So where are we really headed?

DarthICE

I for one really hope Ralph and Russ listen to Jim Kelly. From his article he is dead on esp. the fact we MUST find a stud at QB. One thing hasn't changed in all these seasons of football, those with good quarterbacks succeed more than most.

As for the coaching front, I still feel the Buffalo Bills ( and Buffalo in General ) is NOT an attractive option for the 'top' Head coaches out there....at this time. It's like Jason Locinfora (sp) from NFLN said about Shanahan...'follow the owner, follow the QUARTERBACK' to know where he is going. Most of these guys want to walk into a better situation than what we have.

Now, is that the end of the world? Far from it! I still say call Ron Wolf. That cat built a constant contender / a superbowl winner in Green bay, an even smaller market than Buffalo. He has the experience to balance keeping the fans interested while at the same time building a team properly. Another option may be Charlie Casserly. I personally go with finding an established General Manager that can build this team up quickly, who can make much better selections in the draft and Free agency, and go with a Head coach that is '2nd tier' that would want to come in here and do more with the talent we will be bringing in.

Oh and I also agree with Ralph, lets go with an OFFENSIVE minded HC for once. All these defensive minded clowns have = crap in the last 10 years.

It is darkest before the dawn, lets hope Ralph Wilson brings the sunshine finally.

The problem with all the big hype QBs coming out of college is most never live up to their billing. Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are two QBs who contributed right away, but both also went to teams that were fairly strong to start. I look at Stafford at Detroit and cringe. That is what happens when you throw a QB into the ocean and tell him to start swimming, and I guarantee that the same will happen if the Bills waste a #1 pick on a QB right now.

What the Bills should do is build up the lines and improve the defense in the 2010 draft and add a free agent QB. Get the team to a respectable level, then get your QB. Otherwise it will be more of busts.

Speaking of Joe Flacco, here's a guy who was a D-1AA QB out of Delaware. A few draftniks saw his potential but nobody was going ga-ga over him. Bills fans would do well to stop concentrating only on the big names and look around for the QBs who actually have the arm and size to play in the NFL. Why any Bills fans are in love with southern QBs who never played in bad weather and have noodles for arms is beyond me.

PTR

I for one really hope Ralph and Russ listen to Jim Kelly. From his article he is dead on esp. the fact we MUST find a stud at QB. One thing hasn't changed in all these seasons of football, those with good quarterbacks succeed more than most.

As for the coaching front, I still feel the Buffalo Bills ( and Buffalo in General ) is NOT an attractive option for the 'top' Head coaches out there....at this time. It's like Jason Locinfora (sp) from NFLN said about Shanahan...'follow the owner, follow the QUARTERBACK' to know where he is going. Most of these guys want to walk into a better situation than what we have.

Now, is that the end of the world? Far from it! I still say call Ron Wolf. That cat built a constant contender / a superbowl winner in Green bay, an even smaller market than Buffalo. He has the experience to balance keeping the fans interested while at the same time building a team properly. Another option may be Charlie Casserly. I personally go with finding an established General Manager that can build this team up quickly, who can make much better selections in the draft and Free agency, and go with a Head coach that is '2nd tier' that would want to come in here and do more with the talent we will be bringing in.

Oh and I also agree with Ralph, lets go with an OFFENSIVE minded HC for once. All these defensive minded clowns have = crap in the last 10 years.

It is darkest before the dawn, lets hope Ralph Wilson brings the sunshine finally.

I don't think Green Bay is a smaller market than Buffalo. The city of GB is smaller in population but the Packers pull heavily from Milwaukee and the rest of Wisconsin. They're basically a statewide franchise and Packer nation descends on the frozen tundra from all over the country. I was at Lambeau for the Bills preseason game there were cheese heads from all over the US. I sat next to a couple from Colorado that had driven in for the game.

There's also a bajillion year waiting list for season tickets.

since Ralph has no clue, the #1 priority is to find a good GM who will mold the Bills into a tough blue collar team which can control the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. First step is gut the existing front office and disband the "inner circle".

Anything less than this is pissing in the wind.

The GM then needs to hire the coach who can shares these beliefs and can execute the plan. The coach needs to have head coaching experience, but does not need to be one of the egomaniacs for whom they will have to break the bank.

Someone like Kirk Ferentz has proven himself running a program and has NFL experience as an OL coach under Bellicheat.

since Ralph has no clue, the #1 priority is to find a good GM who will mold the Bills into a tough blue collar team which can control the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. First step is gut the existing front office and disband the "inner circle".

Anything less than this is pissing in the wind.

The GM then needs to hire the coach who can shares these beliefs and can execute the plan. The coach needs to have head coaching experience, but does not need to be one of the egomaniacs for whom they will have to break the bank.

Someone like Kirk Ferentz has proven himself running a program and has NFL experience as an OL coach under Bellicheat.

How about Randy Mueller, current UFL commish and the GM who built the Saints?

PTR

How about Randy Mueller, current UFL commish and the GM who built the Saints?

PTR

I would be leary of any football guy who has been out of the NFL loop, for whatever reason.

Mueller was not good enough to command another NFL GM spot so he went elsewhere.

The Bills would be better off stealing a top GMs assistant, who has been heavily involved in the current operations of a successful franchise. Find the best GMs and then evaluate their assistants

Pioli top guy was already snatched

somebody working with Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore, for example

It is only my opinion but this is what I would do:

- If Sam Bradford is there at my pick I run up to the podium......he has all the tools we are looking for and is a cold weather QB

- Instead of relying on rookie offensive linemen get veteran linemen in those spots. It did not work out with the LG from the redskins BUT that doesn't mean it wont work. Langston Walker WOULD have worked out had they not tried to make him a LT. It would mean bringing in AT LEAST two good OL. Then you draft linemen high in the draft for depth.

- I am not ready to give up on some of the OL we have now...they are just young and inexperienced. Bell, Levitre, Meradith, and Wood are all players that have shown promise. Brad Butler comes back next year. I just want to RELY on them if we can get good OL through free agency to complete for spots.

- Our offense sucks......and I dont know whether it is AVP's schemes or not....I also wonder if he survives the purge and they bring in a proven OC

- I think TO is gone this offseason but I would still bring in a vet WR till we know what we have in Hardy.

- If Sam Bradford is there at my pick I run up to the podium......he has all the tools we are looking for and is a cold weather QB

- Instead of relying on rookie offensive linemen get veteran linemen in those spots. It did not work out with the LG from the redskins BUT that doesn't mean it wont work. Langston Walker WOULD have worked out had they not tried to make him a LT. It would mean bringing in AT LEAST two good OL. Then you draft linemen high in the draft for depth.

- I am not ready to give up on some of the OL we have now...they are just young and inexperienced. Bell, Levitre, Meradith, and Wood are all players that have shown promise. Brad Butler comes back next year. I just want to RELY on them if we can get good OL through free agency to complete for spots.

- Our offense sucks......and I dont know whether it is AVP's schemes or not....I also wonder if he survives the purge and they bring in a proven OC

- I think TO is gone this offseason but I would still bring in a vet WR till we know what we have in Hardy.

Ditto on Bradford.

Also, judging from the way they dropped like flies this season, the new regime should stockpile the o-line and lb corps like levy/jauron hoarded d-backs. And start by signing FA guard Kevin Boothe - we need to steal a former Cornellian from the Giants just to reverse 'the curse of Pete Gogolak'. :thumbsup:

Lastly, I'd go with an offensive-minded HC/OC. Maybe even an 'outside-the-box' candidate, instead of the conventional choice of whatever NFL retreads are currently unemployed - maybe someone like...

Mike Leach

Isn't that what they tried in 2006? A first round QB with mobility and a strong arm that can throw in Buffalo. Free agent offensive linemen - G, RT, C. New OC from Rams.

Isn't that what they tried in 2006? A first round QB with mobility and a strong arm that can throw in Buffalo. Free agent offensive linemen - G, RT, C. New OC from Rams.

We totally wiffed on the LG position but like I said I dont think it should keep us from trying it again.....we have also wiffed on taking high 1st round draft pick LT's.

To me the common denom of that was Losman......here is somehing we havent tried yet.....lets take a high profile QB that had great success in college from a major college program like Bradford. Not someone like Losman or Edwards who didn't have great college careers and make excuses for it while we draft them (both the tag was they played behind bad College OL's) lets get a QB who comes in with the confidence that he got it done in a big way in a big time college football program and actually has some winning pedigree

Now....I am not saying that its going to WORK....I am only saying it is something we have not tried yet (Brian Brohm being the exception)

We totally wiffed on the LG position but like I said I dont think it should keep us from trying it again.....we have also wiffed on taking high 1st round draft pick LT's.

To me the common denom of that was Losman......here is somehing we havent tried yet.....lets take a high profile QB that had great success in college from a major college program like Bradford. Not someone like Losman or Edwards who didn't have great college careers and make excuses for it while we draft them (both the tag was they played behind bad College OL's) lets get a QB who comes in with the confidence that he got it done in a big way in a big time college football program and actually has some winning pedigree

Now....I am not saying that its going to WORK....I am only saying it is something we have not tried yet (Brian Brohm being the exception)

what 1st round LT pick have the Bills blown?

Mike Williams was always a fat unmotivated RT, and was always a stupid pick with the true LT McKinnie still on the board.

In addition to playing in a conference which inflates his stats due to lack of defense, Bradford has injured his shoulder twice - the 2nd by basically falling down.

Typical bills move will be to trade up to get the still injured Bradford - who will probably never duplicate his college success.

remember before he got hurt, he played like crap against the Gators defense with some speed and talent.

Mike Williams was always a fat unmotivated RT, and was always a stupid pick with the true LT McKinnie still on the board.

In addition to playing in a conference which inflates his stats due to lack of defense, Bradford has injured his shoulder twice - the 2nd by basically falling down.

Typical bills move will be to trade up to get the still injured Bradford - who will probably never duplicate his college success.

remember before he got hurt, he played like crap against the Gators defense with some speed and talent.

Do you really think we drafted Mike Williams to stay at RT? You dont do that with a pick that high! I totally agree that McKinney should have been the selection but that is why the bills have been so bad for so long is making bad draft selections.

I am not going to get into a debate about college conferences. Oklahoma is a big time program that is putting NFL quality players into the pros. Has Bradford had injury issues prior to this year?

It is typical of the bills to trade up to get players (Losman and Poz) but we have not done that with such a high selection. I also think it is important to remember that if Ralph holds true to his promise the same guys are not going to be making those picks.

by the way.....I wont cry if that first pick is a Left Tackle........but we have two needs here our starting QB is not on this roster.

????

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatolo...mnav_undeclared

He also never carried his team. His Hiesman year that Ok offense was run first pass second. His running game and OL won those games and made him look like some kind of superstar, whish he never was. I was interested in seeing him carry that teams O this season like Matt Ryan did at BC, but he got injured, twice, and missed the entire year. I will pass on those ????