Puff Piece

Dawgg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Mark Gaughan chat:

Is Donte Whitner a second-string safety now? Wilson and Byrd seem to be a more effective combo.

12:08

Allen Wilson writes about that today. I asked Perry Fewell that question - if everyone's healthy does Wilson start ahead of Whitner - and he wouldn't answer it ... I think that's a statement in itself ... Whitner wound up getting about 60-plus snaps last week, just because Byrd was limited ...

There are things that Dante does well......

Just not enough to warrant the draft selection.

I sincerely hope to god this new regime never takes a 1st round DB again.....we dont even know if we have a starter in McKelvin.

good thing we passed on the stud LT Ryan Clady for McKelvin

probably help Shanahan focus on how stupid the Bills front office has been in acquiring talent.

It's weird how the coaches put Byrd and Wilson in positions to make plays and they never did that for Donte. What an absolute joke of a pick. Let's hear Marv defend that one.

Coaches put every player in a position to make plays. Making the plays is up to the player. Are you suggesting a coach would undermine his team by intentionally not putting a player in position to make plays?

It's taken nearly 4 complete seasons to see that Whitner wasn't the player many wanted him to be and it had more to do with DW being Marv's first draft pick.

Where's The Dean, Ramius, C. Biscuit, syhuang, and all the characters who were quick to jump to Lil Donte's defense???

Buffalo News

Excuses can begin..........

NOW! :lol:

Well its clear he hasnt had enough time to develope. I mean, not every NFL player can adjust to the game in only three years, some take longer. You just give him another 8-10 years and I bet he is a stud. He will have a much better career than that Ngata fellow......

Where's The Dean, Ramius, C. Biscuit, syhuang, and all the characters who were quick to jump to Lil Donte's defense???

I think those posters wanted DW to succeed simply because he was Marv's first pick. They were enamored with Levy as GM and utterly convinced that he would get this team back onto the high ground.

This is more proof of why competent people versed in NFL personnel must be in charge without significant interference from the owner or team treasurer. Everything takes time to play out, but Levy's time as GM set this franchise back almost as much as TD did in 04-05.

I think those posters wanted DW to succeed simply because he was Marv's first pick. They were enamored with Levy as GM and utterly convinced that he would get this team back onto the high ground.

That and also also allowing our draft picks a couple of seasons before declaring them a bust or a wasted pick. It is easy to sit back in retrospect and bash our draft picks but if Whitner had turned into a Polamalu or a Bob Sanders, I doubt if anybody would be gloating on their own right-ness about the pick. Make no mistake, I do agree that our top picks would have been better spent on the lines first but to bash the FO for not attempting to pick a franchise safety is not right.

This situation is likely to play itself out again with this years first choice, a front line pick. At the time the pick was made, I was quite happy because coming out of last season we were woefully lacking at the DE position. The FO or the coaches had no way of knowing that Kelsay would suddenly start playing well. As of now, Maybin's lack of impact plays is worrisome, but it is too early to tell if he will eventually be an Erik Flowers or a Mario Williams. Again, when the pick was made, we needed a DE.