We won't know who the coach is untill January

billsfan89

Now I think that Shanahan will be the Bills next coach since the money and giving up of control with Ralph doesn't seem to be an issue and he is a guy who has a huge ego (Which means he thinks that he is the reason for success and wants the challenge that comes with this team) who also doesn't like big media outlets.

BUT wither it happens or not we will not know for at least another month. I don't think any big name will sign one before the end of the year or at least another month. So I wouldn't take the fact that after all these meetings if Shanny doesn't sign on as a sign that he isn't going to be the coach. All these guys have agents and they want to leverage other offers or at least see what else is out there.

Coaches have a business side to themselves that won't let them take the first job that is offered. In my opinion what happens over the next few weeks isn't a sign either way of who will and won't be coaching this team. Around Christmas is when the real stuff will go down with this team and its future. So while the meetings are a good sign I just don't see Shanny or someone else taking this job at this point in time.

While a final decision on HC will not be made until January, I think this meeting was helpful for the Bills decisioin makers in that they now have a better idea on how comfortable they are on bringing a Coach who will also be GM versus hiring a GM and then a coach. It will be interesting to see if the Bills change their focus from Shanny/Cowher to hiring a GM before the end of the season and then a new coach later on.

While a final decision on HC will not be made until January, I think this meeting was helpful for the Bills decisioin makers in that they now have a better idea on how comfortable they are on bringing a Coach who will also be GM versus hiring a GM and then a coach. It will be interesting to see if the Bills change their focus from Shanny/Cowher to hiring a GM before the end of the season and then a new coach later on.

Don't get me wrong the search has already begun and is in full swing BUT as much as Ralph, Russ, and Co want a guy like Shanny to come in now they are just going to have to be patient keep doing their due diligence until late December. While us fans are just going to have to realize that this team isn't going to get the guy until then.

Don't get me wrong the search has already begun and is in full swing BUT as much as Ralph, Russ, and Co want a guy like Shanny to come in now they are just going to have to be patient keep doing their due diligence until late December. While us fans are just going to have to realize that this team isn't going to get the guy until then.

Much agreed. Another poster (couldn't find the post right now) said earlier that it'll be telling how many otherr interviews Shanny goes on over the next few months. Of course, he'll be somewhat limited to teams that fire their HC early, which may not be many. But, I do think it's a good point. It'll be interesting to see how many teams Shanny's name comes up with as HC jobs become discussed.

I'm not so sure its a given Shanny and Bills would wait a month. If we offer what he needs (and a bit extra to not wait until January) there is a lot of benefit Shannahan could gain by being with this team and roster for the final 6 weeks.

If Shanny felt good about the Bills and the pay...he's not going to flippantly throw away the advantage that seeing his new roster up close for 6 weeks would bring. Marv Levy had this exact advantage in 1986.

I'm not so sure its a given Shanny and Bills would wait a month. If we offer what he needs (and a bit extra to not wait until January) there is a lot of benefit Shannahan could gain by being with this team and roster for the final 6 weeks.

If Shanny felt good about the Bills and the pay...he's not going to flippantly throw away the advantage that seeing his new roster up close for 6 weeks would bring. Marv Levy had this exact advantage in 1986.

Well he could still be looking at (From a far) the roster and who he wants and doesn't want. Admittedly if he just took the job (as GM then took over the head coaching job after the season) he could get a better more up close look as well as begin to build the structure that he wants.

I just think that he doesn't want to commit till he has all of his options laid out in front of him. I also think that a deal of this magnitude might not get fully ironed out till late December. But yeah I get your point that it would only benefit him to take the job asap and clean house and begin to install the structure he wants in place.

I bet he signs within a week.

No way. If he signs within a week, the Blls get slapped with a Rooney Rule violation & the league voids the contract. That's why the premise of Shanahan taking over like Marv (Pre-Rooney rule) is absurd.

The Bills have to play it this way-Fewell coaches out the season. He gets the interview as the current coach. The Bills then can hire Shanahan 2 days later.

Now there's nothing to say the Bills can't reach a verbal agreement next week, everyone keeps quiet, Fewell gets interviewed at the end of the season, then Shanahan signs at the verbally agreed to terms.

Or: Tony Dungy gets interviewed next week and signed. Dungy can take over next week.