Hines Ward disses Roethlisberger

Jerry Jabber

Yeah, I saw that Hines Ward interview on NBC last night. Guy is a serious jackhole. I lived in Pittsburgh for about 6 years, Ward was treated like a god there, but I always thought he was a selfish douche. During the interview he hinted that he felt Ben should have lied about his symptoms in order to play. So incredibly selfish and irresponsible.

What cracked me up when I watched the interview on TV, was how Ward was given multiple chances to step back a bit and agree that concussions are different than other kinds of injuries. But the jerk wouldn't go for it. He's always been a guy who reporters could count on to put his foot in his mouth.

I liked Rich Eisen's response, about being foolish to deceive trainers and coaches and most of all owing it to your family to want to have a life with them once your career is over. So many of these guys are semi-crippled later in life, but why take a chance on becoming a vegetable?

Having said that, and knowing that the league is studying the effects of concussions now more than ever, why is the research for a new and better helmet going so slow?

* Soft "flak jackets" protect quarterbacks better than ever before.

* The military keeps making improvements to bulletproof apparel.

* Hard helmets are now used as weapons to enhance hits (greatly increasing injuries).

It seems like a new soft helmet is a solution. Instead, the league just keeps making new rules to protect players, which are not working. It's not like we want to see the players looking like the Michelin Man, but players who are good (and in some cases great) are the essence of the game. Lately, playoff teams are determined as much by their walking wounded count as by the skill of their players.