Fewell is going to complicate the coaching search big time

PromoTheRobot

I think Fewell has done a good job firing the team up. However, I dont want to see him as the permanant coach. If anything he is coaching for HC consideration on another team. We need a HC that has experience and has the staff to bring with them. Guys like Shanny and Cowher have an idea of who they will bring in as coordinators. I doubt Fewell has those connections.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

If Fewell stays, it means Russ Brandon will continue to be our acting GM. The same fundamental problem we have had for 10 years will be alive and well.... it all starts and ends with the Front Office.

A GM needs to be brought in. A good GM. If they think Fewell is the best guy for their team and system, that is fine..... but IMO it would be very unlikely.

we won ONE GAME people!

Time to calm down....

Almost doesn't count for last week. If it did, Jauron would still be the coach.

That's what message boards are for.....pondering the "what ifs"

IF by some miracle he wins out w/this team then we definitely have to keep him. Everybody can agree that for the past 2 weeks this team has played w/motivation and emotion that we haven't seen for years. I think we also can agree that it's a direct result of the head coach. Everyone has to start somewhere and if he excells this year then I think we would be crazy to go in a different direction.

Saying that, we still need to reorg the front office especially w/a new GM.

If the people screaming for Cowher and Shannahan were serious about winning they would insist on hiring a good GM first. It would be a typical Buffalo loser move to spend $50M on something that has never worked...while ignoring a possible future HC already on your staff. I say spend the money on a GM and scouts, let them decide who is coach and sign some good players. That's how you build a winner. See Bill Polian.

PTR

I have to laugh at the thought we win 5 more games this year

Perry has 0 chance of wining 3 gamnes let alone 5 games with this team....

The Bills pulled off a win in the last 3 minutes yesterday.. Very slim chance he does that 5 weeks in a row

If the people screaming for Cowher and Shannahan were serious about winning they would insist on hiring a good GM first. It would be a typical Buffalo loser move to spend $50M on something that has never worked...while ignoring a possible future HC already on your staff. I say spend the money on a GM and scouts, let them decide who is coach and sign some good players. That's how you build a winner. See Bill Polian.

PTR

Cowher or Shanahan would be given the GM decisions making power for talent evaluation...

The Bills pulled off a win in the last 3 minutes yesterday.. Very slim chance he does that 5 weeks in a row

That last quarter scoring blitz was set up by the long drive that started in the 3rd quarter and ended with a score at the beginning of the 4th Q. That gassed the Miami D enough to the point where we could take some chances in the last quarter. We kept the game close and played good D and O in the last quarter. Don't under-estimate that.

By your 'standards' the Colts have been squeaking out wins half of this season so are they are not a legitimate loss-less team ?

PTR

Co-sign...

Looking at this cream puff schedule, I think there's a decent chance the Bills could go 4-1 the rest of the way. The Jets and Chiefs are pathetic, the Falcons can't play defense and the Colts will probably be playing backups.

I've maintained from day one that shanahan is overrated on this board. If Fewell coaches well the rest of the season, he's the man. I think we have had enough of NFL head coach retreads with Rauch and Knoll etc. Shanahan was on the downward side of his career in Denver and I don't see why anyone would believe he is going to have a rebirth in Buffalo.

Looking at this cream puff schedule, I think there's a decent chance the Bills could go 4-1 the rest of the way. The Jets and Chiefs are pathetic, the Falcons can't play defense and the Colts will probably be playing backups.

If the Colts are 15-0, there is no way they sit the starters. In fact the game will likely be moved to Sunday Night. How cool would it be if the Bills were 8-7 and beating the Colts would put them in the playoffs?

Dude, I love what you call "cream puff." Atlanta on the road? Colts, who could be 15-0 by then? The dreaded Patriots*? Even KC is tough at home.

PTR

If the Colts are 15-0, there is no way they sit the starters. In fact the game will likely be moved to Sunday Night. How cool would it be if the Bills were 8-7 and beating the Colts would put them in the playoffs?

Dude, I love what you call "cream puff." Atlanta on the road? Colts, who could be 15-0 by then? The dreaded Patriots*? Even KC is tough at home.

PTR

There are three teams on this schedule that probably won't finish above .500 and unless the Colts go into it 15-0, and I doubt they will, they will likely be playing backups. Aside from the Pats, that's a pretty weak schedule in my opinion.

All the people screaming for a "name" head coach are the same people that run players out of town then look on in amazement as they play well for other teams. Bringing in Shanahan and asking him to do everything is not going to work. It hasn't worked with Parcells, it hasn't worked with Holmgren, it likely won't work here. There have been a grand total of ONE coach that has won the Super Bowl with two different teams and that was 40 years ago.

If Fewell manages to get this rag tag group of misfits to finish at or above .500 (for his games as HC) then he not only deserves consideration for the HC spot he deserves a bust in the freaking Hall of Fame. The armchair geniuses here continue to overlook the fact that our personnel isn't just young and inexperienced, they're downright awful at many positions. There are guys taking snaps on the offensive line that probably don't even belong in the league. In a normal year they wouldn't even make the team.

Fewell might just be the next great coach but we'll probably never know because the mouth breathers will demand that we get somebody they've heard of. The intelligent approach would be to see how this thing plays out. If Fewell continues to coach well then give him the job, bring in a competent GM and spend the money you'd throw at Shanahan on real players.

Id argue that the "mouth breathers" are the people who see ONE WIN and are considering hiring that guy over the one who took a team to the playoffs 10 out of 14 years he coached it and has TWO Rings on his resume.

But Id be open to the second approach, too (Fewell/New Front office).

Either way, be it at coach or in the Front Office, this team must SOMEWHERE bring in PROVEN NFL-level ability. This team cannot right now afford to bring in unknowns. So if its Fewel for HC, then you MUST bring in PROVEN talent for the Front Office.

There are three teams on this schedule that probably won't finish above .500 and unless the Colts go into it 15-0, and I doubt they will, they will likely be playing backups. Aside from the Pats, that's a pretty weak schedule in my opinion.

Atlanta has a winning record and we are playing them on the road. Whatever...I'm sure you'll think up more excuses if the Bills keep winning.

PTR

Id argue that the "mouth breathers" are the people who see ONE WIN and are considering hiring that guy over the one who took a team to the playoffs 10 out of 14 years he coached it and has TWO Rings on his resume.

But Id be open to the second approach, too (Fewell/New Front office).

Either way, be it at coach or in the Front Office, this team must SOMEWHERE bring in PROVEN NFL-level ability. This team cannot right now afford to bring in unknowns. So if its Fewel for HC, then you MUST bring in PROVEN talent for the Front Office.

I would counter that the real mouth-breathers can't see past wins and losses and pay no attention to how a coach coaches. What's really bizarre is the desire to pay a coach $50M and make him GM too when that arrangement has never succeeded in the NFL.

PTR

All the people screaming for a "name" head coach are the same people that run players out of town then look on in amazement as they play well for other teams. Bringing in Shanahan and asking him to do everything is not going to work. It hasn't worked with Parcells, it hasn't worked with Holmgren, it likely won't work here. There have been a grand total of ONE coach that has won the Super Bowl with two different teams and that was 40 years ago.

If Fewell manages to get this rag tag group of misfits to finish at or above .500 (for his games as HC) then he not only deserves consideration for the HC spot he deserves a bust in the freaking Hall of Fame. The armchair geniuses here continue to overlook the fact that our personnel isn't just young and inexperienced, they're downright awful at many positions. There are guys taking snaps on the offensive line that probably don't even belong in the league. In a normal year they wouldn't even make the team.

Fewell might just be the next great coach but we'll probably never know because the mouth breathers will demand that we get somebody they've heard of. The intelligent approach would be to see how this thing plays out. If Fewell continues to coach well then give him the job, bring in a competent GM and spend the money you'd throw at Shanahan on real players.

+1

It is just foolish to only focus on a big name. Every great coach started out as an unknown at some point.

Here is my problem with the comments/opinions regarding Fewell....

He is 1-1, so lets not get too excited. I think he is performing up to the expectations of this team, but he has not yet performed above those expectations. With the talent the Bills have in the secondary, they should always be good candidates to win the turn over battle. And with their talent in the backfield and at WR, they should be able to put up 31 points with regularity. So lets see what happens the rest of the season, but I think the jury is still out.

O RLY? What were your expectations? This same bunch of players couldn't score more than 3 points against the friggin' Browns.

It's wayyy too early to be naming Fewell HC. It's only been two games. But you either have to be blind or in denial to ignore the difference he has made so far.

PTR

O RLY? What were your expectations? This same bunch of players couldn't score more than 3 points against the friggin' Browns.

It's wayyy too early to be naming Fewell HC. It's only been two games. But you either have to be blind or in denial to ignore the difference he has made so far.

PTR

I see what you're saying, but in my mind's eye, it confirms what I've thought all season. That is, we have much more talent on this team than most anyone recognizes. Due to a completely lackluster HC, they've been grossly underperforming. So is Fewell really that good or is he just awake? Is Fewell good enough to be the next HC? I won't say have a week and a half with the reigns. I'll wait untill week 16 or 17 and see how they're playing.

Atlanta has a winning record and we are playing them on the road. Whatever...I'm sure you'll think up more excuses if the Bills keep winning.

PTR

Atlanta is 6-5 right now, has the 27th rated defense in the league and are 2-4 in their last six games, including a loss to a Carolina Panthers team the Bills beat just a few weeks ago. The Falcons are improving, but, much like the Dolphins, I don't think they're anything more than a marginal playoff contender at this time, despite their record last year. Its not going to be an easy game for the Bills, but I think it is very much winnable.

Atlanta is 6-5 right now, has the 27th rated defense in the league and are 2-4 in their last six games, including a loss to a Carolina Panthers team the Bills beat just a few weeks ago. The Falcons are improving, but, much like the Dolphins, I don't think they're anything more than a marginal playoff contender at this time, despite their record last year. Its not going to be an easy game for the Bills, but I think it is very much winnable.

We'll just have to see how things shake out, won't we?

PTR