team any way you cut it. A real coach would have beaten the Pats, and the Browns. There you go. 6-5.

What? That makes no sense. Modrak's sake is not at all reliant on our record. That was reflective of the coach who is now fired. If we win, because we're actually talented, then maybe you're pointing fingers in the wrong places. I'd rather see the Bills get their first winning record in years then see another struggling team in a rebuilding stage looking for an identity come august. We ARE a winning team any way you cut it. A real coach would have beaten the Pats, and the Browns. There you go. 6-5.

Not entirely.

I would fault the coaching staff for the scheme and/ or selection of players who will be starting on Game Day.

As demonstrated by Fewell these past 2 weeks, a simple change in player selection can have tremendous benefits on your team. Fitzpatrick over Edwards, or Jackson over Lynch, for instance.

Also, if Mauron is going to the scouting department and stating that he wants undersized but fast LB's, quick but smallish DE's, etc, then the scheme is the problem. Selecting to go with a no-huddle offense when you have an undersized defense, in hindsight, was also a boner idea.

Now, when the Bills have failed to produce any offensive linemen worth a darn in the past 8 years (Butler and Wood exempt), or defensive linemen, or a QB, TE, or a receiver outside of Evans...it really does not bode well for the front office (i.e. Modrak).

When you look at the overall talent level for the past 8 years, or look back to the draft history of the Bills from 2000-2005, during which they had 50 picks, and only 6 are still with the team, or the incredible problems they seem to have this decade with drafting any impact player in the first 3 rounds and that is your front office/ scouting department.

That scouting department is headed by one Tom Modrak.

We've had now 4 coaches this decade. How many QB's? How much player turnover? With all of these changes in personnel and philosophy, it has to be higher than anything on the field. The only consistents have been Modrak and Guy.

If we want to see dramatic change, then Modrak and Guy have got to go.

Yes!!! Maybe there will be a second round safety available at #11. Or better yet a raw undersized OLB that we will play at DE... can't wait

Does it really matter where we pick? Really??? Guys picked behind Maybin include Orakpo, Cushing, Matthews, Harvin, Pettigrew, Oher. Pretty much every guy on that list was talked about by every fan on TSW as the best pick for the team, however, we found a way to outsmart ourselves again.

See, I would have no problem with the number 11 pick aside from the fact that it is a symbol of mediocrity and the failure to fix it.

I think draft spot is pretty negligent if you have a good FO. Unfortunately, we do not.

Problem with 8-11 this year is that again we miss out on the blatant IN YOUR FACE impact players. Which means, we rely on our scouting department to see who is the best out of probably 10-15 players with similarly touted upsides. Which means you have Maybin, Orakpo, Oher on the board...and who do you pick?

I think all signs point to us taking a QB unless Fitzpatrick lights it up. If there was a cheap veteran option out there to sign for a year or 2 (and give the Bills cover while they hopefully rebuild their lines), that would be nice. But, to the best of my knowledge, no such option is available..

Linkage: http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=league

Loved that win, but, jeez ....

11 is fine, a quality pick and no top 10 money. Good players will be available, as they have in the past. We just haven't taken them. Did you see Drew Brees last night? Early second round. Know who da Bills took at 21 that year? Nate Clements. Coulda moved down and still had Brees. Draft position only counts if you make the right selections, which we have a pretty terrible recent track record of anyways. I'd like to see some wins as a sign that this team has some life in them after Skeletor. :D

Not entirely.

I would fault the coaching staff for the scheme and/ or selection of players who will be starting on Game Day.

As demonstrated by Fewell these past 2 weeks, a simple change in player selection can have tremendous benefits on your team. Fitzpatrick over Edwards, or Jackson over Lynch, for instance.

Also, if Mauron is going to the scouting department and stating that he wants undersized but fast LB's, quick but smallish DE's, etc, then the scheme is the problem. Selecting to go with a no-huddle offense when you have an undersized defense, in hindsight, was also a boner idea.

Now, when the Bills have failed to produce any offensive linemen worth a darn in the past 8 years (Butler and Wood exempt), or defensive linemen, or a QB, TE, or a receiver outside of Evans...it really does not bode well for the front office (i.e. Modrak).

When you look at the overall talent level for the past 8 years, or look back to the draft history of the Bills from 2000-2005, during which they had 50 picks, and only 6 are still with the team, or the incredible problems they seem to have this decade with drafting any impact player in the first 3 rounds and that is your front office/ scouting department.

That scouting department is headed by one Tom Modrak.

We've had now 4 coaches this decade. How many QB's? How much player turnover? With all of these changes in personnel and philosophy, it has to be higher than anything on the field. The only consistents have been Modrak and Guy.

If we want to see dramatic change, then Modrak and Guy have got to go.

We have heard lots of different things about who is making the actual draft decisions.

One thing I have NOT heard is that we are getting the guys Modrak wanted. The only thing I know is that Modrak wanted Cutler. You'll notice he's not on the team. We often do well later in the draft. That's the result of good scouting. IMHO the early round crap has largely been the result of Modrak being overruled.

If that's not true, get Modrak out. But if Modrak stays, we'll know that's probably the reason.

11 is fine, a quality pick and no top 10 money. Good players will be available, as they have in the past. We just haven't taken them. Did you see Drew Brees last night? Early second round. Know who da Bills took at 21 that year? Nate Clements. Coulda moved down and still had Brees. Draft position only counts if you make the right selections, which we have a pretty terrible recent track record of anyways. I'd like to see some wins as a sign that this team has some life in them after Skeletor. :D

Clements was a terrific player. If you get a terrific player, you can't blame them for not picking a better one. I wanted Marcus Stroud that year, but he was drafted one spot before we picked and we then traded back.

We missed out of Roethlisberger because we won one too many games that year. That stuff matters. Bigtime!!! Ended up with JP instead, you'll remember.

It looks like we'd pick 9th, based on strength of schedule.

Still though, we're getting close to our comfort zone of #11 overall!

Since the year we picked 4th overall, we are always in the top dozen or so. How can you get excited about this... since it hasn't helped the Bills to become a competitive team? If an organization is really good at evaluating which college players will do well in the pros, they get stronger as a result of the draft, even if they never pick near the top. Occasionally, a couple of top-rated players in the draft are very high probability NFL successes. (i.e. Peyton Manning) But Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Ray Lewis, L.T. a ton of other stars are found later in round 1 or even several rounds later. It's not when you get to pick, it's who you decide to pick when it's your turn.

Clements was a terrific player. If you get a terrific player, you can't blame them for not picking a better one. I wanted Marcus Stroud that year, but he was drafted one spot before we picked and we then traded back.

We missed out of Roethlisberger because we won one too many games that year. That stuff matters. Bigtime!!! Ended up with JP instead, you'll remember.

Yes Clements was a very good corner. But he represents poor team building. He is a CB! The most overpaid free agent position (ie you will probably not keep him unless he is Champ Bailey) and not nearly as valuable to your team as a QB or Left Tackle. Also an easier to find physical type. There is a reason very good players at those positions rarely hit free agency. Taking a WR or CB in the first round is bad strategy. Take a big guy DT or OL or a QB. That's where you win and lose ballgames.

See, I would have no problem with the number 11 pick aside from the fact that it is a symbol of mediocrity and the failure to fix it.

I think draft spot is pretty negligent if you have a good FO. Unfortunately, we do not.

Problem with 8-11 this year is that again we miss out on the blatant IN YOUR FACE impact players. Which means, we rely on our scouting department to see who is the best out of probably 10-15 players with similarly touted upsides. Which means you have Maybin, Orakpo, Oher on the board...and who do you pick?

I think all signs point to us taking a QB unless Fitzpatrick lights it up. If there was a cheap veteran option out there to sign for a year or 2 (and give the Bills cover while they hopefully rebuild their lines), that would be nice. But, to the best of my knowledge, no such option is available..

I disagree with the bolded statement. Look at teams with good FO's and how they act:

- A while back, Bill Polian and the Colts had the first overall pick. Instead of trading down, he stayed where he was and took Peyton Manning. That one pick, alone, probably explains why Polian was able to win a Super Bowl with the Colts even though he failed to do so with the Bills or Panthers.

- In a subsequent draft, Polian and the Colts had the fourth overall pick. Mike Ditka wanted Ricky Williams, and offered the Colts a king's ransom for trading down a few slots. Instead, Polian stayed where he was and took Edgerrin James.

- During the 2000s, the Patriots once traded two picks in the lower first round for just one pick in the top ten.

- In another draft, the Patriots traded away their first round pick, straight up, for San Francisco's first round pick the following year.

Draft position matters, at least in the eyes of the best run franchises in the NFL. One could argue that a lousy GM will mess up no matter how good his draft position is. The cure for that is to a) have a good GM, and b) to give that GM the highest possible draft picks you can.