Direct TV DVRs (OT)

Hey all---I know there is a separate DTV forum but need a quicker response---hope someone can help me out with a direct tv dvr question... Instead of buying a more expensive crappy dvr from direct tv directly, can i purchase and install a better one from circuit city myself or being an existing direct customer do i need to buy from them? DTV customer service obviously won't give me a direct answer cuz they want the jack!! Thanks!

Hey all---I know there is a separate DTV forum but need a quicker response---hope someone can help me out with a direct tv dvr question... Instead of buying a more expensive crappy dvr from direct tv directly, can i purchase and install a better one from circuit city myself or being an existing direct customer do i need to buy from them? DTV customer service obviously won't give me a direct answer cuz they want the jack!! Thanks!

123343[/snapback]

Honestly, I don't see any reason why you can't but the one from Circuit City, you still will end up paying the $4.99 a month to Directv for the service anyway on the new receiver/DVR. Just do it and call them to give them the card number and where it's going to be located. I don't think they have a strict rule as to which DVR you use. I've gotten two from DTV and one was a RCA, the other was Hughes, which melted down after a month. Good Luck. BTW, I'm considering adding another DVR and was going to buy one at Best Buy.

123343[/snapback]

There is no "better one;" they're all exactly the same, with a different logo on front.

As an aside, if people actually POSTED to the consumer forums instead of posting here, more people would actually READ the consumer forums, thus making it much more useful.

There's more DVR info in the consumer forums.

CW

Guest Guest_AstrosShortstop_*
There is no "better one;" they're all exactly the same, with a different logo on front.

As an aside, if people actually POSTED to the consumer forums instead of posting here, more people would actually READ the consumer forums, thus making it much more useful.

There's more DVR info in the consumer forums.

CW

123411[/snapback]

Actually no there are more than 1 type CC sells a 35 hour dvr, a 40 hour dvd, and an 80 hour unit....some are RCA, Hughes, and TIVO units. So to say they are exactly the same but debadged & rebadged is wrong....Thanks for your lecture though LOL :rolleyes:

Actually no there are more than 1 type CC sells a 35 hour dvr, a 40 hour dvd, and an 80 hour unit....some are RCA, Hughes, and TIVO units. So to say they are exactly the same but debadged & rebadged is wrong....Thanks for your lecture though LOL :D

123436[/snapback]

The insides are *exactly* the same for the DirecTV/TiVos, only the size of the harddrive is different. They're all made in the same factory.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showt...ghlight=factory

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showt...ghlight=factory

Maybe it'd help if you were more informed before attacking someone for their "lecture." :rolleyes:

CW

BTW, I'm considering adding another DVR and was going to buy one at Best Buy.

Remember that if you buy 1 more, or 50 more, you still only pay the base $4.99/month for the DVR service. The only extra fee will be the $4.99 receiver fee (which you're charged whether you buy a regular receiver or a DVR).

CW

When I had my direcTV installed I thought that TiVo was just a gimmick VCR replacement, so I declined a Digital recorder upgrade for a few bucks ..... to make a long story short ........ after finding out what TiVo could actually do I decided I couldn't live without it. Problem was, instead of getting a reciever/recorder combo, I just got the recorder ....... I still love it ...... BUT .... without the combo unit, you can't record one channel while watching another, which would be a big plus.

I recommend going with the direcTV reciever/recorder combo .... you will not regret it.

When I had my direcTV installed I thought that TiVo was just a gimmick VCR replacement, so I declined a Digital recorder upgrade for a few bucks ..... to make a long story short ........ after finding out what TiVo could actually do I decided I couldn't live without it. Problem was, instead of getting a reciever/recorder combo, I just got the recorder ....... I still love it ...... BUT .... without the combo unit, you can't record one channel while watching another, which would be a big plus.

I recommend going with the direcTV reciever/recorder combo .... you will not regret it.

123533[/snapback]

You're also paying a LOT more. Aren't you paying $12.99/month? The combo box is only $4.99/month... And only costs $99 (or less) for the box itself.

CW