Members of SEAL team face Courts Martial

Beerball

I was watching the Band of Brothers marathon yesterday.

Oh, how those Easy Company vets would have to pay in today's Army.

They'd all be in Leavenworth.

Oops. I forgot. That's when we were fighting a really bad enemy and the war meant something.

I was watching the Band of Brothers marathon yesterday.

Oh, how those Easy Company vets would have to pay in today's Army.

They'd all be in Leavenworth.

Oops. I forgot. That's when we were fighting a really bad enemy and the war meant something.

First thing I thought of, too, was the scene where the one soldier in Band of Brothers may or may not have shot three German prisoners.

Important note, though: according to the Navy Times, they're not being charged with abusing him during the capture. The claim is that they lit him up well afterward.

First thing I thought of, too, was the scene where the one soldier in Band of Brothers may or may not have shot three German prisoners.

Important note, though: according to the Navy Times, they're not being charged with abusing him during the capture. The claim is that they lit him up well afterward.

Well then, maybe they shouldn't count to 10 anymore. :thumbdown:

A tap to the gut and disheveling his clothes is almost on par with cutting four people's heads off, burning them, dragging them through the streets and hanging two from a bridge.

America's bending over backwards stuff is all well and good, but I think we're bending near to the point where the head is actually going up the ass.

A tap to the gut and disheveling his clothes is almost on par with cutting four people's heads off, burning them, dragging them through the streets and hanging two from a bridge.

A tap to the gut that gave him a bloody lip. :thumbdown: Fox's reporting sucks.

The Navy isn't "having" the SEALs court-martialled. The SEALs requested the courts martial.

Yes, I noticed that. I don't believe I understand the distinction between the two, except that a courts martial seems more like a trial by jury than the Captains Mast which is perhaps like having a Bench trial. As to Tiger's bloody lip, I think his wife is safe - unless she's in the Reserves.

America's bending over backwards stuff is all well and good, but I think we're bending near to the point where the head is actually going up the ass.

Its not easy to know where that line is, but when guessing, you HAVE to be right. Nobody said it was easy. And if you wind up on either side of that line, its a disaster, one way or the other.

Yes, I noticed that. I don't believe I understand the distinction between the two, except that a courts martial seems more like a trial by jury than the Captains Mast which is perhaps like having a Bench trial. As to Tiger's bloody lip, I think his wife is safe - unless she's in the Reserves.

Administrative vs. judicial punishment, basically. Captain's Mast, they basically get up in front of a CO, and he decides the case and assigns punishment (restricted to quarters, a couple days in the brig on bread and water - all my references are historical, from WWII and earlier, so I don't know what the modern-day punishments would be exactly). A court martial is an actual trial.

Best analogy I can think of in civilian life is working with an IRS agent to establish tax liability, vs. going to tax court and arguing it in front of a judge.

Administrative vs. judicial punishment, basically. Captain's Mast, they basically get up in front of a CO, and he decides the case and assigns punishment (restricted to quarters, a couple days in the brig on bread and water - all my references are historical, from WWII and earlier, so I don't know what the modern-day punishments would be exactly). A court martial is an actual trial.

Best analogy I can think of in civilian life is working with an IRS agent to establish tax liability, vs. going to tax court and arguing it in front of a judge.

Close. The result of an Article 15 proceeding, or Captain's Mast, is called Non-Judicial Punishment because it is usually restricted to lower level offenses and if the Mast actually happens the result is virtually always a guilty finding, because if an investigation clears the individual of the charges the Art 15 proceedings are simply canceled.

It amounts to a black mark on the enlisted man's service record. It is not a criminal trial nor is it intended to be, it is an administrative action taken to address misconduct not deemed to be serious enough to warrent a criminal trial (Court-Martial). But in today's military environment it can ruin a career.

The kicker is that the accused does not have to accept an Art 15 Hearing and can demand a Court Martial. This is normally only done when the charged individual feels very strongly that the charges against them would not hold up in a court of law.

Close. The result of an Article 15 proceeding, or Captain's Mast, is called Non-Judicial Punishment because it is usually restricted to lower level offenses and if the Mast actually happens the result is virtually always a guilty finding, because if an investigation clears the individual of the charges the Art 15 proceedings are simply canceled.

It amounts to a black mark on the enlisted man's service record. It is not a criminal trial nor is it intended to be, it is an administrative action taken to address misconduct not deemed to be serious enough to warrent a criminal trial (Court-Martial). But in today's military environment it can ruin a career.

The kicker is that the accused does not have to accept an Art 15 Hearing and can demand a Court Martial. This is normally only done when the charged individual feels very strongly that the charges against them would not hold up in a court of law.

The limitation of book learning. This is actually one of the few times I not only anticipated but looked forward to you stepping in and correcting anything I got wrong.

You're still a !@#$er, of course.

Unless they get some weenie, bleeding-heart judge... i think they will be fine.

Not many of those in the Military Justice System.

The limitation of book learning. This is actually one of the few times I not only anticipated but looked forward to you stepping in and correcting anything I got wrong.

You're still a !@#$er, of course.

Google "Fecal Hurling Primate" and your picture will appear.