"Man on Wire"

ajzepp

This was really unexpected, but as I posted in another thread or two, one of the coolest things about having just bought an xbox is the ability to stream movies from Netflix instantly to my HT. Over the past week or so, I've been browsing what's available (and it's a LOT), and have come to the conclusion that it's a real blessing that new releases are one of the few categories of films not available yet via streaming. As a result, I have found myself looking into films that I typically wouldn't rent via the mail - mainly documentaries. This morning I just finished watching "Man on a Wire". It's the story of Frenchman Philipe Petite and his dream to wire walk the space between the Twin Towers. This was a really, really moving film and I highly recommend it to all you guys.

I can't begin to tell you how emotionally affected I was by this film, and in completely different ways. In the beginning, it was actual footage of the construction of the North and South towers back in 1970 that really had me welling up. If you can watch that footage and not be affected by it, you're just not human. I was watching what I thought was ground zero, and thinking to myself, why does this footage look so old?? Then it hit me as to why. Contrast the sadness of the WTC tragedy with the lifelong dreams of a real life Don Quixote, and you end up being on quite the emotional roller coaster.

Anyway, I hope some of you guys will check it out. It's a fantastic story.

a great movie... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This was really unexpected, but as I posted in another thread or two, one of the coolest things about having just bought an xbox is the ability to stream movies from Netflix instantly to my HT. Over the past week or so, I've been browsing what's available (and it's a LOT), and have come to the conclusion that it's a real blessing that new releases are one of the few categories of films not available yet via streaming. As a result, I have found myself looking into films that I typically wouldn't rent via the mail - mainly documentaries. This morning I just finished watching "Man on a Wire". It's the story of Frenchman Philipe Petite and his dream to wire walk the space between the Twin Towers. This was a really, really moving film and I highly recommend it to all you guys.

I can't begin to tell you how emotionally affected I was by this film, and in completely different ways. In the beginning, it was actual footage of the construction of the North and South towers back in 1970 that really had me welling up. If you can watch that footage and not be affected by it, you're just not human. I was watching what I thought was ground zero, and thinking to myself, why does this footage look so old?? Then it hit me as to why. Contrast the sadness of the WTC tragedy with the lifelong dreams of a real life Don Quixote, and you end up being on quite the emotional roller coaster.

a great movie... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can always tell when I've seen something special, cause it stays on my mind the rest of the day (and sometimes well beyond that).

Cool, was looking for movie ideas for the long weekend. Thanks for the insight.

Let us know how you liked it if you end up checking it out

Very cool Pooj!

Not trying to change topics... But your post got me thinking about the towers. There are re-runs of old Barney Miller eps that have the towers in the opening sequence. It always makes me sad... Yet, I would never want them to change it or delete that opening sequence.

I've been DVRing those - some great TV right there. Obviously filmed in front of an audience... Abe Vigoda was a master of reacting to them.

I've been DVRing those - some great TV right there. Obviously filmed in front of an audience... Abe Vigoda was a master of reacting to them.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You are right... Some great TV!! They air Taxi too... I almost drop dead how funny those shows are too.

Oh... Abe is still living! He seemed old back then!! I just Gooogled him... There is a band named after him! :thumbsup:

Great film, but xbox netflix is awful, you have to pay for it, it's slow, pq on every single movie is of piss poor quality. I bought a three month pass to check it and Forza 3 out.

On the other hand, PS3 netflix 1080i films are surprisingly good. (I think they are actually 720p if I remember correctly)

Great film, but xbox netflix is awful, you have to pay for it, it's slow, pq on every single movie is of piss poor quality. I bought a three month pass to check it and Forza 3 out.

On the other hand, PS3 netflix 1080i films are surprisingly good. (I think they are actually 720p if I remember correctly)

I totally disagree. My HT has a 1080p projector of very good quality, and I watch most of my films on blu-ray. I can view as many titles as I want for free (included in my Netflix membership), and many of the titles are now in HD. You maybe did not have your xbox settings correct, or perhaps it's been a while since you've used the service. Xbox Live is less than $4 per month, and it's totally worth it.